German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hans is a major puller. We are working on it. Today my husband and I were trying to gradually introduce Hans who is a 1 1/2 yr old GSD to his Hanging Tree Cow Dog. They have been aware of each other for awhile but never in the yard at the same time. Cow Dog was on a leash and Hans' leash was hooked to his prong collar for extra control. I knew the situation and carefully double checked that everything was secure. Both were sitting (tremendous effort for Hans) and suddenly he lunges forward even though she was several yards away and I snapped the leash to correct for breaking "stay" and the leash just came off! Made for a tense moment for everyone. This is the 3rd time with 3 different types of leashes that the leash just came off. I sometimes put him on a horse lunge line to give him some space to maneuver when playing and it should hold a 1,000 lb. animal and has come off. Is there a custom one out there that absolutely, no matter what, will not come off? Or even a way to modify what I have to ensure the leash will not slip off?

Thanks!
Angela

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
You could make one with a cord and a locking carabiner.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
is the leash detaching from the collar or is the collar
slipping off of the dog?

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jocoyn,
Thank you, we will make one then. I find it hard to relax enough to concentrate on teaching him things when I have to worry about the leash just slipping off. My husband mentioned finding something that would lock in place. What you suggested sounds great. Thought there may have been an online company with something custom to order. I can't be the only person with a big, pulling dog in training. Appreciate the suggestion.

Angela

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doggiedad,
The leash is detaching from the collar. I assume the spring mechanism gets weak from the force from the pulling. It's just that none of the 3 types of leashes have been used for very long. I could understand failure if I had been using a particular one for months or years. I've only had Hans for about 3 1/2 weeks.

Angela

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I never had a leash come off, I just have the ones you push down on the the lip(?)not the ones that you push in with ring to attach. I always get the leashes that have the second handle down close to the end of the leash, you can have a shorter hold easily or have a loop in both hands .

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
Where have you gotten your leashes from and what kind are they? I did have a leather leash break once, and prong collars have been known to occasionally come off, but I've never had a leash that just came off the collar. These are the leashes I have, and I love them: Leerburg | Leather Dog Leashes

I also have these as a safety measure - one end hooks to the prong collar and leash, the other end to the flat collar: Leerburg | Leather Pull Tab

If either collar failed the leash would still be attached to the other collar.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I first got Hans from the previous owner, he had on a flat leather collar ( very sturdy looking) with a leather leash that has the same type of clip you see on 99% of the leashes found at Petsmart, Feeder Supply, etc. I wasn't really surprised the first time it came off during a correction because I assume it had been used all through his puppy stage and all the rowdiness and antics that can go on then. After being banished to a kennel for several months with only a short daily walk to potty, Hans became hard to control when he was out and pulled tremendously all of the time. I can see how that one got worn out. The next was the horse lunge line, but it has the

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
same type of clip as the leather leash. The next I found, which I was using this morning, was made differently with the top part of the clip going past the bottom part so I figured it couldn't let the ring on the collar slip through. Boy, was I wrong! Ready to try something different. I truly appreciate all of the suggestions.
Sorry for the messed up post. I accidentally hit the send button earlier.

Angela

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will look into Leerburg and Mendota. Didn't know of either one before I posted and hadn't really thought of making one. I do appreciate all of the suggestions and help.
Doggiedad, my husband just rolled his eyes when I told him my username, so at least someone appreciates it, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will look into Leerburg and Mendota. Didn't know of either one before I posted and hadn't really thought of making one. I do appreciate all of the suggestions and help.
Doggiedad, my husband just rolled his eyes when I told him my username, so at least someone appreciates it, lol.

Angela

·
Super Moderator
32,336 Posts
Our Leerburg leashes replaced some that we'd bought at PetSmart - Keefer's old leash still works, but it's stretched out quite a bit and the leather is discolored. Halo's clasp seized up from getting wet/sandy/muddy from going swimming in the bay and the ocean, and it was hard to get it on and off. I've had no issues at all with the Leerburg leashes, so maybe just getting a well made quality leash will solve your problem. It's never a bad idea to have a backup tab just in case though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts