German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I did all my homework as it were on the GSD breed, it also included all the information I could find on the white variety. Everything I read said that white GSD's are less aggressive than the typical colored varieties, but still very smart and easily trained. In other words, a white GSD could be trained for Canine Good Citizen, but wouldn't make a good Police dog. So, I got a white male. At the vet's office yesterday, she seemed to be completely confused about my dog. She asked me if I knew how rare it was for a white GSD to just lay there. Now granted, Mgelika is slightly sick, but that's normal for him. He's just a lazy bum. lol. I was confused and she saw that on my face, so she said "Oh yea, we all just dread going in to work on a white German Shepherd because they are just nuts! They have wide eyes, scared, skittish, and aggressive. Your boy is the only white German Shepherd I've seen that is laid back like this."

Is that true? :O I haven't had the pleasure of ever being around another white, but what she said directly conflicts with everything that I read!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Your vet is crazy :) I've never know a white GSD to be any crazier than the rest of the colors.

I WILL say that many vets don't like GSD's period due to the fact there are so many that are poorly socialized or poorly bred with a bad temperment. And of course it's human nature that you forget all the great GSD's you see and REALLY REMEMBER the wacko dogs!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I'd find another vet IMMEDIATELY if not sooner. See the little White Shepherd in the picture. Well now she's 5-1/2 months old, I have had her since she was 8 wks old. I have been around shepherds for over 45 years and never heard such nonsense. This pup is very smart, and as well behaved as any other pup I have had or known. She's awesome in class, smart as a whip, friendly, behaves extreemly well in the vets office all 4 times I just had her there. I don't know how old your boy is but for the most part, my dogs will sit or just lay down waiting in the vets office. Your vet should criticize the people who didn't train the dogs she met, not the dog.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Maybe the whites the vet has seen have been poorly bred. If a breeder is breeding for color only, they aren't looking at temperament or health. Are most of the white ones your vet see from the same breeder??
My vet has said similar things about the GSD's she has taken care of, but it is not because of color, the dogs are usually stressed when they come in(my vet knows how to gently work with them) as MRL said due to lack of socialization, breeding and training.
My past vet was afraid of Onyx(she has fear aggression), and I know Onyx felt it from the get-go.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I'd find another vet IMMEDIATELY if not sooner.
And I'd stay so the vet and staff can see YOU have what a GSD is supposed to be, and the next one that comes in may have them with a more openminded point of view! :)

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I have seen 2 different GSD's at the Vet that I go to not including mine and both of them are really well behaved, nice, gentle dogs and the Vet staff there are not afraid of the dogs nor do they say crazy things about the breed. When I had to take my GSD to get neutered at a different Vet hospital I saw 2 other GSD's. One of them had to be muzzled due to him being dog and people aggressive. The other one was very well behaved and she and Sinister made out for about 5 minutes, it was love. I think some Vets honestly dont favor certain breeds, they like certain breeds and dislike others. I remember my Vet saying that she didn't really care for the personalities of Terrier breeds.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for replying. :) I thought what she said was a bit off mark. I'm sure there are some aggressive whites that have poor personalities due to bad breeding, but that could be (and is) true of every breed. She also marked him down as a black and tan instead of a white on his paperwork. I guess he woulda been black and tan had he not been white, but still... he's white! Or err.. well, cream and beige.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Personally I'd find another vet. Yes, I've seen nutty WGSDs, just like I've seen nutty colored GSDs, but IMHO color has nothing to do with improper breeding, poor temperament and/or lack of training.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Your vet is wrong that whites are scared, skittish and aggressive as everyone has said. But you are also wrong when you read that they are less aggressive. Whites aren't any different from a colored GSD. What makes each type of GSD different is the different lines a breeder is using and traits they are breeding for.

So for example, if you go to someone who breeds GSDs for police work, they dog will be higher drive and more suited to that type or work. If you go to a show breeder, you'll get a more laid back puppy with less drive. If either of these breeders breeds whites, you'll get a white with those traits.

There are a lot of breeders of whites that breed for show, so you get a more mellow dog, but there are also whites being bred with more drive. A friend of mine is working SchH with her white for example. Also, meet Bart Bart - he was a police dog with the Minneapolis Police Department.

Whites come in as many variations in drives and temperment as any other color of GSD.

Tracie
www.atlaskennels.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts