German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking for a while now and figure I should introduce myself.

I never wanted a German Shepherd.

It's not that I didn't like them, but I love my Giant Schnauzers and truly thought any Shepherd I brought in my life would be a Malinois.

Then one sunny training day I was admiring a nice working GSD and made a comment... have you ever noticed that sometimes the smallest sentence can change your life? This was one of those 'life changing' moments.

I turned to my friend and said "I never want a German Shepherd, but I'd love to raise and train one to see what they are like".

She replied "Would you like to raise my puppy?"

You see, another breeder had leased her female and she was getting a puppy out of the deal. But in the meantime, a male she loved came up for sale and a dog from a previous litter was returned and her husband wanted to keep and work her.

It was totally unexpected, but perfect timing for everyone! The plan was I would raise the puppy and return her when she was a year old. My friend made it clear from the start that if I ended up wanting to keep her we would work things out, but I wasn't worried. I've fostered rescues and raised service dog puppies for years and have had no problems handing them over.

So Lexis came to live with us and she fit in well. She brought a nice energy to my home, was turning into a good little worker and had a great temperament.

As the year mark drew closer I realized - I didn't want to let her go. So I bought her. This little German Shepherd named Lex was now mine.

It's a decision I've never regretted. :wub: Funny how things turn out, eh?

Tracy

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Welcome!

I am from Waterloo, ON, it's nice to another Canadian GSD owner on the boards! :)

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Welcome, you know what they say about "Never Say Never".

Glad for the happy ending for you and your dog! :)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! Lexi is a beautiful girl!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts