German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've been having some problems with my puppy (7 weeks) urination on the carpet.

The first few days he was here it was expected. But after a couple of days he began to cry when it was time to go. So I'd open the door and I would take him outside to take care of business.

After he would do his thing he would smell around the back yard and look for something to mess with and I would let him before taking him inside the house until yesterday after noon (bloody nose from being poked by a blade of grass).

I brought him back inside and he fell asleep for a couple of hours. He woke up and this time he walked straight to the carpet and urinated on it (wasn't very much). I scolded him and got his attention. I then opened my room door like always and had him follow me to the back yard.

On the way outside he stopped walking and urinated a bit again in the living room. So I just picked him up from there and took him outside. Once again he did his thing but this time I didn't let him play around like I usually would because of the accident with his nose.

When I took him back into the house I had him follow me. On the way back he urinated on the carpet in the living room and again in my room.

This occurred several more times throughout the day. He wouldn't cry before wanting to go like he used to and would just go anywhere and occur again right after bringing him back inside.

I don't want to have to keep him outside or locked in the laundry room because of it. So I'm hoping someone here can give me some pointers on why he's acting up or what's the reason behind him doing it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I think you might be expecting a little too much from a 7 week old pup. When you remove the pup from the crate, carry it outside to do it's thing. Once done, carry it back in to return it to the crate or supervise it's play before placing it back into the crate. I don't remember exactly, but it took a few weeks before my pup had the whole 'potty outside' thing down. Stay consistent and don't get discourage, it'll happen. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
also you should have him checked for a urinary tract infection. he is very young, too young to be away from his mother and littermates by a week. razinkain is right on as well. good luck with him...oh, and also, if you keep scolding him when he makes a mistake he'll only learn to hide where he goes. praise for a job well done, ignore mistakes and take him outside, more praise if it's another job well done.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I would agree...too young to expect much.
A UTI can be common in little puppies...keep an eye on him.
Be consistant and be patient...it can take up to several months before they are 100%.

·
Super Moderator
32,426 Posts
He's not "acting up". At 7 weeks old (how long have you had him BTW?) it's highly unlikely that he understands both that he should be peeing and pooping outdoors, and that he should not be doing it indoors. That can take weeks or months for a puppy to learn, and the younger the puppy the less bowel and bladder control they have, so with a little pup like that, when he's got to go he's got to go NOW!

I brought him back inside and he fell asleep for a couple of hours. He woke up and this time he walked straight to the carpet and urinated on it (wasn't very much). I scolded him and got his attention. I then opened my room door like always and had him follow me to the back yard.

On the way outside he stopped walking and urinated a bit again in the living room. So I just picked him up from there and took him outside. Once again he did his thing but this time I didn't let him play around like I usually would because of the accident with his nose.

When I took him back into the house I had him follow me. On the way back he urinated on the carpet in the living room and again in my room.
Your mistake here was letting him walk around after his nap. Puppies need to go out after they eat, after they play, and after they nap. The second he woke up you should have whisked him outside (either pick him up and carry him, or leave a leash on him that you can pick up and run him out with) and then encourage him to "go".

The fact that he's going so frequently could definitely indicate a UTI, so I would take him to the vet and have him checked to rule that out. Are you cleaning his pee spots in the house with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle or a similar product? If not, he can still smell it, even if you can't, and he's going to be attracted back to those areas. When he goes outside what do you do? Do you make a big fuss, praise him like he just did something amazing like cure cancer, and give him a little treat? If not, start doing that. Carry treats on you at all times so you have them handy, or keep them in a place where you can quickly grab them on your way out the door.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Like the others have said, he's a tiny baby and as such doesn't comprehend what's expected of him. When I have a puppy I immediately carry him outside whenever he wakes up from a nap, "looks like he has to go", after he eats or drinks, plus I get up several times during the night to take him outside to potty. When he goes outside, pees or poops, I praise him, praise him, praise him like he's the best boy in the world!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I don't even get my puppies until 7 or 8 weeks old and KNOW they aren't housebroken for weeks after that.

I also know if they DO have an 'accident' it isn't my puppies fault. It is MY fault. I wasn't paying attention. I wasn't in the room. I didn't take him out frequently enough.

Best way to punish when I find a puddle is to get a newspaper, roll it up into a bundle hold it up high in the air............

and beat MYSELF over the head/shoulders with it! The accident was MY fault, not my puppies, so I'm the one who's in trouble!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yeah everyone else has said what needed to be said. He's an INFANT, he needs patience and understanding, if it's an accident, it's YOUR fault entirely! Please don't punish or get angry at the puppy, it'll only confuse him!

Maintain a very strict schedule and it will make all the difference in the world - basically, he needs to go outside every hour on the hour AND after every meal, drink of water, nap and playtime. And I mean RIGHT after! The first thing he should do after all of those activities is go outside! And when he does his business out there, praise him a lot, give him treats and act excited, let him know he's done well!

Also, if you're not able to supervise him, even for a second, he should be in his crate. Dogs naturally don't soil their own dens.

Puppies don't have full control over their bowels and bladders at 7 weeks, either - so sometimes, they really can't help it! Remember, he has a baby brain - he wants to please you, but he's very young, and he's going to have accidents - it's not his fault and he's not being bad or vindictive.

If I have any personal tips, they'd be these, and keep in mind - I brought Remington home at 7 1/2 weeks. He was housetrained within 3 days. Seriously. He's only had 3 accidents since I brought him home, all of which were my fault for being absent minded. Anyway, I always used the same door when I took him out - the sliding back door in the living room. This way, he knew the one place to beg to go out at, and wasn't confused. Perhaps you could try this. Maybe even hang bells from the door and teach him to ring them before he goes out, once he's older.

I also continue to praise him lavishly when he goes outside - the praise shouldn't stop once he's housebroken. I tell him "good boy!" excitedly every single time he goes outside. I want him to know darn well that he's doing the most excellent thing in the world by going outdoors.

When your puppy inevitably does have another accident, don't get mad - just pick him up calmly, take him outside right away, let him finish his business if you caught him in the act or just wait a minute, say "outside," and then take him back in. Make sure you clean the area VERY WELL - if he can still smell it, he's likely to go in that spot again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you might be expecting a little too much from a 7 week old pup. When you remove the pup from the crate, carry it outside to do it's thing. Once done, carry it back in to return it to the crate or supervise it's play before placing it back into the crate. I don't remember exactly, but it took a few weeks before my pup had the whole 'potty outside' thing down. Stay consistent and don't get discourage, it'll happen. Good luck.

also you should have him checked for a urinary tract infection. he is very young, too young to be away from his mother and littermates by a week. razinkain is right on as well. good luck with him...oh, and also, if you keep scolding him when he makes a mistake he'll only learn to hide where he goes. praise for a job well done, ignore mistakes and take him outside, more praise if it's another job well done.

I would agree...too young to expect much.
A UTI can be common in little puppies...keep an eye on him.
Be consistant and be patient...it can take up to several months before they are 100%.
Just want to say thanks for the tips to the 3 of you. I just started to carry him outside the next day and wouldn't let him walk around in the carpeted area. The day after this he was back to normal and wasn't going in the carpet or in the laundry room which is where I have him.

Everybody else IMO is just full of it. I didn't make the post to be scolded by someone who babies the **** out of their dogs probably more than they did with their own children.

The second day I had him he had the bathroom thing down perfect. When this incident started to occur that's when I posted this.

As far as "it takes a few weeks" thing, all I can say is that BS. I've had other dogs that have learned within a matter of days. None as quick as Deuce. He's a very intelligent puppy and I do not have to go to extreme limits to teach him what he already has learned.

The only thing he really needs to learn right now is to stop messing around with my dads female GS mix. She's a little moody (hurt her paw jumping the fence) and growls at him anytime he gets near her although he does stop when I tell him "No" anytime he starts to approach her.

One thing that I and others noticed is that he really stares at you when you're speaking with him like if he's trying to understand what you're trying to tell him. None of the dogs I've raised have ever done that.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
:spittingcoffee:

Sorry, I just found it funny to see you telling such knowledgeable people who have done amazing things with their dogs while constantly seeking to increase their training expertise, and were only trying to help you, that they're full of it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:spittingcoffee:

Sorry, I just found it funny to see you telling such knowledgeable people who have done amazing things with their dogs while constantly seeking to increase their training expertise, and were only trying to help you, that they're full of it.

Trying to lecture someone does not mean helping them out.

As far as what they have accomplished I can care less. There's a whole section for them to brag about what they have accomplished if the wished to use their "I've accomplished this" card.

I didn't ask for a lecture. I asked for assistance for my problem.

As far as your post WGAF what you have to say. Your post does not contribute to the thread so keep your opinion to yourself because nobody asked for it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Actually, you seem to have initiated the thread seeking opinions, and are only objecting now when you've received those that you dislike.

As far as your dog is concerned, there's a reason many states have laws making it illegal to sell a puppy under the age of 8 weeks.
If your profile is correct, and you live in California, you should be aware that your breeder committed a misdemeanor crime in selling you a puppy that was not yet 8 weeks of age.

There are reasons for these laws, and the largest of them is physical maturity. A dog is not physically mature enough under 8 weeks of age, to be removed from it's dam and littermates.

Everybody else IMO is just full of it. I didn't make the post to be scolded by someone who babies the **** out of their dogs probably more than they did with their own children.
As far as this is concerned? Nope, actually, it would be treating the puppy exactly as fairly as one would treat their children.
I sincerely doubt anyone has ever scolded their 3 month old child for urinating in their diaper. Scolding a 7 week old puppy for urinating in the home is exactly the same degree of absurdity.

It's not babying, it's fairness and common sense.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, you seem to have initiated the thread seeking opinions, and are only objecting now when you've received those that you dislike.

As far as your dog is concerned, there's a reason many states have laws making it illegal to sell a puppy under the age of 8 weeks.
If your profile is correct, and you live in California, you should be aware that your breeder committed a misdemeanor crime in selling you a puppy that was not yet 8 weeks of age.

There are reasons for these laws, and the largest of them is physical maturity. A dog is not physically mature enough under 8 weeks of age, to be removed from it's dam and littermates.

How's your reading comprehension?

Did I ask anybody for their opinions in my original post?

Did I ask for anybody to assume what I am and what I am not doing?

As far as my dog is concerned don't worry about when and where I got him. Nobody asked you for a review in the laws.

Like I told the last poster. Don't bother to reply if you don't plan on contributing to the thread.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm sorry, you seem not to understand how forums work.

Forums, taken from the ancient Roman forums, which were gatherings in public places for discussion and debate.

Forum, not soapbox. The modern equivalent of the latter would be a blog.

Yes, of course, don't worry about the dog.
Society is always best served when people only worry about themselves, right?

If you have a problem with the posts on a thread, the octagonally shaped exclamation point to the lower left of every post allows you to report it to the moderators/administrators of the site for review. I expect, however, you will be told that the rules do not prohibit being disagreed with.

So, exactly what was the purpose of your post? Did you want people to cheerlead your decision to scold an infant who was sold illegally underage for something it physically lacks the ability to control? Are you really surprised that people would find it fitting to post advice on a thread which appears in a board largely dedicated to sharing advice, with a thread title:

"A Little Help Needed"
?

Really?

"Hoping someone can give me some pointers on why he's acting up, etc"

Umm, yes, you were given them.
The dog is physically incapable of what you're asking, by virtue of age.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sorry, you seem not to understand how forums work.

Forums, taken from the ancient Roman forums, which were gatherings in public places for discussion and debate.

Forum, not soapbox. The modern equivalent of the latter would be a blog.

Yes, of course, don't worry about the dog.
Society is always best served when people only worry about themselves, right?

If you have a problem with the posts on a thread, the octagonally shaped exclamation point to the lower left of every post allows you to report it to the moderators/administrators of the site for review. I expect, however, you will be told that the rules do not prohibit being disagreed with.

So, exactly what was the purpose of your post? Did you want people to cheerlead your decision to scold an infant who was sold illegally underage for something it physically lacks the ability to control? Are you really surprised that people would find it fitting to post advice on a thread which appears in a board largely dedicated to sharing advice, with a thread title:

"A Little Help Needed"
?

Really?

A debate? Seriously? Does the topic of the title entail to a debate?

The little exclamation thing there buddy is to report those who have broken forum rules. Not to complain to the mods about a post your disagree with.

But yet you say I'm the one that doesn't know how to use a message forum. Child please.

The purpose of the post is in the title and in the post.

What do the words "help" or "tips" mean?

Who said anything about expecting others to "cheerlead" my decision to scold my dog.

About the whole obtaining a puppy "illegally" and giving someone a lesson on it. You don't know where and how I obtained my dog. But if your that nosy and need to be put in your place I would like to inform you that I received my dog from an animal shelter that does not apply to the "age" law you are stating.

So I suggest you leave the keyboard alone and hop on to another thread where you can voice your so called "knowledge" to those who ask you for it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Umm... Did you forget these? (I can see why you'd be defensive, though.)

My GF and I are getting a pup from my sister's litter (12! born 11/18) which I named Deuce. The name just slapped me across the face when I came into my head.
Nah, my sister isn't a breeder. Her roommate noticed that my sisters dog was in heat so she asked if she could bring her GS male over for a few days. I have yet to see the male.

Thanks.
You're absolutely right, the title doesn't imply a debate.

Asserting that the responsibility somehow belongs to a 7 week old puppy for urinating in the house, and then mocking as "babying their dogs" the concerned dog owners who are attempting to respond to your request for help, is going to illicit a fair amount of disagreement and potentially, debate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Umm... Did you forget these? (I can see why you'd be defensive, though.)

You're absolutely right, the title doesn't imply a debate.

Asserting that the responsibility somehow belongs to a 7 week old puppy for urinating in the house, and then mocking as "babying their dogs" the concerned dog owners who are attempting to respond to your request for help, is going to illicit a fair amount of disagreement and potentially, debate.

Have you heard of anyone taking a litter of puppies to a shelter because they cannot provide for them? That's her problem. Not mine.
*removed by admin, rudeness/name calling will not be tolerated*

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sadly, I have heard of people intentionally breeding their animals, taking their pups to a shelter and dumping them. It's tragic, and it breaks the heart of most people who've ever spent any amount of time working in animal rescue.

Caring about animals is evidence of a lack of life? Really? I have to imagine that's news to most of this forum. Ironically, many of us have built a life around dog training, dog rescue and dog sports.

I'm sure you could care less about what I have to say [you've made it clear that you aren't interested in any response that is in any way inconsistent with your expectations of a 7 week old puppy's physical maturity], and if this was your personal blog, you'd be absolutely justified in objecting to my responses. This is, however, a forum, and whether or not you benefit from a person's posts does not impact another member's ability to benefit from them.

I have not personally attacked you, or passed a value judgment on you in any way, so I'm not sure why you feel the need to do so to me.

Rather than be defensive, why not set your ego aside, and realize that everyone could always stand to learn more, yourself included? You posted in this thread, and another, that you have no idea why the dog is doing the things it is doing. You specifically solicited help in the title of the thread. People stepped in to give you just that, and answer your questions.

Not realizing at the time that the puppy was a BYB pup from your own sister's litter, multiple people expressed concern about the age of the pup. Often, people are sold underage puppies by unscrupulous breeders, not realizing that separating a puppy from it's mother and litter too young has significant repercussions for the dog, both in the short and long term. You will find the same response on virtually any thread where someone is in possession of a puppy under 8 weeks.

Thanks for the concern about my dog. She's doing well, resting after a long day of fetch, and chewing on her favorite elk antler. Interestingly, the only "accidents" she ever had in the home were associated with uncontrollable diarrhea- she has never urinated indoors. I'm sorry you find my attempts, and the attempts of others, to get you to that same place, personally offensive.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My puppy was about 3.5 months before being trained. One day he'd seem to get it and the next day he seemed to forget all he knew. After reading a lot of these threads as being a new pet owner, we expected it might take a while so did not get upset over the accidents. We did move when he was 3 months old so that set him back a bit. I'm amazed that your puppy is learning so quick. Sounds like you have a VERY smart puppy or one with a really good bladder. Good luck with him. Do you have pictures?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I'm sure you could care less about what I have to say [you've made it clear that you aren't interested in any response that is in any way inconsistent with your expectations of a 7 week old puppy's physical maturity], and if this was your personal blog, you'd be absolutely justified in objecting to my responses. This is, however, a forum, and whether or not you benefit from a person's posts does not impact another member's ability to benefit from them.
:thumbup: to your entire post, and especially to this.

People forget how huge this board is, and that even with all of the active posters there are even MORE inactive members. So in a forum (particularly one of this size) your post/thread is not just about you. And many posters are either consciously or subconsciously aware of this as they offer advice. We really couldn't care less about your dislike of the advice. Its not about YOU, its about the dogs. And if you decide to disregard the vast amount of knowledge accessible from members of the board, hopefully the others reading the thread are differing from you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts