German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
OUCH that is a good size incision! I'm so glad the news is good, and Indy looks great! Dogs are so amazing on how well they tolerate things like this..

Glad to hear this:)

Jen

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
She's been a trooper. She's my sensitive girl, and very stoic -- I've been proud of how she's handled everything.

When I picked her up after the surgery, I tried to go out the door at the vet office that is the longer way to the car, because I was trying to avoid some dogs that were in the way. She would have none of it and plowed right through the other dogs to take the shortest way. LOL, Indy stands for Independence since I got her on 7/3/97....I guess she's still got that independent streak in her!

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks Jean.

Being cleanly excised, there's a good chance that they won't form again. BUT, these things release stuff when messed with, so they always assume that surgery may never fully get rid of them - -many do reform, or grow somewhere else. Yeah, the 5 tumor thing is wierd. I'm thinking that if we waited too much longer, the outcome would not have been so good.

To me, this looks like another wierd symptom of her central immune systemdysfunction. However, it will help me figure out what to direct the suppelments at....it's possible that if I target this mast cell stuff, all of her might get better, and that would be cool.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Quote:BUT, these things release stuff when messed with, so they always assume that surgery may never fully get rid of them - -many do reform, or grow somewhere else
Lisa they don't have to be messed with to break off. Having had cancer myself, I know that it only takes a small cell to break off and travel through the body. When I had cancer, mine broke off prior to being surgically removed, and then was caught in my lymph nodes. Cancer cells are known to move around much more easier than normal cells do. These cells can spread through local spread, lymphatic system, and blood circulation. New tumors can then form in different organs, which is then considered secondary cancer.

I hope Indy is as lucky as I have been and as lucky as Kallie was. Even though Kallie's cancer returned, she had a good 5 years of being healthy and happy:)

Jen

·
Registered
403 Posts
8 years in remission:) I go in a few months for a check, crossing my fingers all is still good!

I think it is strange about our two Max's and their ongoing issues. Indy and Kallie also have a lot in common, besides the fact they are both Independent day doggies. Kallie was born on the 4th of July:)

Jen

p.s. I brought Max to the vet for his eyes..I posted on the other thread..Let me know what you think:)

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Good luck with that check up -- hopefully at some point you will be able say it's been at least a couple of decades.

That's funny about Indy and Kallie -- there must be something to that independent thing :). And what's with dogs with the name Max and all their issues??? Geez!

(replied to you in the cataracts thread too)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts