German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night Sib peed in my bed--this is something she has never done before--nothing ever, anywhere inside...So after I changed the bedding I got on the computer and looked up UTI's and thought that may be the problem..i also noticed when I took off the bedspread there were signs of previous wettings..but I don't know from when.On Mon sib got her first ever 3 year rabies shot...Do you think this could have anything to do with her peeing the bed...I really think she is too young for an incontinence issue..She is 3 1/2 years old. I am going to call the vet today but cannot get off work til Fri...If this is a UTI , is that too long to wait to start antibiotics? One more probably really stupid question..does blood work determine a UTI ? I know that a urinalysis does..but ok here goes the stupid question..how do you get a urine sample from a GSD? Thanks for any ideas you can offer...jan

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
They'll do a urinalysis to determine if it's a UTI. Basically you just shove a tupperware container or anything really that can collect while she's going. My girl squats really low which makes it a bit of a challenge but I got it. When she had a UTI what tipped us off was peeing constantly or trying to pee on her walks. She tried to go 12 times during a 20 minute walk. I got her in asap because I didn't like the idea of her being in discomfort which she clearly looked like she was.

I don't know if that can be a side effect of a rabies shot. I would call and describe the situation and see if they think she can wait until Friday.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Fuzzy....Guess I am the black sheep on this forum!!!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona had UTI and the vet got the urine sample. They stick a catheter in to get it. Never heard about the rabies shot.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Thanks for the reply Fuzzy....Guess I am the black sheep on this forum!!!
ohhh...You are NOT the black sheep - just been slow lately - new threads, not a lot of replies

So according to this dogs naturally article - "miasm" from rabies vaccine, a symptom is involuntary urination along with behavioural changes

Rabies Miasm In Dogs | Dogs Naturally Magazine

^^^“It is not necessarily that the diseases are caused by the vaccine,” notes Dr. Dee Blanco. “There are weaknesses inherent in all of us, either from our environment or acquired or inherited tendencies. If you have a family line of diabetes or hip dysplasia or whatever your weak area is, the vaccine will essentially exacerbate the weakness and the animal becomes symptomatic.

The prior noted possible bed wetting may been so nominal so you didn't notice (or could be from licking - I know I have often though my dog leaked and then found his front arm soaked)

Still have urinalysis done - but a CBC and Chem screen would be a good idea too at the time, just in case

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
If it's only happening at night or when she's sleeping it may be spay incontinence. My dog Massie had that and it was very easy to treat.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Chi takes meds for spay incontinence and this is not a road I want to go down with Sib...I hate to see the chi on all the meds she is on, but she is old and in failing health...Sib is so young and the vet told me once the dog is on these meds she will be on them forever...regarding same possible cause, the wetness seemed to cover a pretty large area...don't know if that means anything or not...I put her in her cage after I changed my bedding and checked that this morning and it was dry...BowWow, do you think Sib may be too young for spay incnt?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ohhh...You are NOT the black sheep - just been slow lately - new threads, not a lot of replies

So according to this dogs naturally article - "miasm" from rabies vaccine, a symptom is involuntary urination along with behavioural changes

Rabies Miasm In Dogs | Dogs Naturally Magazine

^^^“It is not necessarily that the diseases are caused by the vaccine,” notes Dr. Dee Blanco. “There are weaknesses inherent in all of us, either from our environment or acquired or inherited tendencies. If you have a family line of diabetes or hip dysplasia or whatever your weak area is, the vaccine will essentially exacerbate the weakness and the animal becomes symptomatic.

The prior noted possible bed wetting may been so nominal so you didn't notice (or could be from licking - I know I have often though my dog leaked and then found his front arm soaked)

Still have urinalysis done - but a CBC and Chem screen would be a good idea too at the time, just in case
This link is terrifying....maybe the 3 year shot was too much for her...I'm going to see what tonite brings and call the vet tomorrow...see the vet on fri...Thak you all so much..jan

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Massie used to completely release her bladder in her sleep. She was about 4 when it started. I had her on holistic meds--I think it was a bovine hormone?????--and I was able to taper them way down so that she only had to take a low does every couple of days.

I would get her tested for a UTI first and if that comes back negative then you can assume it is probably spay incontinence.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
...Sib is so young and the vet told me once the dog is on these meds she will be on them forever...regarding same possible cause, the wetness seemed to cover a pretty large area...don't know if that means anything or not...I put her in her cage after I changed my bedding and checked that this morning and it was dry...BowWow, do you think Sib may be too young for spay incnt?
Bunny developed spay incontinence when she was about a year old. We were very lucky because she was actually able to get off her pills after a year or so which surprised my vet. I just gradually reduced her dosage and she was alright. My vet did say it was unlikely so I feel very fortunate.

How is Sib's peeing on walks? Is she trying to go more than normal? Is there any straining, blood, or sign of discomfort?

If she had spay incontinence, I would imagine you'd fine more wet spots than just on your bed.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only thing I have noticed different about Sib is that she peed on leash the day of the shots...but that was a busy day for us...SPCA. nails done and a walk thru ACE then off to a play date....Maybe I just ran her too hard that day...That was Mon..--I called my dad today and told him to let her out often..she does not appear to be in any discomfort..but I realize GSDs are pretty tough like that...I think the vet is the answer...if it is a UTI I don't want complications from it...It does seem odd that the only wet spots are on my bed..That is not where she sleeps all the time....I will check again tonite but sure hope this doesn't happen again where I have to strip the whole bed down again!!

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
You may want to rule out a UTI just to be sure, but I agree with Ruth, sounds like spay incontinence to me also. Keeta was spayed when she was about a year old, and developed Spay incontinence a few months later.

She did not respond to the estrabol (synthetic estrogen), and after reading up on Proin, chose to not medicate. I went out and got a carpet cleaner, and put dog towels down everywhere. We'll just have to live with it, I thought.

As it turned out, a 100% raw diet just about eliminated the issue for us. I read on the forums somewhere that often grains in dog food is the catalyst to spay incontinence, and going grain free will help, but grain free did not work for us either. Though the raw diet does not work for everyone either, sure doesn't hurt to try.

So even if you choose to not medicate, there are some other things you can try, like a change in diet, or holistics.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lucia, thanks for all the info....Sib was fine all day yesterday and slept with me last night with no wet spots....I am hoping it was just a fluke thing..Here's hoping anyhow..

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just called the vet office and the tech said to wait and see...should this happen again I should get a urine specimen and bring her in...I so truly appreciate all of you that provided me with options and ideas...Thanks and abundant blessings to all ..jan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts