German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, she's a black Lab...

Grimm has had leash-doggy-reactivity issues. At the park we go to, there is an ancient guide dog there with handler and handler' friend, who sit on a bench under oak trees while the dog lays at their feet (mostly). The dog is almost 13, female, a small but quite stocky black Labrador with a gentle temperament.

The two ladies with the dog have allowed me to set Grimm in a down-stay a yard or two away from the guide dog, so she can model behavior for him, and so the "all is calm" vibes can influence him to help lose the freak-out habit being round other dogs while on lead.

Today, Grimm did excellent. For Grimm. No barking or lunging, but twice he did break his down-stay during the hour we were there, to gently sniff Bekki and kiss her ears. Basicly, they "met" twice-- all calm behavior. I DID insist that he down again immediately.

It did not take long for Grimm to really r-e-l-a-x. He rolled onto his side a few times, put his head between his paws a few times, not at all crazy hyper-- and often times just 1 or 2 feet from Bekki!

Do you think this will help? The ladies and Bekki are there monday- friday for an hour, and have welcomed us to sit with them. Do you think these experiences will add to Grimm's ability to learn to chill out round other dogs?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Ah! Leave it to a female to tame the beast!! lol.

I think it will do him some good. I mean it doesnt seem to be hurting anything at all.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I think dogs learn from other dogs. I will bet that she is just throwing off mellow vibes and Hyper boy could use some of that. I would mark the good behavior with a good maring word so he understands that chillin is good.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Val, I tried to massage him, but he just rolled over and did the about-to-take-a-nap "nyup nyup nyup" mouth sounds. Can anyone do TTouch on dogs who melt too easily at petting?

I did say "Fiiiiinnne, fiiiiiinnne.." as I petted him and he flopped onto his side.

I think you're right, chillin' out vibes around another dog MUST be good for him! We will go again tomorrow, but I cannot run him beforehand because it will be 90 degrees. Hopefully, it will be too hot for him to get worked up, and he'll just relax pretty well like today!

He did break his down to kiss her a few times.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Grimm is smittened.

She is teaching him how to be calm...what could be wrong with that lesson. Do it as much as possible.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The soft choking miasmic stench of a nearby garbage can wafted dreamily through the air, the birds sang, the trees sighed in the wind.

Today Grimm had another date with calm, relaxed sleepy Bekki the 12 year old guide dog! No, he doesn't always obey perfectly with The Ultimate Distraction (another dog) there, but we work on it.

Grimm gave her several kisses UNDER her chin-- submissive and polite... or, trying to be. She gave him a chaste kiss, too, but mostly tried to look regal in the presence of her eager but nerdy suitor.

Basicly, all we do is have the dogs right next to eachother in down-stays for an hour. That's it. One or the other breaks their down, gets corrected, then back to them laying near eachother, Grimm flirting with playing footsie, or giving an occasional kiss, she with being tolerant and proud and c-a-l-m.

I have the feeling these experiences are worth their weight in gold!!

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Patti, get as many as these training sessions with the lovely Bekki before you guys head to paradise. These are still important lessons for Mr. Grimm and you will be suprised in the future (if you need them) just how he will remember these lessons.

Val

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the encouragement, Val. During these "lessons" he basicly just blobs out in his down-stay. I tire him out beforehand with some running free in a big grassy valley first. Then, all tired out, we go find Bekki. I just have him do what she does-- a down-stay for about an hour. He's panting and really tired out by the time we get there. I can't guarantee in future I will always have had the chance with other dogs to "take the edge off" with excersise first, so.. I am using excersise now to try to create a pattern... and I hope, many memories of just chilling out beside another dog.

Val, you are the best for adding your input! Thank you!!

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I agree Val, I would spend any possible amount of time with Bekki. It will be so very good for him. The more time spent with a calm polite dog the more he will associate calm and polite when he meets new dogs in his new home and in his new woods.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Amaruq. I am hoping some calm and low-key will rub off on Grimmi... pleeeeeeeease?
Today he smooched her a few times under the chin. But mostly, they just lay nose to nose and snooze in the shade. A good thing, I hope! He has never met a senior dog before. Nice that he is so respectful.

Fingers crossed that daily 1 hour snooze sessions with Bekki help create a calm-with-dogs vibe for Grimmi!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Patti,

The more socialization Rafi has gotten the calmer he has become around other dogs. Today a friend came over with her little pug mix. He really wanted to play but she didn't so he lay down nearby with his ball. I think taking some of the mystery out of the other dog stuff can really help.

Hopefully he can have some regular doggie friends in his new home too!

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
I agree. Sometimes just associating with other dogs helps make a dog less "OMG another dog!" Whether to initiate a party or to act defensive, the result is still the same.
That's one of the reasons I try and get Ris to interact with other dogs as much as possible. So that she sees other dogs are really no big deal and that they're not out to get her.

Sounds like Bekki will be a good influence for Grimmi.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Her silky ears tantalized, her flews flapped beguilingly. A few more stolen kisses on this fourth date at the clandestine location under the oak trees in the park. Her black otter-tail metronomed, his wolfy GSD brush swished against the grey flagstones in his down-stay. Delivering kisses, he broke that down-stay. Oh, well.. I did correct him, we ARE working on it.

I am going to keep this up. Basicly, they just lay near eachother. Today, I couldn't even really tire Grimm out properly beforehand, as the grassy valley he runs offlead for an hour in has too many hikers (it's Saturday). I threw the ball till he was panting hard, but, it wasn't like I usually do before these clandestine encounters with Bekki... I usually totally tire him. Today though, he did okay! He seems to "get it," that we totally chill out with her on the shady stones under the trees. He doesn't pay attention to her the entire time, but they are right next to eachother, with the stunning brunette modeling correct behavior for him, and sharing her, like, totally chillin' vibe. We continue this coming week!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts