German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given an amazing opportunity to attend a class for my job that will likely result in national certification and definitely help boost my performance and recognition in the field. The downside is that it is a 10 week class. And it is next month!! I'm still not "officially" going (the paperwork is still be compiled, as this was posed to me very last minute) and I am scrambling to figure out what to do with my babies. My parents offered to take Dakota. I would never expect ANYone to just gladly open their doors to a dog for 2.5 months...but then again, Dakota is more or less perfect and my parents adore her. Kaiser, on the other hand, is another story. Because I am training him in a specific manner, my parents don't want the responsibility to look after him. And, of course, he is a puppy. He will be about 8 months old when I leave...and will be 10.5ish when I return. Thats a critical age for any puppy, and a german shepherd puppy is not a dog to trust just anyone to. I hate to admit it, but he is just too much dog for my parents right now.

Now, there is a chance...and I hope you all will pray with me on this one, that the apartments used by the program I'll be attending MIGHT allow dogs. Of course, there is also the possibility of a nonrefundable fee (lord knows how much that could be). On top of that...my roommate, whoever that would be, would have to be ok with Kaiser too. Thats quite a few hurdles to pass, and I'm honestly not sure what I'd do if I cant afford to bring him or if he isn't allowed (for whatever reason).

The money thing is only an issue because my brother is getting married this month and I'm using quite a bit of my savings (if not all) for that event. The training thing won't be SO awful if I can manage a way to bring him...I might have to get up at 5am every day, but I could make that work. The issue of course is if Kaiser can't come....what the heck do I do with him? I can't afford to board him for 2.5 months (even at $25/night at my trainer's place, assuming she even had an opening, thats more of my paycheck then I can afford to lose) and I don't trust ANYONE to handle him the way I expect him to be handled. In the 8 years I've had my current job, I've never been given an opportunity like this. At the most, I'd be gone for a week, so I was never this concerned about my pups.

It may seem like a minor issue to most, but I believe that many, if not all, of the people on this forum think of their dogs than as more than "just dogs" and may possibly understand my concerns. I would absolutely be open to any recommendations you all might have, if Kaiser won't be able to come!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Do you have a friend that may be able to come to your house & house sit/ dog sit...maybe someone from your club? ( If you are in a club)

Or perhaps your parents can come over a few times a day to keep him company?

Hmm...terrible position to be in. Hope you get it worked out.:)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooooh no....I just received word that the complex has breed restrictions for "dangerous breeds"...and of COURSE what would have to be on there, but "german shepherds". :( :( :( :( :(

I sent an email to the training coordinator (who is the go-between) asking if I could speak with management and provide a trainer and vet recommendation. I dont know what else to do! :(

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have a friend that may be able to come to your house & house sit/ dog sit...maybe someone from your club? ( If you are in a club)

Or perhaps your parents can come over a few times a day to keep him company?

Hmm...terrible position to be in. Hope you get it worked out.:)
My parents live 3.5 hours away, so that wouldn't work. As far as someone coming by to house sit...I honestly don't trust anyone with Kaiser. Dakota would be different, because she's so "easy". But I don't want someone ruining Kaiser since he will only be 8 months old at the time I'd be going to the class. I've had troubling finding people I could trust my dogs with ever since I moved out here. A lot of people don't understand why I'm so involved with training and rules and the like, and to them, dogs are just dogs.

I am not in a club yet (still looking for one). Big sigh!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Is there anyway to stay at different housing, if they won't make an exception? This would be a major issue for me also. I worry about her when we go away for the weekend. How far do you need to travel for the class?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there anyway to stay at different housing, if they won't make an exception? This would be a major issue for me also. I worry about her when we go away for the weekend. How far do you need to travel for the class?
The training is almost 10 hours away, maybe 9, in Tennessee (I'm on the coast of NC). My parents live 3.5 hours away. The housing that is being offered is done so through the organization that is putting on the training. Basically they say the training costs $X.XX for the entire course, which includes the training, supplies, and an apartment. The apartment is not part of the facility; Rather it is a standard complex that offers housing on contract with the organization. Hope that made sense. If I found other housing, it would be out of pocked on my end, and I cannot afford that (I'm already paying beach rent prices at my own house).

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
i would ask your trainer for a break on the 25.00 per night, and see if you can stretch the payments out to what ever you can afford. are you able to get home on the weekends for training?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hadn't planned on returning home because of the distance. Even if i left at 5 on a friday, I wouldn't get home until 2 or 3am...and by then I would be charged the 25/night fee for that night. I would have to then leave just after lunch on sunday to get back to the training...and I think that would wear me out for 2.5 months :(

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
any kennels near the training that you can afford? when i was in the navy, an 8 or 9 hr drive was nothing, you can easily do this for 2 1/2 months.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you hide the dog? (I've done this before)
Why not just tell them he's a border collie mix? He doesn't resemble a typical GSD and with his coat, you could get away with it.
I don't think I could get away with hiding the dog. Because the rules are so strict, and because I'd be a new face, I'm sure people would notice. I've also started getting more people around where I live commenting on my "nice german shepherd". I could probably fool a few, but it would just take one person making a comment that could get me in trouble :(

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Could you have his breeder board him for you?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
unfortunately no, he's 1.5 hours out of the way and doesn't train the same way I am. I suppose beggars can't be choosers, but I'm worried about Kaiser coming back to me "messed up", for lack of a better term. I hate the thought of having to retrain him or un-train behaviors I never wanted. I'm not trying to say he WOULD be messed up, but there are very specific things I'm doing with him that not everyone cares to spend the time focusing on.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I'm curious,what kind of training are you doing?All of things I was going to suggest have been covered already. I know this isn't your first choice obviously,but if I could find someone to care for him even if they didn't do the training EXACTLY like I did, I would be happy with that. You can always pick back up where you left off. I've had to do this before with my dogs,and even though I told the sitter to do things a certain way as far as training goes, they usually didn't. It didn't take my dogs long to get back to their old routine though.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I'd leave him w/your parents and hire a dog walker to go by to take him and burn of puppy energy.

Friends, Boy friend cannot stay at your home and care for

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
well you are in quite a pickle! how about one of your close friends? I think you might have to put his training on hold until you get back. Now this isnt something you planned, but it is also something you cant pass up either, so do the best you can with kaiser and remember this is only temporary. You do know that kaiser will adjust much better than you will :) Poor kaiser's mommy, i feel for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts