German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I wanted to get everyone's opinions on whether or not this is good, bad, or indifferent and if I need to change what I'm feeding my dog as a result.

I'm currently feeding my 65 lb male GSD Nature's Variety Instinct. I rotate between flavors of the dry kibble and cans. He gets 3/4 cup of kibble and 1/4 of a large can per meal (1 1/2 cups of kibble & 1/2 a large can each day). He seems to be doing fine on it and it's the first kibble he's actually wanted to eat straight out of the bag. :) My only concern is his poop. They tend to be small, hard little nuggets. One of my friends is telling me that's a sign he's constipated, but another friend is telling me that poop like that is good and that is what raw fed dogs' poop is like (Instinct has dehydrated raw and ground bone in their kibble) So I'm really confused. They are literally small, firm, nuggets, about 1 1/2-2" in length and 1" in diameter. Sometimes he'll have bigger "logs", but there are always those little nuggets.

Is that OK? Or is he constipated???

If that is a sign of constipation, I would switch him to a different food, but if it's normal and not an issue, then I'd like to keep him on NV Instinct because he likes it so much.

Thoughts??

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
If you really want a good answer, post a picture of it. It's a dog forum, so a picture of poop shouldn't be a problem ;)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
My dogs eat California Natural and poop firm, small nuggets as well. As long as I don't see them straining to poop, I don't think it's a problem. They are easy to pick up, barely smell, and break down very quickly if I miss them. Any other kibble my dogs eat, they poop a lot more and some kibbles I won't feed because the poop is so smelly (I know, I know, it's POOP!).

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok.. you asked for it. :) Please pay no attention to the location in which the poop resides. My dog is weird and he backed his butt up to a guard rail post and his aim was pretty darn good. :) Oh, and I apologize for the picture being sideways.. That's just how my phone emails pictures.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I can't see the pic - darn, lol! I'm feeding Acana lamb, and when I used the search function to find out what other people thought about this kibble, many said their dogs were constipated on it. I'm adding pumpkin and my puppy's stools are great. Maybe some pumpkin added to yours would help?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I must not know how to insert pictures.. I saved it to my computer, but when I do the "insert picture" option, it's asking for a web address... ???? How on earth do I insert a picture that isn't posted on a website somewhere, but rather is saved to my computer???

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LMAO! :rofl:That is the best pooping spot EVER. Also, poop looks firm and healthy to me. :D

I know!! My dog is a total weirdo! He insists on pooping in some very strange places!! That's actually why I even took the picture in the first place! His chosen location that day was priceless!

But you don't think I should be concerned that it's mostly just small nuggets like that? I guess I'm just used to seeing the big 'ole logs that other dogs produce, so I wasn't sure if these nuggets should be of concern. ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't think there is anything to worry about. Remember "less in, less out." On a high quality kibble, the photo you posted is exactly what I would expect to see. In my opinion, it looks great! LOL It means the dog is absorbing the nutrients from the food and not producing as much waste because there isn't too much "bad stuff" in it that is just passing through. I agree, if the dog isn't straining, no worries. If my pup's poop looks different that what you posted, I start to watch more closely. Its my goal to keep hers looking like that!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What would you consider straining? It does take him a few seconds (Maybe 3-5) of pushing before anything starts to come out. And he sometimes will take a step or two during the process as if to help it along. I honestly have never had a dog poop little nuggets like this, so I have no idea what constipation even looks like.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Yup that's what our poop looks like! Sometimes I think it's a little hard for Coke, like if he strains for 5+ seconds before any poop comes out. If so I give a bit more of something else to soften it up (fish oil, coconut oil, a raw egg, cottage cheese....) but most times ours looks just like that and both dogs are fine.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
OMG! Only I would read a poop thread while eating my lunch! I laughed so hard when I saw the poop literaly on a "post" I almost choked!
But getting back to "business" nice color, nice texture, your dogs poops are small but good by my standards.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, this is all wonderful to hear!! I'm glad that it's normal and looks good (well, as good as poop could possibly look)! Now, to address his chosen poop locations, that's a different thread entirely! ;)

Thank you all so much for your help!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
As long as it's outside that's half the battle!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That picture is hilarious!!

Those look just like my dogs' poops, the ones I strive for. I, too, just watch for straining, and if seems to be taking them too much effort to have a movement, I up the organ meats, fish oil, etc., and skip the bones for a couple of days.

·
Registered
408 Posts
My male walks and poops, walks and poops as well. maybe it's a "guy" thing!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts