German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
If you own a dog, this will happen. Guaranteed. It's why it's SO important we socialize the CRAP out of our dogs. So a meeting like this will be taken in stride. OUR dog won't be starting a sudden fight. And our dog will KNOW and EXPECT us to take charge so they don't have to.

Additionally, we become more used to these meetings so not only stop freezing in terror (or at least that used to be me
) but actually are able to pay attention and more quickly figure out what may be going on.

Cause as you noticed, there's a big difference in the friendly Lab darting down the driveway to say hey....And the crazy poodle running down the street to show completely unappropriate behavior (to you? or your dog? makes a difference).

My general plan is to judge the dog's body language as it's coming in for the meeting. As I do this, MY DOG goes behind me. It's a 'calming signal' for both dogs to have me 'split' the tension by being in between. And it tells both dogs that I'm the one in charge of the meeting. If there ARE any humans with the other dog, I yell out 'is your dog friendly' . I tend to believe calm owners who give IMMEDIATE 'yes' answers. Those that hesitate or say no, mean I need to now direct all my attention to the other dog.

If I've done a good job with the socialization. And done alot of obedience training in classes and with distractions, MY DOG should not be the issue and causing the problems. She should be knowing to stay behind and let me deal with the situation. So just 1/2 ing the number of potential problem dogs on site makes a huge difference.

And then I do what needs to be done. Every dog is different. Some will back off with me standing tall and a deep voiced 'go home' . Sometimes I need to be yelling to get neighbors/owners involved (dogs do get let out accidentally). I've even used MY leash to gather up a dog and tie it because MY dog can be held by the collar or at listen while I yell for more help.

Will I kick out, or grab a stick if necessary? You bet. But have the VAST majority of the MANY MANY meetings like yours been dealt with by me just being calm and in control? Again, you bet.

·
Registered
478 Posts
i heard that pepper spray doesn't always work on dogs, so i went to a site who specializes in different emt/police supplies and ordered something called muzzle.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Hey, sprzybyl, you find a good dog training place yet? The best one I know and have used in your area is The Morris K-9 Campus in Randolph, NJ. Just off Rt 80.

And I'm hoping you have LESS than the 1 hour drive I have to make to get there!

http://www.morrisk9campus.com/

Other great place I hear raves about is

http://www.topdogobedience.com/

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Originally Posted By: koogLOL- you owe Crooked Creek -not "Crooked Teeth"
an apology! Silly you.
OH NO!!!
I'm sorry!! How did I mess that up?! I've got a crooked brain!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLeeHey, sprzybyl, you find a good dog training place yet? The best one I know and have used in your area is The Morris K-9 Campus in Randolph, NJ. Just off Rt 80.

And I'm hoping you have LESS than the 1 hour drive I have to make to get there!

http://www.morrisk9campus.com/

Other great place I hear raves about is

http://www.topdogobedience.com/
Oh thank you! We are checking out Auger's K9 school in Oakland (just up the street) tomorrow, actually. Apparently they do a lot of Police GSD work, so apparently they are pretty good (vet recommended) and priced very reasonably! We will see! I work out there by Randolph so its about an hour round trip for me... but I know lots of people who do your commute everyday... bless you guys!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Originally Posted By: sprzybyl
Originally Posted By: CameoI think it is just teaching the dog that if it charges at you good things happen - so some other unlucky person goes by with their dog and it continues on..............
had the same thought. good point
I'll know to avoid that house, but poor person who doesn't!
That is an excellent point, and I did not even register it. The way she put it there was the startle factor of being hit in the face and then the realisation "oh hey, that's chicken" almost as an afterthought. I haven't finished the entire dvd yet so if that point is addressed, I will let you know.

·
Registered
141 Posts
After many different dog attacks on my dogs and me, I carry pepper spray. One time was against two very aggressive dogs that were loose in front of their house. They were so aggressive to any person or animal that came within three houses that the police were called. One teenage boy was chased into a house that was not his as he was walking home from school.

I went outside with one of my dogs, not knowing about these two. They charged us from across the street. I heard and saw them with enough time to act. I stepped in front of my dog, and then I started screaming at them. When they got within range, I blasted the pepper spray into their eyes, and when they got even closer I started kicking at them. If they had just gotten out, I doubt that it would have turned out so well. They were hot and tired, so this helped in our safety. In the end three police cars were there, and all of the neighbors were told to stay inside their homes until it was safe. One of these dogs still lives there, the other left after the owners appeared in court.

One thing I learned about loose dogs that attack is that you not only want pepper spray, but you want pepper spray with dye in it. Owners of the attacking dog cannot deny it was their dog when they are covered in dye. Also, it can help the animal control officers in finding the exact dog that is dangerous.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
This happened once to Jesse and myself while walking down a street and GSD who was loose out front but was in his garage, the GSD came flying our at us barking and growling, I had a large umbrella and stepped in front of Jesse and blocked the GSD with umbrella while yelling in a deep voice "No leave it", then the owner came running out calling his dog, who then tells me his dog is friendly and I tell him, he didn't come out friendly and scared the crap out of my puppy. I didn't want to leave Jesse with that fear so we forced an introduction between the two dogs and turned out after a few minutes they worked it out and became friends and played for a while.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts