German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting here ...studying and my mind started to wander (not good, I know). But I started to think about my mom and Shane, and I wanted to share this story (I hope you all don't mind). My mom has never really been an animal lover per se. Yes, we had all sort of animals growing up, mostly because my father absolutely loves animals. We had many different types of dogs, cats, fish, birds and hamsters (she hated the hamsters...they were like mini rats to her.) Anyhow, my mother always been a good sport about it, you know did the mother thing. Growing up, I noticed she never really bonded with any other animal we had, they were just sort of there and she had to clean and take care of them. When we would lose a pet, she never really truely felt the hurt that we felt. I think it had to with the fact, she wasn't allowed to have any pet's growing up. She never lived with animals, until she met and married my dad.

Anyhow, I started to think about Shane. and how he touched my mother. I had purchased Shane in Michigan, where I was living at the time. I had traveled with him back to NY, and kept him with my parents while I finished the next 4 months back in Michigan. For those 4 months I was worried sick that I would come home to find my precious Shane gone. He was still a puppy and very rowdy, and teething, and very minimal training. I would call to check on him and I hear how he ate my mom's favorite shoe, or he dug in the garden or he won't walk properly on the lease. I'm thinking "oh man, she is going to get rid of him." 4 months later, I graduated, come home and I am greeted with a much bigger and wiser German Shepherd. I remember the day I came up those stairs, we arrived home around 1:30 in the morning. Shane was sleeping in my mom room!!! This shocked me, because she can't stand pet's in the bedroom.

This point of this very long story is that, my mother, who has always been distant with animals, fell in love with Shane. She goes above and beyond to make sure Shane is taking care of. When we go shopping, we have to buy him a toy or a treats, we have to take him everywhere possible, he must be in the house with us, in the summertime, Shane will get his own personal fan to keep cool. Shane is actually placed higher on the list of priorities.

I asked her one day, "why didn't you give him away when I went back to Michigan?" She told me at first it was because Shane was part of me and I been gone for so long, that having Shane around was like having me around (which was a complainant in way.) Then she said, after while, when he got more training, and he calmed down a little, he was different than any other pet. He wasn't like a golden retriever or a toy poodle or dobie. There was something special about him, he had such a personality on him. He just has this way about him that you can't help but laugh and smile and just love the guy to death. She loves how when she is alone, Shane is never more than 2 steps behind her. How he must do a security scan of the house and make sure everyone is accounted for. She loves how he can communicate with her and she knows all his different signs. She loves how when she is not feeling well, Shane is right there, sitting beside her or on the side, just to let her know that he is there for her. Shane, my hyper active, bratty little German Shepherd won my mother's heart. The purpose of the story, with the right dog, maybe the right German Shepherd, any person can become an animal (dog) lover.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
That's a nice story to tell. Shane really turned your mom around. German shepherds can do it to ya!

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
That is a nice story, thanks for sharing. And yes, with the right German Shepherd any person can before an animal lover!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts