German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is the SECOND time in the last month I've gotten charged by a neighbor's dog. (Different neighbors/ dogs each time- on separate streets, actually).

The first one was after dark and all I could see was a white blur (turns out it was a fat Lab!) charging at me down a driveway. The dog was not trained and came from a house that did not have a fenced in yard. Luckily it didn't act aggressively once it got to us, and it didn't follow us.

This time, a dog apparently escaped its back yard and came charging at me from a block away. First I just heard a bunch of people screaming, and then I realized a big black poodle was barreling full speed ahead down the street at me... white teeth beared. I was terrified and realized I had no idea what to do. When it got to us, luckily it didn't attack... but it was bearing its teeth and lunging. The owner seemed shocked the dog got away but said "She doesn't like other dogs... keep away."

My 5 month old isn't dog aggressive but she barks and then once she meets the other dog (or person), she basically either loses interest or immediately tries to play. I tried to put myself between the dogs, but then I couldn't figure out if that was a good idea. What on earth IS a good idea when an aggressive dog is charging at you?!

I live in a town house so we walk my 5 month old several times each and everyday. I care about her exercise needs so I refuse to let these experiences keep me from walking her, but my heart is still beating really fast. Thank goodness we both are ok, but it SCARED me.

What on earth do you do in that situation??

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
Carry a big stick! I have had this happen a couple of times lately and this is what I have to suggest: Just make yourself "Large" and tell the dog to go home, do not turn your back or make eye contact. When this has happened to me, I usually have both my dogs w/me so the other dogs probably weigh the odds and I haven't had to break up a fight...yet. The owners have come and called their dogs as well. One lady actually let her dog out in the winter when dog was barking to "charge" us. Dog was E-fenced, but if my dog got away from me, or I slipped on the ice as I was trying to control Onyx, her dog probably would have been severely injured as it was not acting social, and onyx reflected that dogs attitude. I looked at the lady thru the window and mouthed WTF!!! Other opinions, please????

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have wondered this myself what to do. Most of the time when a dog ran to us Baron was acting like "If I get off this leash your going to loose a limb" So the other dog stops rethinks then runs away. Sooner or later though theres gonna be somebody who is as dominant as him and I'm gonna be in deep doo doo. I like the big stick idea but what happens when the dog turn on you because your taking a swing at him?

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
I was kidding about the stick, but a walking stick is a good idea if you only have one dog to control,I see people doing this when I am out and about. I don't carry a stick...LOL!

·
Registered
618 Posts
pepper spray= me on the ground screaming rubbing my eyes while the dogs fight. I got a 50/50 shot of pointing that in the right direction

·
Registered
27,244 Posts
My DH bought me some and I gave it back to him for the same reason!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've only had this happen once...I think it was (luckily) just trying to play (large/teenage-ish lab puppy) the stupid owner had 2 lab puppies, both off leash, and he was on a bike. When he called to the one that came running at us he ignored the owner and it just made the other dog focus on us and also come at us! I pulled both dogs close to me and kept myself between them while the guy tried to get ahold of his dogs.

The only thing is tightening the leash like I did alerted my dogs that I was upset and so they both went on guard despite both being dog friendly. It's tough, you want to remain calm while also controlling the situation to prevent a fight.

I have heard of carrying an umbrella and opening it at the offending dog. It is supposed to startle them and if not it provides at least a slight barrier. Note to self: Pick up umbrella at the store.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
We have been charged a couple times by loose dogs and always while I have my dog controlled on leash. Each time I have stepped in front of my dog to protect her. She has already been attacked once when I was at class with her and I was standing across the ring and because of that she does not like other dogs barreling up to her, even if they are friendly. So I make sure to step in and protect her. I recall 3 instances that I've had to step in between my dog and another dog and 1 time I was bit in the thigh. I'd rather it be my thigh than Molly's face. The most recent time was with with my neighbor's 2 dogs. I scared the crap out of them by squaring up throwing my arm up in the air and screaming at them to "get and go home". Thankfully they both ran back home. Now I carry my cell phone with me and have our local animal controls # programmed in there to call and complain about an unleashed dog since it is illegal to have a dog unleashed in our town.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I too get my dogs behind me as best I can, start yelling at the approaching dog with my nasty voice, and get ready to kick hard if needed. I will and have kicked attacking dogs and so far it has worked for me long enough for the idiot owners to catch their stupid dogs.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Patricia McDonnell (in her dvd "dog-dog agression") suggests that when your dog is on leash and another "off leash dog" approaches (aggressiveness not necessarily being determined), you put your dog in a sit stay and step between your dog and the approaching dog. Then she suggests you command the other dog to sit (or stay) or say NO and in many cases the dog will obey for long enough for you to edge away. She also had some other good ideas including the umbrella or throwing a handful of treats at the other dog as a double distraction but she admits not everything will work for every dog. Your dog will however appreciate your ability to take charge and protect them in any event.

I got a lot out of this dvd even though the production is not really professional .. but that lack of high tech professionalism kind of adds to its appeal.

·
Registered
520 Posts
This has worked for me in the past and you have to do it like you REALLY mean it. Make yourself large yes by waving your arms above your head and scream REALLY loud and bloodcurtling NO-BACK -GET OUT OF HERE! GO HOME! This ususally scares the heck out of the dog and they change their minds.
PS I ALWAYS carry a sturdy walking stick it has come in handy more than once.
The only time I was truly scared to death of charging dogs was while jogging ALONE on our country gravel roads. A pack of dogs, pets of a man up the road, (normally they run down the drive and pretty much stop as I say sweet things and stay on the other side in a very non threatening way) surrounded me. The owner had taken in a Chow, who was VERY aggressive and as I later found out had bitten numerous times. With the addition of the Chow the pack was now 6 and the CHOW made it clear he would do me harm. With his energy the pack was changed and I was in huge trouble. Eye contact, no way and I had no stick or weapon, and was all alone with the chances of a car about nil. Screaming at him quickly proved useless. It was the longest 5 minutes of my life. Bending down to pick up a rock put my face right down where I could be bitten, it was truly terrifying. I assesessed my chances and began sweet talking while looking up and away and took baby steps backwards, not wanting to give my back for fear of a rear attack. I walked and talked and even sang backing out until I apparently got far enough from their territory that they slowly began dissappearing. I continued walking backwards slowly for a very long time with my heart pounding.
That was one of the scariest moments of my life and I avoided that run area until I found out the Chow had not only bitten the neighbors but the owner's wife and he shot the dog.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I posted last month how an American bulldog got out of the house and rushed and tried to attack Chevy while out on a walk. It really scared me and I did call animal control. They advised me to always carry pepper spray when walking. We have many dogs in my neighborhood that get out of the yard and many have came up to us while walking. DH tells them in a strong stern voice and without yelling to go home or to get out of here. They usually stop and sit while we continue to walk. We've had this happen three times in the last two days
. I always carry my cellphone with me and have animal controls number programed in and call whenever I see a dog running about or not in it's yard. It is scary when something like this happens and I still don't take the pups for a walk solo.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Crooked creek's experience is why I do carry pepper spray. We live in a rural area where the idiot neighbors think that dogs are born to run the neighborhood, and I will do everything possible to avoid an injury to my dogs. I know where the dogs live and avoid those routes, but never know when a dog will appear out of the woods. I don't want to hurt another dog in the process of defending myself and Riley and Lady, but if I have no choice, the dog is getting a face full of pepper spray and the police are getting a phone call. I've been fortunate so far, as the dogs we have encountered have ran the other way when I yelled at them and walked toward them a little instead of becoming their "prey".

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your suggestions/ stories!

crooked teeth that's an incredible story. I think I would have fainted!!

I did as Patricia McConnell suggested I tried to get Riley to sit (she's 5 months old, she did for the most part) and put her behind me. I think I was stunned silent but you all are right- I should have yelled. I wonder how much it would have helped because everyone else on the block was yelling too? I REALLY did get ready to kick though! and I did make eye contact (opps)

Hopefully I will never have to practice these new ideas again, but this definitely helped. I never thought about tossing a bunch of treats! Maybe I should start walking with a big juicy steak! (lol I'd have all the dogs in the neighborhood chasing me)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I yell at the dogs in a very firm NO nonsense voice and so far this has worked for me.

One comment on the bit about throwing treats..............I can understand it is a distraction, don't know how long it would last and I think it is just teaching the dog that if it charges at you good things happen - so some other unlucky person goes by with their dog and it continues on..............

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally Posted By: CameoI think it is just teaching the dog that if it charges at you good things happen - so some other unlucky person goes by with their dog and it continues on..............
had the same thought. good point
I'll know to avoid that house, but poor person who doesn't!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
We've been charged by dogs a lot, plenty of people around here don't use leashes or have e-fences in their front yards. Typically, I stop or slow almost to a stop and ask Kenya to sit then stand between her and the dog. I avoid eye contact with the other dog and move Kenya away slowly, so as not to incite any prey-drive chase. I've never yelled or said anything to the other dogs or waved my arms, I don't know if they will see that as a challenge and get aggressive and I think that would upset Kenya. I'm lucky that Kenya is not dog aggressive or leash reactive so charging dogs often have no affect on her. Sometimes these dogs charge very fast, but don't put on any aggressive display and the dogs just sniff each other. I don't allow playing or interaction with strange dogs beyond a few seconds of sniffing, "OK!", and then we move along. There is one house in particular where there are to Shih Tzus behind and e-fence right on the sidewalk that charge, bark, and growl when we go by. Luckily Kenya stays loose leash and just rolls her eyes. We've also been charged and bitten by a Dachshund more than once so we always look out for that house!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts