German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As luck and Murphy's law would have it the upstairs AC decides to die when we can least afford to replace it (hubs was laid off late last year). Replace it we must so we contract with our local HVAC company and they show up bright and early today to start work.

I put the pup pack in the master bedroom since the techs will be in and out the front door doing the tear out and new install of the indoor components.

I speak with the tech outside in front of the garage and lead him into the house to show him the access to the indoor air handler unit.

He follows me, not speaking, as we walk the hallway past the bedroom to the stairs.

Ilda did not hear him speak.

She did hear his footsteps and started into what I call her 'intruder alert' bark.

I and hubs had been walking around with nary a peep out her. That dog recognized the footsteps of a stranger!

Sgt. Ilda, on duty. :cool:

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Good job Ilda! They know when it's not family for sure even if they can't see them.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
What a good puppy!!! you must be so proud =)

I think they also know cars.... seriously.
Our cars pull up, never any barking. Anyone else pulls up and we know right away.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya know, these dogs, just when you think they've shown you their abilities and the level to which their senses operate, they show you yet another level!

Neko, I hadn't thought about the car sounds but now that you mention it, they do recognize the difference between 'normal car' and 'new' car.

Yup my Ilda girlie, she's da bomb....like I said, you just wait 'til Z is an adult... :cool:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Gunther always knows when my husband is coming home versus when a guest comes over. He's up against the window trying to get to my husband and if it's a guest he just sits and stares and gives his big boy bark until they come in..then it's all "love meeeee"

·
Registered
217 Posts
Gypsy recongnizes the noise my dad's motorcycle makes, so she definitely knows when he fe
gets home.

·
Registered
67 Posts
They definitely know! My dad lives with me and works from home most days and he says as soon as they hear my car, they are both at the baby gate whining because they know mama is home from work lol. (baby gate to stop pup from racing downstairs to the front door)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
footsteps and smell.

As luck and Murphy's law would have it the upstairs AC decides to die when we can least afford to replace it (hubs was laid off late last year). Replace it we must so we contract with our local HVAC company and they show up bright and early today to start work.

I put the pup pack in the master bedroom since the techs will be in and out the front door doing the tear out and new install of the indoor components.

I speak with the tech outside in front of the garage and lead him into the house to show him the access to the indoor air handler unit.

He follows me, not speaking, as we walk the hallway past the bedroom to the stairs.

Ilda did not hear him speak.

She did hear his footsteps and started into what I call her 'intruder alert' bark.

I and hubs had been walking around with nary a peep out her.

>>>>> That dog recognized the footsteps of a stranger!<<<<<

Sgt. Ilda, on duty. :cool:

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably right doggiedad!

How acute their senses are just continues to amaze me.

Though the different temperaments shine through too.

In my pack Ilda is definitely more alert and more suspicious. Not fearful, but more serious and consistent in detecting and alerting.

How many alarm systems can do that and then be a snuggle bug a few minutes later? :D

Which reminds of something funny hubs did. We've been getting phone calls from an alarm company trying to sell us a system. They don't seem to get the message that we don't need one. One day hubs answered the phone and said we already have an alarm system. The guy on the phone asked "oh which company do you use now?", he replied "German Shepherd Alarm Systems". Poor fella on the phone didn't quite get it, he said "I've not heard of that company", my hubs said "It's the system with teeth in it". The telemarketer finally got it then...... :laugh:

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Amazing, isn't it? Rocket does this too--and his barks are very different. The two times he's used his "real" bark, were the two times we had people down on our property--once stealing our pumpkins and the second time, stealing snow tires. :(

You better believe we paid more attention after that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts