German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my boy to my sisters house and they have a 1 1/2 pitbull female who is not spayed. My boy is not neutered. My question is do I need to worry about him trying to mount? He does not mount any dogs and I have full Alpha position in his eyes. Just wanted to know from someone else's experience if he is too young being that he just turned 1.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
He is not too young. if the dog isn't in heat, then she will probably correct him herself. If she is in heat, you probably don't need to take your dog over there if it's a playdate for the dogs.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Does he have testicles? If so then he is not too young. I would not want to chance it and create more pit mixes that will end up in shelters or worse... Too many out there already.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Galathiel

EDIT: I was under the impression that only Alpha's are allowed to mate?

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
The "alpha" stuff is hogwash. Dogs are not wolves, and even if they were anyone who sees an opportunity to mate is going to try to do so.

No status that you may have over your dog is going to keep him from trying to mate with a female. Period. He is not neutered and plenty old enough to sire a litter. If you want to eliminate any possibility of him mating a female and having puppies, than you need to get him neutered. If you intend to keep him intact and not neuter him, than you must be aware that he is a male dog with the typical male hormones and he is going to try to mate any female in heat that he comes across. So it is your responsibility to manage the situation, which involves keeping him away from any intact females who may be in heat. If your sister's dog is not in heat, there is no worry. If she is in heat (or if your sister doesn't know how to tell the difference) then the two dogs should be kept apart.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No intention of breeding. Just waiting till he is fully grown before I neuter. I've googled the signs of a female in heat and I'm going to verify she is not in heat before the meeting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the last time the pit bleed was over a month ago so all should be well. Thanks for the quick replies!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Just wanted to add that if she is in heat they will connect. Best to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Looks like the last time the pit bleed was over a month ago so all should be well. Thanks for the quick replies!
That's not that long ago. I wouldn't go just yet.

The most fertile stage is after the bleeding. That can last (depending on the dog) for a while.

If the bitch is in heat (any part of the cycle).... he will mount. It's natural and his hormones will alert him right away. Nothing you can do to stop it, except to just not have them together at all.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Might I add that if she is still in heat...you will see a side of your dog you'll wish you hadn't. He won't be a happy camper when you keep them apart...and I'm not speaking of aggression here....

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Honestly your dog will know better than Google where the female is in her heat cycle but probably not the best idea to let him tell you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The meeting went well. The pit was still in heat because she kept trying to entice my GSD to mount. When we first arrived he attempted. I told him no and he didn't try again. My fathers 5 year old chocolate lab kept trying to hump her though. I took some video and will post on YouTube shortly for anyone who is interested.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
The meeting went well. The pit was still in heat because she kept trying to entice my GSD to mount. When we first arrived he attempted. I told him no and he didn't try again. My fathers 5 year old chocolate lab kept trying to hump her though. I took some video and will post on YouTube shortly for anyone who is interested.
:headbang:

·
Registered
482 Posts
I really hope you don't mean for anyone interested in watching your dogs try to mount the female, because if so, you might have the wrong forum..
:confused:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Honestly your dog will know better than Google where the female is in her heat cycle but probably not the best idea to let him tell you.
:D...very well put...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is no video of my dog attempting to mount. He tried when we first got there and I corrected him. The video itself is play between my GSD, a Lab, and the Pit Mix. I was hoping for some experienced GSD owners to take a look and offer their input.

·
Registered
482 Posts
There is no video of my dog attempting to mount. He tried when we first got there and I corrected him. The video itself is play between my GSD, a Lab, and the Pit Mix. I was hoping for some experienced GSD owners to take a look and offer their input.
Honestly none of that video looks like playing. It looks like a very uncomfortable female.

And why is it called "Female Pitbull Learning Her Role" :confused:

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
It looks like the young Pit wants to play but all the boys are interested in is sniffing and trying to mount her.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Glad everything went smoothly. But keep in mind, that 2 intact makes will fight pretty hard core over a female in heat. I would be very careful about allowing this type if interaction happen again.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 35 Posts