German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I liked Lauri's blog/diary about her Chinese Crested's litter so much, and I am a picture hound, I thought I would set this up so that all my pics and comments are at only one topic, rather than clogging up the board. LOL

I have also been alienating myself from my non-dog people family with my constant updates and thought, if I did that here instead, I would save them some grief :p

So as of today, my female, Cora von der Schodin is 7 weeks along, and doing famously, in my opinion. We know she has at least three and will do the x-ray on the 15th to get a real head count. I cant wait!

I guess the first order of business is to make sure I can successfully upload pics. I am using Facebook and the last time I tried I only managed to put up the links, not the actual pics. So I am going to try again

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

6 weeks ... but Not in the mood for pics. She is in what will be the whelping room before I got the box put together.

6 weeks.....

Whelping box with first coat of primer over it

Cora's first chance to check the box out all done(last night) the floor is stall mat material with linoleum over top and the box just set on top of all that.

last one

This morning .... 7 weeks prego ... all set up to wait for whelping.

I will be putting shredded newspaper down around the 15th ... when she goes in for x-rays. She is due the 19th or 20th.

Okay .... any comments/advice along the way are VERY appreciated.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Quote:I will be putting shredded newspaper down around the 15th ... when she goes in for x-rays. She is due the 19th or 20th.

Okay .... any comments/advice along the way are VERY appreciated.
NO newspaper.

I do not like raising puppies on newspaper. I feel it doesn't give them enough traction and I worry about swimmer pups (especially if some are born really big).

I prefer to layer towels for the actual birthing. I take away the towels as they get dirty and put down fresh ones as needed.

After the birthing process I like to use bath mats (rubber backed to keep them from sliding around) with a blanket on top - or just the mats. By using a blanket I can avoid having to wash the mats as frequently - just have to wash the blankets.

Here you can see the brown bath mat under the towel:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not for the pups, but for her to dig through when she is in labor .... ?? got the idea from leerburg ..... just to clarify .... I wouldnt raise them in it ... ick !! I plan on putting towels/sheets/blankets down afterward

I like the idea of mats .... You dont think with her being a bigger dog that her moving around wont bunch the towels up? That is what I was worried about.

kaynya is sooo pretty

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Newspapers are ok for nesting material, though I'd pull them out once labor starts. As Lauri mentioned layers of towels (or old blankets, or sheets, or whatever) works better for actual whelping. Soaks up more of the ick and each layer can be removed as it gets soiled.

For rearing the pups on, I also prefer cloth. We have large fleece pads. One caution I will make is to spread the covering out tight and tuck it under the sides of the whelping box. And don't layer unless all layers are tucked under at the ends. This way it can't bunch up and a pup can't crawl under and possibly be smothered or squished by a dam who couldn't see the pup.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool :) That is the material that I have ... I have been buying fleece by the yards :-D .... and basically what I was thinking of doing ... but it is GREAT to have it confirmed. Thanks Chris and Lauri

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Kaynya nested using the towels. I didn't want to be messing around inside the box more than I had to be once things started. And I didn't want Kaynya getting upset that I was removing something she wanted (like newspapers) while she was whelping.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
I had several towels layered in the box to start with and a stack next to the box. Once they got dirty I would push that towel off to the side of the box and expose or lay down a clean one. When she was busy cleaning a new arrival I removed the dirty towel. I made sure to get them out of the room as soon as she was finished whelping so she wouldn't smell them and look for them.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I started taking Cora's temps yesterday, and the thermometer had her at 98 degrees ... but it was an old one, so I got a new one yesterday afternoon, when I went to get a bunch of other supplies. Tried that this morning, and she was at 100.2. That sounds more like a normal temp to me. I will be temping her every 12 hours, so I should get an average.

I also got a stethsascope(sp?). I found at least two pups at different spots in her tummy, and then also her heart beat for comparison. It was really neat. She was like a steady march, and the pups a quick wawawawawaw .... on and on. You can even see them swimming around in there if you wait and watch quietly.
I cant wait till friday when we take the X-ray and get a true head count. I cant decide if I am hoping for a big litter or not LOL

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cora milk has started coming in. Wow, it is so amazing getting to watch nature work. Hopefully I can get some more pics of her today to put up. She is officially 8 weeks pregnant and due next tues/wed.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I am excited to see the new pictures!

I have been and will be keeping up with this thread!

Congrats to Cora and to you!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cora, 8 weeks pregnant .....

Okay, I caved ... I gave in and got out the balls for a short play/training session. If we had more space I wouldnt be so worried, but with the small yard, there are lots of thing for her to run/slide into.

She has decided that her favorite spot to hang out is under my cot down in the whelping room. LOL I havent been sleeping down there yet, I wont until monday ..... and then till the pups are 2 weeks or so. I just set it up to check of size, and she hi-tailed it under it, so I have left it there .... She also likes the box, but underneath the cot is is cool and dark ....

When we go looking for her and she isnt there(so it seems), you call her name, and all you get is 6 inches of tail going thump, thump, thump ... like 'I'm here mom :D'

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Hello Sarah, I am following your Cora's pregnancy also. She is beautiful!!! Can't wait for puppies piks.

I have a question is it safe to xray her since she is pregnant? I know it must be as I see breeders do this, why do you need to xray? Besides telling you how many pups is there other information you look for from the xray?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes the X-rays are safe.
This is one thing I do know, even though I am not a really experienced breeder. My dad was the State inspector(radiation health physicist) for all the X-Ray machines here, and he says that even a human fetus(baby) and take up to 20 direct shots to the pelvic region before it even is 'at risk' then, he says that is only when the risk goes up. For a pup, or foal or another mammal, the risk is even less. So one or two or three isnt a big deal.

As for what information it gives you. Dont underestimate the value of a accurate head count, rather than just a guess, which you get from a ultrasound. Knowing how many pups are coming can help you(me) prepare for as many different senerios as possible. More and more, bitches are having to have emergency cesereans becuase something goes wrong during labor. I dont want that. It would be hard on her, and even harder on my peace of mind(and budget). She is the most important thing in all this so we will have surgery if she has to, but I had a c-sec and they are awful ... I would much rather have been able to had my son naturally.

You also get to see the position of the pups. An accurate position. In an ultrasound, you only get to see 2-4 inches at a time, and with multiple pups swimming around in there, the geography can change quickly. If there is something that doesnt look right, then we can discuss having a scheduled c-sec. Although that is very unlikely.

Beyond that, Chris or Lauri will have to chime in
That is about the extent of my understanding.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So for now, just the results of the X-ray ... 6 pups for sure ... possibly 8, and I am so excited ... a Breeder friend of mine is sending a possible puppy buyer my way
... that would mean 4 homes for sure if they call ....

K ... I will post more later, I am running on starbucks and 4 hours of sleep cause the toddler kept me up all night
.... time to take a nap lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A litter Blog ... Cora's a picky eater :)

So far Cora has started refusing to eat kibble, wet food, and hamburger, but will eat steak, I am hoping she is just not liking the texture of the hamburger ..... and will eat chicken breast too. And she is glued to my side right now

1 - 20 of 109 Posts