German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I am thinking of the breeder where we got Chief, and some of the things that he told us about breeding dogs. At the time, we were interested in making Chief a stud dog. He told us that all his dogs are tested as pups. He said it was a temperament test of some sort. If the pup did not pass the test, or showed any signs of bad temperament, it was killed on the spot. He said it was to make sure that no "bad" dogs came from his kennel, and to keep his dogs lines great. Does this still happen?

· Registered
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The bloodlines were excellent with this breeder. Chief was born in 1988, so maybe the practice was more common then than it is now. That was what I was thinking myself, why not spay/neuter the " unacceptable" ones? Here is Chief's pedigree to show the bloodlines that this breeder used, at least with Chief's parents. I don't know about his other dogs lines.

· Registered
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My experiance is that CH. doesn't attest to the dogs temperment much. Judges also have different perspectives on what each breed should bring to the table, and if the breed standard calls for aloofness, the judge may take it a little far.
But my understanding is that for the most part show dogs are used to being handled by stangers...no?
Sorry for derailing the post!
Chief was one of his show dog breedings so what you are saying is probably true. He also bred dogs that weren't show dogs, so I can't say where their bloodlines came from, if they were the same or not.

· Registered
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did he say how frequently he culled a puppy? That seems an odd thing to tell a (potential) buyer. On one hand, perhaps he was thinking you might be relieved to know he killed all the aggressive ones (tongue in cheek here), but on the other one would think buyers might be alarmed to hear his breedings were producing puppies so evil they needed to be killed on the spot.
I don't think he would have told the buyer off the street this. We were friends with him, and interested in the breeding process. You never know though, he was an ex Marine, vietnam vet, and very tough and straightforward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.