German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Zoey to the vet today for a routine checkup, rabies and distemper shots. They also did a heartworm and tick wellness test that came back with some not so pleasing results. "Ehrlichiosis" came back positive:(

The past year has been EXTREMELY tough on both Zoey and I, a month into the adoption, she bite someone and the rescue insisted they try to find a new home, which they did. A week and a half later with the new family, they don't want her anymore. They gave her back to me the day they transported her back from NC where she was 10lbs underweight, flea and tick ridden, conjunctivitis and positive for hook worm. She clearly got Ehrlichiosis as well since its very rare up in MA and she hasn't had a tick or a flea while being in my possession.

Zoey is on 3 1/2 tablets once a day of 100mg Doxycycline. Not only did the bill break the bank but it also broke my heart. Zoey is my heart dog and the fear of anything happening tears me apart. I'm praying this will run it's course and she'll be clean and healthy but only time will tell. Any comments are warmly welcomed.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I think the doxy does its job very well with regards to erlichia and you got on on a routine screen not from a sick dog so that is good.

Make sure you give probiotics - I like this stuff called ProBios you can buy at tractor supply and horse stores the horse formula is the same as the dog formula. You should ask the vet for the proper timing - that way you prevent bacterial overgrowth. Mainly give the doxy with plenty of food.

Yes the Carolinas are known for Erlichia and Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever...Lyme not as much as an issue but it is getting to be.

·
Registered
708 Posts
How long is the doxy treatment for? I know some folks aggressively treat at 5mg per lb 2x/day for 30 days. Probiotics are best given several hours away from the doxy. Good luck to you. These darned tick diseases are getting worse every year.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate it. She is on a 28 day supply of Doxy right now. I'm worried because we got her back over 6 months ago, I just hope it will rid the disease even though its been in her system for a while.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
tick disease can be pretty complex, she very well could have picked it up in MASS, just because you never found a tick doesn't mean she didn't get bit by one:)

Usually the ticks that transmit are so minute you'd never find them.

Mine are chronic for anaplasmosis (equii erhlichia), when I dose I do 5mg per body weight twice a day for atleast 2 months.

Tick diseases in my opinion, never really leave the system tho they can be thrown back into a remission like state/and/or you'll never really see any clinical signs.

Lisa T is my go to 'tick' person:)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
My dogs have had more positive tests for erlichia than any other tick borne illness including lyme.
Jusy curious how much did the get you for the doxy?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Tick diseases are pretty nasty, so be careful. My dog Boris nearly died from Rocky Mountain Spotted fever; actually he never really recovered from it and died a year later. So be careful with that and keep on top of it. The doxy shouldn't cost you too much; you can ask your vet for a prescription and buy a big bottle from Target for $30.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I'm really sorry about Zoey. You have come so far and been through so much with her. I'm hoping and praying that she will make a full recovery.
I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers :)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The doxy shouldn't cost you too much; you can ask your vet for a prescription and buy a big bottle from Target for $30.
There's a problem getting doxy and the prices are getting crazy.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
heh... Doxy cost $60 for 98x100mg's

My main concern is her health later in life, the vet was talking about blood transfusions if its bad and constant testing, I'm not made of money here, no way can I afford that type of expenses so I'm pretty concerned.

I'm really sorry about Zoey. You have come so far and been through so much with her. I'm hoping and praying that she will make a full recovery.
I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers :)
Thank you, very much appreciated!

·
Registered
154 Posts
My dog had this come up 3 times in 5 years. Doxy treated it fine. We got to know the signs of a flare up... No biggie! Keep treating, get some probiotics, and all will be well :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
heh... Doxy cost $60 for 98x100mg's

My main concern is her health later in life, the vet was talking about blood transfusions if its bad and constant testing, I'm not made of money here, no way can I afford that type of expenses so I'm pretty concerned.

Thank you, very much appreciated!
Last fall I got a 180 tablets of 100mg for $30 from Target. Ask your vet for a prescription. I hope she gets better, but keep on top of it. My dog was terribly sick. Oh, almost forgot. You can buy bird biotic (doxycycline for birds), do a google search or buy it on Amazon. It's cheaper. I haven't done it, but it's a cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Last fall I got a 180 tablets of 100mg for $30 from Target. Ask your vet for a prescription. I hope she gets better, but keep on top of it. My dog was terribly sick. Oh, almost forgot. You can buy bird biotic (doxycycline for birds), do a google search or buy it on Amazon. It's cheaper. I haven't done it, but it's a cheaper alternative.
Will do, appreciate the info! If we need more or if it happens again I'll be sure to do this.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
There's a problem getting doxy and the prices are getting crazy.
Prices are spotty so call around. One pharmacy in Nevada wanted over $5.00 per pill while another one sold 300 pills for $98.00 to the rescue I volunteer at.

Some areas are having no issues so it just depends on where you are and what pharmacy you use.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Nick My thoughts are w/ you and your girl and prayers for Zoey's speedy and complete recovery. Hang in there. You guys deserve a long long time together full of nothing but happy healthy adventures. Hang in there
Maggi

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nick My thoughts are w/ you and your girl and prayers for Zoey's speedy and complete recovery. Hang in there. You guys deserve a long long time together full of nothing but happy healthy adventures. Hang in there
Maggi
Thank you, much appreciated! I gave her the first dose of the doxy last night and she had no side effects so that's a relief! 27 days to go....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts