German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my GSD boy, Koda to cancer, a few weeks ago, & my female GSD/Lab, Rory did ok initially, but really started missing having another dog around, so I started looking into finding a male to foster, with intent to adopt if he was a good fit.

I wasn't finding what I was looking for, so I told one of the local rescues that if one of the females had the right temperment, that might work.
They suggested a young (2-3 years old) female "blonde Shepherd", & with her described temperment, she sounded like she might make a good addition to my home, so I went to meet her.

As soon as I saw her, I questioned whether she was full GSD. I commented that while I can see the GSD, I was fairly sure I saw Belgian Malinois as well.
The foster mom said she thought the same as well.

I posted a pic on my FB page, & one of my friends who raises Mals said that without a doubt, she's GSD/Mal mix.
I was a bit leary about taking in a Mal, because I know they're generally a lot more work than a GSD. Hearing stories from my friend who breeds them, as well as from my former brother in law, who was a K9 handler in the military, that worked with Mal's, I was a bit intimidated.
After talking to my friend, describing the dogs temperment, I felt that I could handle her.
I took her home with the intent to adopt, if she & Rory got along.

Turns out, she's not house broken as thought, but not surprising, because with temperment testing, & her actions after being brought up from a CA shelter, they believe she was someone's dog that was left outside & never allowed in the house, & not much human interaction.

Within the first 24 hours, I decided to adopt her. She is a very sweet dog, & really wants her own person. She readily accepts Rory as being the top dog, & she really just wants to play. There's been one scuffle, when she was trying to get Rory to play, by nipping her in the butt, & Rory let her know that was not acceptable, & they both stopped immiately when I hollered at them.

I crate her when I'm at work (I go home on lunch break to let them out) & I was crating her at night due to not being house trained.
The last couple nights, I have let her stay out of the crate, in my room, & she has done very well. I have made sure to stay consistent with letting her out, & she seems to be quickly picking up on when I want her to go potty while outside.

She's been on house arrest, because they do not think she was previously vaccinated, so they're treating her as such, & she's had her first set of shots, & cannot go outside of the yard for walks & such until after her booster shots.
She went to the vet this morning to get altered, & I will be picking her up in the morning.

Tomorrow (Friday) will be one week with me, & her progression in that time has been amazing!
I know I will have a lot of work on my hands, & if it weren't for my friends with Mal handling experience, I likely would have passed on her.
My former brother in law & his wife are coming over on Monday, to meet her & he's going to give me pointers on working with her, namely activities to keep her ocupied as she recovers from her spay as well as the remainder of her house arrest.

My friend who raises Mal's suggested scent training & I will be starting that with her fairly soon.
I already have played the "find it" game with Rory, & Koda, when he was around, where I would put them in the bedroom, go hide some treats around the living room, & them tell them to "find it". Rory is awesome at it, but being part Lab, & almost 8 years old, she puts on the weight fairly quickly. I try to use healthier treats such as carrots too.

Anyhow, I have named the new girl, "Alexa" (meaning 'guardian').

Attachments

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
She's absolutely beautiful! I hope that everything goes well with her and Rory.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Oh how wonderful! She's so beautiful. Congrats on the new addition!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
She is beautiful! Congrats!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
She's beautiful! She looks a little like my first dog, Massie. My Rafi is a mali of unknown origin and I love him. I will for sure adopt another when the time is right. He is a very easy dog (for me) and so sweet and smart and playful and well behaved. :wub:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the replies! Sorry it took me so long to log back in. I'm training at work now, & I cannot log on at work, while I have a trainee, & most of my time at home is entertaining the dogs. LOL

Yes, Rory is part Lab. She does have the GSD coloring, & is often mistaken for purebred, but she definitely has the Lab build & some of the Lab traits. I adopted Rory from a puppy rescue almost 8 years ago. The mom was found giving birth to the pups under a construction trailer, & once the puppies were big enough, they sent them to my side of the state, to be adopted out. Rory was the only one who looked GSD, all of her siblings looked like Black Labs.

When I posted a pic of Alexa on FB, saying I was going to meet her & possibly bring her home, one of my friends who raises Mal's recognized the Mal look & sure enough, I definitely see it now. LOL

She's been a lot of work, & I learning process for me, but I would not trade her for anything.

I've had her for a little more than 4 weeks now, & I can see why she ended up in the pound. I think the former owners were heavy handed, & she reacted to it. I think she's been kicked, as well. She's had a few reactions that lead me to believe that. I was practicing my taekwondo in my backyard, while the dogs were playing, & Alexa reacted to my kicking movements. She has also reacted when laying on the floor, near my feet, & I move my feet, for whatever reason, she goes into defensive mode. She is not aggressive, but more reactive...meaning, she's not mean, she just reacts to something she is afraid of or doesn't like.

She's very affectionate & often comes to me to just cuddle.
She also really wants to please, but we're working on the obedience when she wants to do her own thing.

We went to a Andrew Ramsey nosework seminar a week ago, & had a great time! I initially just signed Alexa up, but since I had to take Rory anyways, because I couldn't leave her cooped up in the house all day, I signed her up too. Rory ended up excelling!

I have a few resources for training, most who have Mal experience.

I'm in the process of buying a house, & once we get moved & settled, (hopefully within the next couple montsh) I plan on enrolling both dogs in a local nosework classes. I also want to work on building a back yard obsticle/agility course, for both dogs.

I've been a diehard GSD fan for pretty much my whole life, they're what I was raised around. Mal's are becoming a favorite & I'm quite certain that Mal's will be a regular fixture in my life. :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I suppose I need to add another picture since I posted an update :)
Here's Alexa & Rory wating for me to throw the balls.

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe her to be a GSD/Mal mix. I've had a couple people who work with Mal's express that as well. (Not just through pix, but seeing her in person as well).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts