German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellow guys wanna pop in with yet another question xD

Soo my Kaiser's almost 6mos now and so far we haven't put a permanent collar on him.. He does wear one temporarily when he goes out to walks or if we want to tie him but not at all on a daily basis...

But the thing is his breeder said to put a collar when he turns 8mos cause that's the time he'll prolly start looking for girls and am scared he might run away...

My previous girl wore a collar her entire life To me it was what tied her to us and in a way she probably knew it too cause if we remove it she'll come to us to put it back on But now that I think of it her 'mane' looked pretty crushed because of it and I don't want it to happen to Kaiser... Kaiser has started to struggle a bit when putting the collar and I knw if we wait longer he might not like it at all...

Tbh i dont want his 'mane' to be crushed by the collar so I was thinking maybe a chocker? I haven't used it before so no idea if I can keep it on him Or maybe something with a soft material? ?

Do u guys keep the collar on ur dogs or put it whn u go out only? (Btw I have heard of the license thing in foreign countries but it isn't required here)

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't keep a collar on my dogs....I use a "martingale" style collar when training or leash walking.....this I can't stress enough never ever...ever....leave a choker style collar on any dog....dogs can and DO get the collar caught on something by accident--unable to get free... choke themselves to death.....

I lost a 6 month old many years ago to a choker collar and a chain link style fence...he got the choker hung on the fence and choked his self until he died.....both of us were at work...a neighbor watched this all unfold-did nothing because she was afraid of getting bitten.......she did manage to call me at work....it was a 15 minute high speed drive for me home but I was too late....I've lived with the guilt of that all these years ....because I was to STUPID and lazy to remove a choker collar after a morning training session and headed to work...he paid the price....I think about him every day and what I saw when I ran into our back yard....

OP back to your question--they now make break away style collars similar to what many cats wear ( mine does)....these collars split apart BEFORE the dog can harm themselves and free the dog....if you feel you must use a permanent collar that's the style to use....all my dogs are micro chipped but none of them wear a collar 24/7...period.....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't keep a collar on my dogs....I use a "martingale" style collar when training or leash walking.....this I can't stress enough never ever...ever....leave a choker style collar on any dog....dogs can and DO get the collar caught on something by accident--unable to get free... choke themselves to death.....

I lost a 6 month old many years ago to a choker collar and a chain link style fence...he got the choker hung on the fence and choked his self until he died.....both of us were at work...a neighbor watched this all unfold-did nothing because she was afraid of getting bitten.......she did manage to call me at work....it was a 15 minute high speed drive for me home but I was too late....I've lived with the guilt of that all these years ....because I was to STUPID and lazy to remove a choker collar after a morning training session and headed to work...he paid the price....I think about him every day and what I saw when I ran into our back yard....

OP back to your question--they now make break away style collars similar to what many cats wear ( mine does)....these collars split apart BEFORE the dog can harm themselves and free the dog....if you feel you must use a permanent collar that's the style to use....all my dogs are micro chipped but none of them wear a collar 24/7...period.....
Am extremely sorry for ur lose We all learn from mistakes and I know the guilt of remembering things done and not done for our beloved pet I pray he be in a better place now ❤
Thank u so much for the warning I most definitely will NOT try out a choker Am really not in a hurry to put a permanent collar on him but then he's our first experience with a male dog so am not sure if its alright to leave him loose all the time... The removable collar I think the one I have in mind is of this type (I'll upload a pic later) It almost felt like Velvet lol not good at all for a grip but didn't look like it would bother him too... Maybe I'll try buying that ?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Well, Fursavers are nice and they are meant to not damage fur. They are choker style, but don't close so easily. They are meant for show, not delivering corrections.

But, here is the thing. Your property being secure is what will keep him from wandering off. If you are concerned he could escape when not supervised, my only advice would be crate him at those times (and without a collar on. Depending on crate type and collar type, strangulation could be a risk), and continue to have him wear a good collar when free with you under your careful supervision.

My almost 6 month old pup is in his crate when I am not able to watch him, period.

A collar does nothing to keep a dog from wandering off if he is inclined to, unless he is tethered which is a whole other topic. Needs to be done correctly, safely, and humanely if you have to go that route. Or an invisible fence collar. I personally do not feel secure with them..but I do know someone who is a lifelong Husky owner and has never had an issue. Tethering or e collar borders are not something I am personally comfortable with..just illustrating that is the only 2 types of collars, that I can think of at least, that can prevent or have anything to do with wandering

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
There was an incident a couple of years ago where one of the best known American show line dogs (Cowboy) strangled to death in his crate. So, yeah, no collars when crated either.

I do not leave my dogs outside when I am not at home. There is always the chance someone might steal them, or they would annoy the neighbours by barking, and they would complain to Animal Control.

There is also the risk my dogs might escape from the property, even if I have a secure fence. They could dig underneath it. Many dogs also learn how to climb chain link fences, and most adult german shepherds can jump a 4 foot fence.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
OP, your dog is an outside dog, right? Don’t use a choke collar, as others have said, they can very easily get choked out without anyone noticing.

We use a breakaway collar for Crios, and he wears it 24/7, but he is our escape artist. Yes, he is microchipped as well, but we normally get calls from our neighbors saying they have him. They wouldn’t have been able to do that if he was collarless. It does push his fur down, but it’s worth it to us.

Lyka also wears one 24/7, she feels weird without one, and will carry it to us if we take it off. Again, a breakaway collar. And her fur is also flat where the collar lays.

We put the collar on the pups if we are taking them somewhere or grooming them. We use a martingale for all 4 dogs when we are taking them out though. So they have the flat breakaways and a martingale that we attached the leash to.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
One fun thing we did was get personalized tags that are attached to the collar, not the ring you connect the leash to. The reactions we get from crios’s tags when he gets loose is always fun. I can’t post what it says, because it has no no words on it, as do the rest of the gang, but it puts some humor into having them collared.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Any collar can choke a dog. If it can happen, it will at some point with some dog. No collar can keep a dog home, a good solid fence can and especially supervision and leadership. Mine only wear a collar with ID tags in the car and when we are away from home. Never at home do they wear collars and never has any dog ran away after "girls".
I am sorry for all the male dogs that they are perceived that way.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Fursavers are nice and they are meant to not damage fur. They are choker style, but don't close so easily. They are meant for show, not delivering corrections.

But, here is the thing. Your property being secure is what will keep him from wandering off. If you are concerned he could escape when not supervised, my only advice would be crate him at those times (and without a collar on. Depending on crate type and collar type, strangulation could be a risk), and continue to have him wear a good collar when free with you under your careful supervision.

My almost 6 month old pup is in his crate when I am not able to watch him, period.

A collar does nothing to keep a dog from wandering off if he is inclined to, unless he is tethered which is a whole other topic. Needs to be done correctly, safely, and humanely if you have to go that route. Or an invisible fence collar. I personally do not feel secure with them..but I do know someone who is a lifelong Husky owner and has never had an issue. Tethering or e collar borders are not something I am personally comfortable with..just illustrating that is the only 2 types of collars, that I can think of at least, that can prevent or have anything to do with wandering
There is no risk of him running away without our supervision cause here we have huge walls seperating houses and gates (Sorry i suppose its a bit different in western countries..?)
The thing is we have some pretty bothersome relatives who like barging in without warning so when i meant 'wandering off' I meant when they come suddenly and let the dog out *face palm' I know the simplest solution would be to tell them off but then am pretty sure u guys can relate to relatives 'That just wont listen'
From the experience of my girl Shab if strangers or relatives come for visit she is caged and so is Kaiser now he's pretty obedient for 'Cage' command so like i mentioned the issue would be if some1 accidentally lets him out...And if that happened to my girl she always came back within 15mins never wondered off beyond our n nxt street but honestly i always went after her when it happened and brought her back gripping the collar lol..
Since he's still a pup I dont know how he'll turn out For now when he's let out on harness he'll only go around our street That too with us and come right in when we call him back But I guess I'll feel safer with a collar on him.. ?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
That is why I keep my gates padlocked. People just don't always listen. Plus I have kids in and out playing and the just can't be trusted.

Aside from padlocking your gate, do you have GPS collars available by you? It is usually a small monthly fee for the service after you invest in the gear up front.

Any collar is a snagging/hanging hazard. But in life you sometimes have to make weighty decisions and choose between evils. My first choice were I you would be locked gates.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Sunsilver As I mentioned above the house is pretty secure from the risk of him running away but of course the threat of thieves exists no matter what.. It doesn't matter if he stays inside or out Its a scary thing that we're constantly afraid of...My own house had been robbed a couple times before my Shab came and I feel she was the reason it didn't happen for 11 years cause 3 houses on our street was robbed and not ours...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP, your dog is an outside dog, right? Don’t use a choke collar, as others have said, they can very easily get choked out without anyone noticing.

We use a breakaway collar for Crios, and he wears it 24/7, but he is our escape artist. Yes, he is microchipped as well, but we normally get calls from our neighbors saying they have him. They wouldn’t have been able to do that if he was collarless. It does push his fur down, but it’s worth it to us.

Lyka also wears one 24/7, she feels weird without one, and will carry it to us if we take it off. Again, a breakaway collar. And her fur is also flat where the collar lays.

We put the collar on the pups if we are taking them somewhere or grooming them. We use a martingale for all 4 dogs when we are taking them out though. So they have the flat breakaways and a martingale that we attached the leash to.
Yupp he is As u mentioned ive had the same experience where my girl was brought back by our neighbours and it was only possible cause of the collar I think i'll prolly opt to keep a permanent breakaway collar on him whn he's older but for now I'll let that 'mane' grow pretty and fluffy ?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is why I keep my gates padlocked. People just don't always listen. Plus I have kids in and out playing and the just can't be trusted.

Aside from padlocking your gate, do you have GPS collars available by you? It is usually a small monthly fee for the service after you invest in the gear up front.

Any collar is a snagging/hanging hazard. But in life you sometimes have to make weighty decisions and choose between evils. My first choice were I you would be locked gates.
Hehe yes it would be so easy just to shut them all out I guess but unfortunately I dont have the power to do that (Ik how it sounds but honestly that'll cause a big scene so yeah no padlocking during daytime)
What I will do is give them all a full blown lecture about it and god help me hopefully they'll obey ?
I don't think GPS collars are awailable here (certainly not in our pet shops) but I have heard of microchips but that too is pretty rare... For now am going to warn my relatives Theu probably think its the same as my previous dog but they need to understand Kaiser's a new pup and not everything is going to be the same ?
Thx for the advice ?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any collar can choke a dog. If it can happen, it will at some point with some dog. No collar can keep a dog home, a good solid fence can and especially supervision and leadership. Mine only wear a collar with ID tags in the car and when we are away from home. Never at home do they wear collars and never has any dog ran away after "girls".
Sorry I wasn't necessarily saying that's how male dogs behave but he's our first male and I've heard about it a lot so that's why am concerned ?

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
Hellow guys wanna pop in with yet another question xD

Soo my Kaiser's almost 6mos now and so far we haven't put a permanent collar on him.. He does wear one temporarily when he goes out to walks or if we want to tie him but not at all on a daily basis...

But the thing is his breeder said to put a collar when he turns 8mos cause that's the time he'll prolly start looking for girls and am scared he might run away...

My previous girl wore a collar her entire life To me it was what tied her to us and in a way she probably knew it too cause if we remove it she'll come to us to put it back on But now that I think of it her 'mane' looked pretty crushed because of it and I don't want it to happen to Kaiser... Kaiser has started to struggle a bit when putting the collar and I knw if we wait longer he might not like it at all...

Tbh i dont want his 'mane' to be crushed by the collar so I was thinking maybe a chocker? I haven't used it before so no idea if I can keep it on him Or maybe something with a soft material? ?

Do u guys keep the collar on ur dogs or put it whn u go out only? (Btw I have heard of the license thing in foreign countries but it isn't required here)
My dog wears a catch collar all the time. Its an old nylon choke that is far too big, meant to give me something to grab if she spooks or bolts. She is also never unsupervised, except in her crate. If she was ever unsupervised she would not wear it at all. I would never leave a collar on a dog I did not watch, most especially any kind of a ringed or choke collar.
Other dogs wore collars only when out, off the property.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Crios will always need a collar on. He doesn’t get out to chase bitches, he gets out for fun. He is the worlds best escape artist. He’s also part husky, so it’s not surprising. No training or recall works on him when he sees an opportunity to run. He has a recall, and off leash, but when at home, all bets are off. We have a 6ft brick wall, concrete and pavers under the gate so he can’t dig his way out. He learned to take advantage of the kids, and will bolt the second they open the front door. So we built a gate blocking the front door so he can’t do this anymore, but we still leave his collar on as a precaution.

To each their own. I haven’t experienced collar issues personally, but my cousin had a dog on a tie-out, and he jumped the fence and hung himself. The lead wasn’t long enough for his feet to touch the ground. Then again, the dogs all follow me EVERYWHERE, so I’d be able to catch it long before it became an issue.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Look into perimeter training. You can train your dog not to bolt out of gates, and it's pretty straightforward. Find a tutorial online. This will prevent losing him if relatives are negligent. I am sure the street is not safe for him, and a collar won't help you with that.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Just curious...where are you located? I have an idea of where you are from your pictures and your name, but it's just a guess.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Frisco is three months and he is in a harness. Breeder says to save the neck for training at 6 months. I’m following his lead. Harness works fine and it like having a handle on his back to grab him and move him around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 21 Posts