German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Vet says my Max is having a reaction to something because of the redness in his ears as well as around his eyes. She says I need to figure what it is before they proceed with steroid shots... help??

He's on Wolf Cub by Solid Gold
And just finished this morning with taking his coat supplement Show Stopper
He also (just started) taking Vitamins the vet sold me.

The redness comes and goes... but is pretty hard to tell (at least for me) what is normal pinkness of the ear and what's out of the norm redness. He's an indoor dog and only goes outside to do his dirty business and play. Other than that... I know he's had that color for a while, but too long to pin point exactly when it started.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
I noticed you're in LA. So am I and my guy is very itchy and also has eye discharge sometimes, I think it's the dryness in the air and the pollen. A few weeks ago when it was like a convection oven outside he even had some wheezing/backwards sneezing, which has thankfully stopped. Benadryl should help.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed you're in LA. So am I and my guy is very itchy and also has eye discharge sometimes, I think it's the dryness in the air and the pollen. A few weeks ago when it was like a convection oven outside he even had some wheezing/backwards sneezing, which has thankfully stopped. Benadryl should help.
I'll try it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How can I tell where his reaction is to the food, or an allergy?

He doesn't show too many symptoms other than extreme itching (no sores, blisters or anything) and really red ears. The ears come and go at different times of the day. Cant say for sure it's after he eats cause sometimes it comes right after he does, and other times it seems unprovoked.

Benedryl (25mg) seems to slow the redness and itching a bit, but didn't completely go away.

He's almost 40lbs... its that dosage too little or too much?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Did you not ask the vet all these questions? I'm asking because it would be more prudent to do so.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you not ask the vet all these questions? I'm asking because it would be more prudent to do so.
As a matter of fact I did. All she told me what to watch and see when it flares, and take note of what is probably causing it. Once the source is determined, she can prescribe steroids (if that's what he needs) or it could just be allergies, therefore curing it with benedryl.

That's literally all she told me.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Did the vet offer an environmental allergy test? Our previous dog had similar symptoms, got the blood test done and it indicated she had dust, mold and some tree allergy.
My house was not that messy, just did more wipe downs and frequently cleaned under the beds, under the sofa, in the closets - places you don't clean as your normal routine. Allergy went away.

So if environmental allergy test comes back negative, then you'll know its food.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Having just been through a lot of allergy stuff.... I'm pretty sure the dose for Benadryl is up to 1mg per pound, so you could probably give him a little more. For us, Benadryl didn't make the symptoms completely go away but they were greatly decreased and he was more comfortable (and sleepy, yay!) during the pollen flare-ups. Additionally, we also realized that Remy is allergic to chicken so we also had to switch his food. The chicken gave him runny stools, watery eyes and some itchiness. Once we switched food (and treats) it all cleared up. It is a lot of trial and error and you hate to see you puppy go through discomfort. Of course your vet should advise but it sounds like you've already asked.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having just been through a lot of allergy stuff.... I'm pretty sure the dose for Benadryl is up to 1mg per pound, so you could probably give him a little more. For us, Benadryl didn't make the symptoms completely go away but they were greatly decreased and he was more comfortable (and sleepy, yay!) during the pollen flare-ups. Additionally, we also realized that Remy is allergic to chicken so we also had to switch his food. The chicken gave him runny stools, watery eyes and some itchiness. Once we switched food (and treats) it all cleared up. It is a lot of trial and error and you hate to see you puppy go through discomfort. Of course your vet should advise but it sounds like you've already asked.

I realize a lot of people with complaints and/or descriptions of allergies say that it comes with runny eyes, loose stools and itching.

My pup JUST has redness of the ears (but no scratching them or shaking his head) and a TON of itching. His stools are just fine though. I took him off the coat supplement "Show Stopper" and the redness in his ears seemed to have relaxed a bit, but the itching is still just the same or probably even more.

I have noticed some hair behind his ear thinning out, and now some scabbing under his coat by his hindquarters. I will try 2 capsules now and see what that does for him... but is there some kinda permanent solution? Or am I looking at monthly/yearly shots by vet.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah that sounds like something different. Has it gotten better or did you figure out what is was?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

When I went to the vet, she advised me that maybe he is allergic to flea bites (seeing as how he was over the month already on his previous flea med) and had a couple on the base of his tail.

So yesterday I applied a new flea med (Frontline Plus) and 12hrs later... he is still itching and scratching. The vet also advised me his skin was dry and to mix in olive oil (1tsp) with his food. So I did, and along with that I started giving him allergy tablets from Petco (Tuesday). Since the tablets and olive oil, he got immediate diarrhea, and yesterday morning has had some blood in it and every following stool since.

I stopped the tablets once I noticed the diarrhea (Wednesday night), and stopped the olive oil once I noticed the blood (Yesterday morning). Blood in stool is fresh and bright red which I assume indicated it's something in his lower intestine or closer to his anus. I called the vet and she advised me to give it a day or 2 to see if it clear ups now that I stopped tablets and olive oil. If not... to take him in.

Today is day 2 of this debacle. I have decided to fast him until 6:30pm (24hrs from his last feeding) and see if maybe whatever it is going on in his stomach will clear up.

I am also switching his diet from Wolf Cub by Solid Gold to Wilderness by Blue Buffalo. Last night (his dinner) was the first meal of his transition to the new food. Keep in mind that the runny stool and blood started yesterday morning. I will resume transitioning of diet today at 6:30pm

ANY AND ALL advice is welcome, I just want my pup to feel better. His coat is really taking a beating :( No more shine and looks all messy even when I comb it.

FYI - I am trying to keep cost down seeing as how I have a 3wk old baby now, and well money is only stretched so far. Any home remedies would be great!

He is 4mo old next week and is about 42lbs (if it helps any)
His demeanor is good, still playful and VERY alert. No lethargy or loss of appetite.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts