German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I head to bed I want to share an experience from earlier today. My husband and I were leaving our house for an evening out without our son and the lady across the street screamed for us to go back into the fence. We heard barking and wondered what was going on. As we left the fence she screamed "there is a big shepherd in that yard and it's running loose." Well my husband who thinks he's the shepherd whisper immediatly went to find it. As soon as the neighbor seen him she screamed "that thing will bite you here use the rock I'm holding to hit it if it comes close." After telling her to calm down and go in the house we see a medium build GS wondering around looking for home. The GS was going in circles and trying to find some sence of where to go. We tried calling the GS and even offering some turkey lunch meat but the screaming had the poor thing so frantic that it just tucked down it's ears and pounced away. It was wearing a collar and had tags but we couldn't get close enough to read them. Once the poor thing was out of sight my husband and I became very quiet. What if CJ gets out? What will our neighbor's do? Will he be sent to the pound too?Their reactions were to say the least alarming to us. The dog warden was called and we are going to check on Monday to see if the puppy was picked up because we aren't going to allow it to be put down. Well goodnight and give all of the babies an extra hug and kiss tonight because they are safe at home with each of us where they are loved.

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
And we wonder why are dogs when they do get loose will not let anyone close enough to read their tags.

I can just imagine how pitts are treated when they are lost.

It is scarey that the neighbor would throw a rock at the dog.

I am a little surprised by the behavior of the dog, walking in circles, looking confused. It may be that the dog was sick.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We don't know we are just hoping that it found its way home. The behavior was also strange to me but my husband, who had shepherds before, didn't seem to be overly concerned so I didn't really think about it.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Sounds like the poor soul was BEWILDERED and possibly disoriented if he is lost..... who knows if that's the first rock the
out-of-control neighbor or any one else had thrown at him..... GEEEEEEZ, where do these dolts come from????
I hope you will check on the poor baby......

·
Registered
782 Posts
The screaming neighbor picked up a rock?
The poor guy no wonder he was confused. I hope he's ok and not sick!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We plan to call and even go to the pound tomorrow to make sure he isn't there. We have no intention of letting him be gassed because of a stupid neighbor. We couldn't have gotten the fence up at a better time. Locks already on and signs going up tomorrow. I am a fairly calm woman but to think that one of my babies could be threatened with a rock like she did to that poor GS yesterday well lets just say that neighbor thinks a GS is aggressive, she hasn't seen anything.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Originally Posted By: selzerAnd we wonder why are dogs when they do get loose will not let anyone close enough to read their tags.

I can just imagine how pitts are treated when they are lost...
I'm sorry and i'm not trying to offend anyone here but if I were outside and a Pitt was running loose around my house i'd call animal control and do my best to keep it away from me. I'm not going to pick a rock up to throw at it per say unless it comes near me in an agressive manner.

·
Registered
671 Posts
When Brenna is in a panicky state of mind (which happens more often than I'd like) she will pace back and forth like she has to move physically in order to work it out in her head. When she escaped from my friend's backyard in an area she'd never been in before, finding her was half the battle. She was all over the neighborhood cutting through backyards, swamps, etc. but in 1+ hr she was missing she only made it about 2 miles away from the house.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE UPDATE !!!
The lost puppers is named Chopper and he lives about 2 blocks from us. He has a fenced in yard and somehow got out. They are thinking a neighbor child maybe. He is not at all aggressive and was just scared out of his fur. His owners are very nice and were frantically looking for him.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Thank god the GSD pup found his home and didn't get hurt by that evil neighbor... I have made sure all my neighbors know Jesse and also know that he is not agressive so that if he goes missing (some how) he will be brought back home and nobody will be scared of him. Also our Animal Shelter knows Jesse cause he was born there and we go and visit all the time cause they are enjoying watching him grow up, so if he is picked up by them I know he will be returned pronto, and he has a microchip too as well as a license.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Glad it ended well for Chopper.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Good news...you might suggest they put a padlock on the gate so that neighborhood kids can't just open the gate.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They were taking him to the store to pick up a lock. We have Stella Mae chipped but our dog warden told us that it is very seldom that they take the time to check to see if an animal has a chip prior to destroying them. That worried me.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Yeah that would worry me too. It takes about 30 seconds to scan for a chip and a few phone calls to reunite a dog and owner. Think that might warrant a letter to the editor of your local paper.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Glad this one had a happy ending!
I can't believe that woman was actually thinking about throwing a rock at him. How horrible! Not to mention incredibly stupid.

And yes, I swear by padlocks too! I've always been afraid that some utility worker or a young neighbor kid that doesn't understand the "beware of dog" sign will just come along and open the gate. Ya can't be too careful!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts