• Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering about geographic distribution of some of us. City/urban, suburban, country/rural--where do you live? Did your location affect your choice of a GSD? Have you lived in multiple locations with your dog(s)? If so, what differences did you take into account or notice?

I'm thinking other questions may arise from this, but we'll see what responses this gets. Some possibilities include indoor/outdoor living for the dogs, pet insurance, the role(s) the GSD plays in your life, etc.

I grew up in rural Colorado, and now I live in rural-ish Virginia (not really suburban where I am, but not quite rural, either). Those are very different social and physical environments and would warrant different actions/reactions for and to dog ownership, especially for a larger breed canine.

I am hoping this could start some conversations. Thanks!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Currently and historically Urban, however this fall we start a new adventure of living full-time in a big 42ft, 19,000#, 5th wheel RV. Traveling around the country spending a month or three in each location. We have always camped and loved extended trips, now will just be full-time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, wow, that will be a serious change! I hope you'll be documenting that experience here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Currently live six miles roughly from downtown, city of about 300K, metro area around 1.8 or so million. Not exact numbers, but close.

Before COVID, we had planned to sell our house and move to a more rural place, but within driving distance of work. Actually looked at one 31 acre place, another of about 30 acres.

That is still more or less the long range plan. Reluctant to move until situation, economic, virus, etc. stabilizes more than it has to date.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oh, wow, that will be a serious change! I hope you'll be documenting that experience here.
I will, Covid has messed with the plan. Delayed the building of the camper we ordered. The hard part is getting rid of everything we've accumulated over 35 years or marriage since we cannot have yard sales and the 3 kids aren't interested in taking most of our stuff.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My first GSD was as a teenager, urban home of my parents but 20 acres woods out back, tons of free range play for the dog back there. Friend with yellow lab, we spent most of our off school time out there with the dogs. Those were the days when the dog went absolutely everywhere with me; friends houses, camping, everywhere.

Next house, 3rd GSD was urban, tiny fenced townhouse yard, lots of walks and exercise needed. Not ideal but GSD are very adjustable and I was in my early 20's and didn't know any better lol. Also took her everywhere in a two seater tiny hatchback car as a 90 pound dog. Early 20's didn't know any better ....

Location has never affected my choice of breed. I have no idea why since I grew up with a smaller dog but GSD were all I ever wanted and all I've ever had. Each time a dog passes away, we've briefly tabled the idea of another breed (mainly because of the single and only drawback of GSD, the shedding!) but there's nothing that offers the complete package of looks, size, demeanor, trainability, potential protection/guarding of the house, personality, outdoors capabilities etc. Simply, they are the best looking most complete dogs going in the hands of the right owner.

Current house (last 4 GSD) has a 150X250' heavily treed yard (unfenced), stream and 20' natural waterfall. 10 acres of woods behind, 2 acre pond beside. Over run with squirrels to chase, rabbits to run, occasional foxes, turkeys and coyotes and I can walk to 500 miles of public/private trails.

It's basically German Shepherd Heaven :whistle:

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts
Currently and historically Urban, however this fall we start a new adventure of living full-time in a big 42ft, 19,000#, 5th wheel RV. Traveling around the country spending a month or three in each location. We have always camped and loved extended trips, now will just be full-time.
Are you going to or have you signed up on the Rvillage site? My sweetheart and I just RV vacationers right now but in a couple of years, if health, finances are decent and the world hasn't gone insane, we expect to snowbird, too. Basically spending a month in each location, visit family, etc.

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts
We are in a pocket of rural surrounded by suburbs. Nice tree lined streets in the bedroom community of a large city. But we have about 3 acres of fenced in property with turf, and bit of woods and some fruit trees.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Are you going to or have you signed up on the Rvillage site? My sweetheart and I just RV vacationers right now but in a couple of years, if health, finances are decent and the world hasn't gone insane, we expect to snowbird, too. Basically spending a month in each location, visit family, etc.
I did signup a few weeks ago. We also signed up with Escapees and got a mail service. I also plan to sign up with Harvest Hosts which is great or one night stays while traveling between sites. What kind of RV do you have?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Urban, I live on the fringe of a rather large metropolitan area. My neighbourhood has a lot of green and I have small backyard (barely enough to play fetch). However, there is lots of countryside just north of me, which I would use a lot pre-COVID.

I am moving in mid July to a rural area, a lakefront property, for a few years. I was supposed to move May, but could not because of COVID.

I got my GSD after I decided to move. She is going to be my offleash hiking buddy, and I eventually want to train her to reign in my reactive hound.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts