German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up this little guy at the humane society a couple of days ago. I guess the story was that the previous owner couldn't take care of him and just dropped him off with out much information.

The humane society told us he was a German shepherd mix (unknown what mixed with) and they estimate his age at 12 weeks. I suspect that he is a little younger. His current weight is 14.5 pounds, the paperwork when we picked him up said 12.6 pounds (only been two days, he may not have been fed properly). Vet visit scheduled for next week, so we may find out more then.

I'm sure he is no purebred, but I think he is a great little dog, and he seems really smart for such a young puppy. he and my lab are getting along great so i think he will be a great fit for our family. What do you guys think? Does he look like a German shepherd puppy? Any guess to what else he might be mixed with?

Either way I'm excited to see what he is going to grow into.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
he is freaking adorable! I do see a bit of GSD in there but I also see Collie. Welcome to the board.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Not a full GSD puppy but I am sure you will get many great years of enjoyment from him. Congrats....

He weighs more also because he's happy and actually wants to eat now.....

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Oh how cute he is! I love the white stripe on his nose :wub:

I'd also guess GSD/BC or Collie mix :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
He's Precious mixed with TooCute!!

Thank you for adopting :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Whatever he is, it sure is CUTE! What a lucky he is that your family found him!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Awww! But he looks a lot like an Anatolian Shepherd to me. But either way, he is adorable!

anatolian's are solid coloring with some darken in the face.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Part collie, but he sure doesn't have collie paws. He has big GSD paws!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He does look a little like a border collie! :) Any one want to guess what is age is?? I tried looking at his teeth, looks like they have all come in but I can't really tell. Hopefully the Vet can narrow it down.

We named him Chewbacca! but of course, Chewy for short.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's an update. It has been about a month and chewy is still the best puppy ever. He has grown to about 27 pounds so he is gaining about 2.5-3 pounds a week. Just in the past week or so his ears have started to do some crazy things so maybe his ears will go up? We don't really think they will stay up though, they just seem so floppy, and they have some folds in the back of them similar to our lab's ears that make me think he is mixed with something with floppy ears. Either was they're cute as ****.

Has anyone seen a tail that was a totally different color than the rest of the dog? His tail is solid grey/black, like someone dipped it in a fireplace.

Here are some picks, we aren't so sure that he is a border collie mix or not. But we are more sure his at least some part german shepherd.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Oh my... what an absolutely adorable pup! Congrats on the fantastic addition to your family! I definitely see shepherd in him, particularly in the third pic. As for the tail, I have no idea why it is the way it is, but it sure adds to the cute factor : )

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
He's actually getting cuter as he is getting older! I think he is looking more GSD-ish too. Never seen a tail like that - how odd!

·
Registered
478 Posts
He looks to be going more in the GSD direction , especially with the wonky adorable ears :)

He is adorable , and it sounds like he has a great disposition !

All of mine are rescues ..thanks so much for rescuing Chewy <3

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Wow, he's growing up even cuter! :wub: I still love the white slash on his nose :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We went to a new vet yesterday, and she told us that she estimates, based off his teeth and physical development, that he is only 12 weeks old. She said that there is absolutely no way he is 18 weeks old, (how old he would be based off what the humane society told us and our last Vet agreed with!) That means he might have been only 6-7 weeks when we first got him?? No wonder he was so calm when we brought him home, haha.

What do you guys think, how old do would you guess he is based off his pictures?

My guess is he is 14 weeks now, and he was 8 weeks when we got him. I’m just tired of people asking us how old he is and saying, “Not sure, what do you think?”

1 - 20 of 24 Posts