German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when Shasta was smaller and we were dealing with the staph infection on her skin, we tried 3 kinds of antibiotics.

We started with Cephalexin, which quickly got the rash under control but gave her diarrhea that couldn't be eliminated or even mitigated with probiotics or anything else I tried. So our regular vet switched her to amoxicillin. This didn't really improve the situation with the diarrhea and the rash came back on her tummy. I called the clinic and our regular vet was out so another doctor looked at her file and switched us to a sulpha drug, which completely eliminated the rash.

So the other day when I took Shasta in for the lethargy/lack of appetite, the vet prescribed an antibiotic on the assumption we were dealing with an infection; she prescribed amoxicillin.

But when we went to the 24 hour clinic and I mentioned to the vet there about the amoxicillin not working on Shasta's previous staph infection, he immediately said he would prescribe a different antibiotic because there was a chance we were dealing with a recurrence of the same amoxicillin-resistant strain of staph.

So the question is, do you think our regular vet should have picked up on that?

·
Registered
32,009 Posts
If it was documented in your chart, then Yes I would expect your vet to pick up on that.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was documented in your chart, then Yes I would expect your vet to pick up on that.
I assume that the other vet would have updated her chart; if not, that would be a cause for concern itself.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I would have thought so too. If you like her otherwise, I would ask her about it. Can you call and talk to her on the phone?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have thought so too. If you like her otherwise, I would ask her about it. Can you call and talk to her on the phone?
Yes, I do like her and so does Shasta and she obviously likes Shasta, too. However, there's something nagging at me about the whole handling of this last incident with Shasta. It's not just the antibiotic, but that's the most concrete part of it.

I wish the took regular patients at the 24 hour clinic we went to, but it's all emergency and referrals. :confused:

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I would talk to her about your concerns- glad your e-vet is so good. Maybe that vet can follow up with yours.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The e-vet did a culture on her urine but there weren't any results as of yesterday when we picked her up. He also drew blood before we started the doxy, in case we wanted to test for lepto or tick borne disease. But he just did not believe it was either of those because her kidney function was so good.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My oh my, she sure is giving you a run for your money isn't she??
She is! Now she'd better turn out to be the dog I think she will be or I'm going to be pissed! ;)

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
They can culture the skin to get an idea of what the staph will respond to.
Skin culture | Encyclopedia of Nursing and Allied Health | Find Articles at BNET

So before they start a dog on antibiotics for a skin infection they CAN culture it, but I think most vets go with Keflex first because it usually works (and it made her sick).

I did have it done on my one GSD and it was nice to know what would and wouldn't work on that particular staph infection. She had deep pyoderma (GSD pyoderma). It was awful.

Good luck with your vet!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They can culture the skin to get an idea of what the staph will respond to.
Skin culture | Encyclopedia of Nursing and Allied Health | Find Articles at BNET

So before they start a dog on antibiotics for a skin infection they CAN culture it, but I think most vets go with Keflex first because it usually works (and it made her sick).

I did have it done on my one GSD and it was nice to know what would and wouldn't work on that particular staph infection. She had deep pyoderma (GSD pyoderma). It was awful.

Good luck with your vet!
It did give her diarrhea, but other than that, I wouldn't say it made her sick. One thing I'm kind of surprised about right now is that despite being on both doxy and clavamox (and remember, amoxicillin gave her diarrhea before), her stools are still looking pretty good. I'm wondering if she could even tolerate the cephalexin now that she's older.

That's good to know about the skin culture and I'll file that tidbit away for future reference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts