German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really sure how this happened...but we were playing in the back yard and I noticed her tracking a bit of blood around inside. Looks like her nail split. I got the bleeding stopped and gave her foot a little bath and put vetericyn on it. Would this warrant a vet visit for you all? Or just keep it clean and let the nail grow back?

I just don’t see what the vet will do besides give antibiotics and tell me to keep it clean...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,673 Posts
I think antibiotics are a good idea.You really don't want an infected toe or foot.A vet visit now could save your pup much pain and misery and also your bank account!

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
If it were my dog I'd do what you did and just watch it closely. Since it's a spot your dog can lick, it'll most likely heal on it's own without veterinary intervention, again just my opinion! But if it does seem to not be healing, or if there is any sign of infection , I'd be at the vet's ASAP.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Had the same thing happen to my girl:

We just kept polysporin on it and wrapped her foot with some gauze and vet wrap after having it trimmed back past where it was split so it could grown properly. She kept reinjuring it though, so it took over two months to heal. Because of that we decided to trim it completely back to the nail bed (by the vet and while she was under) so it could grow and heal normally.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I don’t think she would re injure this, it almost looks like the side of the nail was sliced off with the bottom side still in tact. My vet had an opening in the morning so I’m going to take her in. One of her vaccinations is due in a few weeks anyways...I’d like to avoid antibiotics if possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts