German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How well do shelter dogs and purchased adult dogs react to name changes? I'm sure some take more than others to get used to their new names. This is just something I was always curious about; has anyone ever had a case where their new dog just WOULDN'T take to the name they tried to give them?

:p I'll take anything anyone has to share.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Well Riley came to us as Railey. We just dropped the 'a' because we thought it was stupid. he and everyone else were going to say Riley anyway. Zena came to us as Zenia (like the flower) and we dropped the 'i' because again, thought it was stupid. Shasta was 12 weeks when i brought her home as "fern". Shelby was previously named Juliet and would not answer to it at all. If she DID answer it was simply to give you the "go to ****" look and walk away. She happily answers to Shelby. It really depends on the dog. Most dogs i think if they're in a positive place will be more than happy to answer to a new name but sometimes, its probably best to just leave their names the same.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zenia. *makes a face* I can understand why you changed it. It just doesn't sound very flattering at all. Maybe for a Shih-tsu...but not for a German Shepherd. Railey is okay...but on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 5. I love the name Riley though. What does Shasta mean? Do you know the origins behind it? It has a nice sound to it!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Zenia. *makes a face* I can understand why you changed it. It just doesn't sound very flattering at all. Maybe for a Shih-tsu...but not for a German Shepherd. Railey is okay...but on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 5. I love the name Riley though. What does Shasta mean? Do you know the origins behind it? It has a nice sound to it!

actually i couldnt tell you exactly what Shasta means. I can tell you why i named her Shasta though!!! Have you ever heard of the Shasta brand soda? I love that brand cream soda and root beer and i like the name Shasta. The humane society we adopted Zena from had named her Zenia as they could never find her original owners for her original name. Riley was an owner surrender when he was 5 months old...get this... for barking too much. They shunned him to the backyard. I would have barked too!! THEY named him Railey. Sounds very girly to me. And Shelby is named after one of my favorite cars, the 67' Shelby Mustang. lol. I cant afford the car for a good long while but i can have my dog!!! lol. She's a good girl.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I've rescued/fostered a lot of strays, and I've never had one take very long to learn a new name. In fact I ended up with one dog who responded to "Puppy" because we called him that while trying to think of a name, and he ended up thinking that was his name (we later changed it to something else, and the person who ended up adopting him changed it again with no issues.)

A lot of my dogs also have had nicknames, which they will respond to in addition to their 'real' names.

I was going to change Bianca's name because I didn't like the way it sounded and it's a bit of a mouthful to call, but I couldn't come up with anything else that fit her so I ended up keeping the name.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never heard of the Shasta brand of soda, actually, but I like the name regardless. :eek: Ohhhh wow, I thought Riley WAS a female dog, I didn't know Riley was male! Oh yes, it's definitely girly. Not a bad name though. They gave him up for barking too much though? Pffst. That's...:headbang: The 67' Shelby Mustang is one of my brother's favorite cars as well! (He's...somewhat of a car enthusiast, which is about as understated as possible)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I assumed it was a Native American word when I picked it...apparently it's not as clear cut as, say, Tahoma or Denali.

Folklore of Mount Shasta: Origin of the name "Shasta"

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Aiden, our Frenchie, was originally named Jake (or something like that), and he adapted to the name change with no problem. His brother Yoda was originally named Buddy (but maybe I got them mixed up), and his name with his new family is Hades (to go along with their other dog, Zeus), and he responds to it very well.

When we found Sania, we had no idea what her name was, seeing as how she had no tags. We were calling her 'Sweetie' for a while (not as a name, but we needed to call her something until we found her owners - which thankfully never happened), but then we changed Sweetie to Sania.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I've rescued/fostered a lot of strays, and I've never had one take very long to learn a new name. In fact I ended up with one dog who responded to "Puppy" because we called him that while trying to think of a name, and he ended up thinking that was his name (we later changed it to something else, and the person who ended up adopting him changed it again with no issues.)

A lot of my dogs also have had nicknames, which they will respond to in addition to their 'real' names.

I was going to change Bianca's name because I didn't like the way it sounded and it's a bit of a mouthful to call, but I couldn't come up with anything else that fit her so I ended up keeping the name.
yeah Bianca is a mouthful! wow. some dogs are harder to name than others. A friend of mine went through 45 names until they found one for their pup that they could manage and the dog would listen to.

I've never heard of the Shasta brand of soda, actually, but I like the name regardless. :eek: Ohhhh wow, I thought Riley WAS a female dog, I didn't know Riley was male! Oh yes, it's definitely girly. Not a bad name though. They gave him up for barking too much though? Pffst. That's...:headbang: The 67' Shelby Mustang is one of my brother's favorite cars as well! (He's...somewhat of a car enthusiast, which is about as understated as possible)
Yeah a lot of people think Riley is a girl. thats okay. He's kinda girly lol. I actually met a female shepherd name Riley a few weeks ago. Riley is one of those names thats not gender specific so it works out. You just hear it more with females than males.
I totally fell in love with the Shelby in Gone In 60 Seconds. THATS my ultimate dream car. Complete with the "go baby go" button lol. I almost had a 66 Mustang for my car in high school. Would have been nice. i currently have a 2004 mustang right now. They're nice cars!

I assumed it was a Native American word when I picked it...apparently it's not as clear cut as, say, Tahoma or Denali.

Folklore of Mount Shasta: Origin of the name "Shasta"

thats an interesting article. thanks for sharing! Its a cool name no matter where it comes from. lol. i still think its kinda funny to tell people my dog was named after a soda brand! now i want to go to the commissary and buy some soda lol.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
thats an interesting article. thanks for sharing! Its a cool name no matter where it comes from. lol. i still think its kinda funny to tell people my dog was named after a soda brand! now i want to go to the commissary and buy some soda lol.
The soda was named after the mountain but the company was located in - get this - Maryland!

Shasta (soft drink) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
The soda was named after the mountain but the company was located in - get this - Maryland!

Shasta (soft drink) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

that is awesome!!! We're moving to maryland next year!!! easier access to the soda!!! yay!!! lol. I admit it. i'm a nerd. thats pretty cool though! I guess whatever works. They make good soda! and being named after the mountain well i'm not sure how to make that connection but okay sure! i'll take it!

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
My GSD/Husky mix was named Champ :sick: that wasn't going to fly in my house so I changed it to Rogue and he learned it within 3 days and I'm happy with it and I think he is happier with it instead of that lame name.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Dogs easily adjust to different names, as they don't identify their name with any sort of self identity. When I have litters the puppies all get puppy names that they learn to respond to. One litter I named everyone after fruit: Cherry, Passion, Banana, Fig, Pineapple, Blueberry, Kiwi and Punch. Only Cherry kept her name ;) Most dogs pick up on nicknames without an issue and name changes are really no different.

I think it's more important that you name the dog something that you find to be pleasant and positive, so that when you say their name your feelings about it are good. If you dislike your dog's name, it's far better to change it then to call your dog something that has a negative association for you. Also consider the association that other people will have with your dog's name. Vet's, groomers, other owners and neighbors are more likely to be suspicious of a dog named Cujo than a dog Shasta.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Dogs easily adjust to different names, as they don't identify their name with any sort of self identity. When I have litters the puppies all get puppy names that they learn to respond to. One litter I named everyone after fruit: Cherry, Passion, Banana, Fig, Pineapple, Blueberry, Kiwi and Punch. Only Cherry kept her name ;) Most dogs pick up on nicknames without an issue and name changes are really no different.

I think it's more important that you name the dog something that you find to be pleasant and positive, so that when you say their name your feelings about it are good. If you dislike your dog's name, it's far better to change it then to call your dog something that has a negative association for you. Also consider the association that other people will have with your dog's name. Vet's, groomers, other owners and neighbors are more likely to be suspicious of a dog named Cujo than a dog Shasta.
I met this lady at Petco, she was very interested in my GSD Sinister, he was 7-8 months at the time and she couldn't stop telling me how gorgeous she thought he was. The lady was in her late 50's early 60's and she was very nicely dressed. She asked what his name was and at first I was like "oh great, this is going to ruin the conversation" I told her his name is Sinister and she said "Oh, really, that's a cool name, we used to have a black GSD named Satan." You should have seen my face when she said that! Everyone that meets him loves him immediately and dont care that his name is Sinister, they usually say "his name doesn't fit him" or they giggle about it. His Vet thinks his name is cute too.

I absolutely LOVE his name, it is perfect, I dont give a hoot what others think, he's my dog. I'll name a dog Poop or Butt if I want to. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Just an FYI, "Shasta" is also the name of the Mascot for the University of Houston Cougars! (It's a Cougar).

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
It's very easy for dogs to learn a new name. You can usually have a dog responding to his new name within a day or two if you take the time to actually teach the name. To a dog, his name isn't his identity, it's just a word that means, "hey come here and pay attention."

·
Registered
164 Posts
We changed our rescue from the name Chevy to Bruno. I dont remember much about it, i just remember him responding to Bruno within days. It must be pretty easy im guessing since i dont remember putting much effort into it lol.

EDIT: Actually, im wondering if we did name train him. We are big on saying our pets names a lot. Like whenever we see one of our furries we will talk to them and add their name to it like "Did Bruno have a good day?" or "Bruno, what a good boy" and whenever he looked at us after saying his name he would get a ton of attention. We didnt intentionally train him... he was cute cute when he looked at us lol.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well when we got our first GSD puppy..the breeder had named him Henry. That name wasn't going to fly with us and we changed it to Zorro. The puppy took to the name in about 2 days or so.
our neighbor changed their dogs name from Jack to Max and he didn't suffer any identity crisis either. I don't think dogs mind their names being changed as long as they get what they want from us..our love and attention.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.