German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between work-centric stress and the rest of the daily grind, I decided I really wanted to find something to do this summer, outside of my usual routine. But it had to fit in with my weird work schedule. So after dabbling a little here and there in years past, I really dove into agility this summer. The other things I've tended to do with the dogs are more serious in nature and involve a fair deal of stress, require very careful work in training, sometimes have zero margin for error, etc. This is different, and I think that's part of why we're having so much fun with it.

We've run in AKC and UKI so far, and will probably check out UKC and CPE. There is soooo much out there, which is kind of awesome. Running in the 20" jump height puts us up against border collies pretty much every time, but we've managed to beat a few of them, and even earn a few respectable placements. My handling needs to catch up to my very fast dog :D

One of the most interesting experiences this summer wasn't at a trial, it was at the state fair. Ours hosts a bunch of canine competitions, which aren't AKC sanctioned or for titles or anything - people enter and run for cash prizes. I think the prize money brings out some different dogs than the usual local dog sport people. The whole experience of competing at the fair was fun, and involved quite the ordeal - taking the dog through security (metal detectors, pat-downs, special ID cards for the dog), being "backstage", and then the experience of running a course at night, under the lights, in front of crazy yelling drunk adults and children waving giant inflatable poop emoji prizes. And one kid who was literally throwing cheese covered nachos onto the course. Ahhh.... Summer in Wisconsin.

We earned a placement, and it was a really fun night. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,107 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun!I wish our local fair would have events like that.

·
Super Moderator
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a lot of fun!I wish our local fair would have events like that.
Migrate west for fair week! We have plenty of deep fried cheese foods on sticks to share with outsiders.

And seriously, the prize money for some of the comps isn't chump change. Dock Diving finals is up to $600 for first place. :eek:

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Congratulations! Look like lots of fun and $ money prizes to boot now makes it extra worth while! That’s good they offer money prizes!

·
Super Moderator
32,539 Posts
How fun!

·
Super Moderator
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!

Congratulations! Look like lots of fun and $ money prizes to boot now makes it extra worth while! That’s good they offer money prizes!
It's really kinda interesting to see how that affects who enters (compared to sanctioned dog stuff for legs/titles/etc). The weather has been pretty gross lately (80's, 90's, and raining a lot) so the prize money probably helps motivate people to commit to attending, even at night after work, and dealing with parking and the general madness. It seems to be working, there are a lot of people who watch the dog events - the bleachers were packed all night. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,539 Posts
Spectators are fun. I always liked it when we had flyball tournaments at venues where there were people around. They would often watch in amazement and ask lots of questions, and I enjoyed explaining the sport. No prize money, ever, though!

·
Super Moderator
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spectators are fun. I always liked it when we had flyball tournaments at venues where there were people around. They would often watch in amazement and ask lots of questions, and I enjoyed explaining the sport. No prize money, ever, though!
Yes! It's kinda fun to talk to "non dog people" about dog sports sometimes.

Our whopping winnings came to $25..... i probably shouldn't quit my day job, hahaha.

·
Super Moderator
32,539 Posts
One of the venues we longer have access to had two indoor soccer rings with artificial turf, and some courts for basketball and volleyball. I remember one tournament where my club was hosting, so we were there very early setting up the field and getting things ready. There was also a volleyball tournament that weekend for teenaged girls, so some of the kids and their parents were there early too. One dad stopped me as I was walking by to ask what we were going to be doing so I explained what flyball racing was. He was amazed! During breaks from the volleyball a bunch of the girls and parents sat in the bleachers next to the ring to watch the fun. It was really cool.

Sometimes spectators can be annoying, like when the tournament is at a public park and parents let their little kids get too close and they make noises at the dogs, or when people bring their dogs and want to stand right next to the ring. Generally though, they're pretty good about it when we ask them to please move back a bit, and most of the time people are polite and respectful. Those of us that had friendly dogs would let them greet those who asked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts