German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Tygo was not the hero dog or anything, but on a search he was the first contact with the subject and came back to do his jump alert and take me in.

This is his first legit find on a real search.

Six of us and two dogs on on team one, at a search. After 5.5 hours and locating some other campers, we were shouting and the dogs got interest and started moving away from us. Then we heard a whistle then shouts then Tygo came back and jumped on me and took me in.

We would have found them without dogs but I'm quietly super proud of my boy as only a newbie can be. :grin2:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I am soo happy for you!! Awesome awesome job!! I have a small brag too, if I may, as we both had dogs certified within about 6mos of each other... My girl and I were called as the only dog team on a 74hr + aged trail.. We have never worked that long of aging, but we gave it a go... She was key in getting DOT over 30 miles (we jumped trail via car after a mile or more of trailing to next locale and did same thing).. When a man tracker (human) found footprints and pole prints my girl had to locate the track (we were positioned away from actual trail and didn't know LKP, but close enough for her to smell it) and confirm it was the subjects... She did...

This all lead to us believing she was mobile and still following the trail system even though it was different then her agenda.. She was found layer at a containment point.. So we didn't actually find the person like you did (which is AWESOME!! CONGRATS!!!) but we were intrigue in DOT, confirming DOT and footprints... I was scared!! My girl worked 8hrs and never gave up on grueling 44f pouring rain and rugged country... Very proud of her!

Karin, so happy for you and Tygo! You have worked so hard and this is a great success for you. Way to go! (and I am sorry if my little brag was ill placed, I was excited too and had to share :) )

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And way to go on your achievement as well H7 ! That is awesome and you know the feeling I'm having when the hours and hours of training and work get you to that point. Pretty darn cool.

So what is "she was found layer at containment point" mean? I think there are typos in that. You mentioned kind of challenging weather. We started hiking at 10PM at night at 7200 feet. Found subjects at 3:45 AM or so. Beautiful time to work but I was a bit loopy the next day.

And thank you everyone else. Very kind words.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
How great, any SAR teams deserve all the praise and thanks we can send..

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Lol, yes, definitely typos (I use my phone and auto spellchecker is a bugger!).. The subjects met by her family at a containment point, basically next junction in trail...

Weather difficulties? Absolutely! The day prior they had 55mph gusts and 35 sustained at times, pouring rain.. The day of (got call to standby at 2130 and confirmation at 2300, so last minute packing and prayer and fitful sleep, I know you know ;) ) callout was 0800 but 2hrs away, we called off at 1700hrs after we confirmed with my girl she was mobile and in another County, but seemingly doing just fine by herself... Pouring rain, fog and while our elevation wasn't as steep (5,525) it was 90° slopes and dead fall everywhere, and did I say it was raining? Lol.. Water proof boots become aquariums after runoff fills them up, lol.. Thankfully we started in a.m. Instead of at night.... All in all, and especially because of the well being of the subject, it was fun... Exhausting (my girl needed 2 days to fully recover although she was ready to go back out the next day when she thought I was) even though we only trailed about 8 miles total, but that was up and down up and down up and down, rinse and repeat a dozen more times, haha.. Got a flat tire on way to next locale.. My comms relay team (mtns cause major signal disturbance) became my pit crew (awesome guys) and then when going home I get pulled over by cops... Was doing 53 in a 45...ugh..3 of my teammates saw (they were in parking lot I was pulled over in) and gave brags on how much my girl helped and saved time, etc... Cop was like 'yeah, license and registration please'.. Comes back and says, ' I have 2 tickets for you ' I'm like, ok... My insurance is going up poop! He says' here is a ticket for 10% off donuts and one for 10% of coffee.. Thank you for your service ' whew! Awesome guy! Thank you Lord! Lol... Come to find out that the whole team heard over their hams my being pulled over... Keeps ya humble, haha

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Coolest cop ever!!!!! I love that it was doughnuts too. I almost peed my pants laughing at that one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts