Any toy given.
Wood trim around windows.
Wood trim around the bottom of walls.
Wood table legs..
Countless Kleenexes.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I like to think that I keep a close eye on pup. I like to think that he is either in his crate or in my line on sight. Imagine my surprise this morning when I reached into my pocket... and there was no pocket. Just an old man's leg where the pocket was supposed to be.

I take pup in the bathroom when I shower. He gnaws a bone on his place, the bathmat. Yesterday, it would seem he wandered over to the laundry basket and ate the right front pocket out of a pair of jeans.

I usually keep a handful of kibble in that pocket for emergency distractions. He ate the pocket clean out of the jeans without touching anything else.

I can't decide if I am mad, proud, or embarrassed. I am mad he chewed something up. I am proud it was something clever. Mostly I am embarrassed I didn't control his environment better.

·
Super Moderator
2,856 Posts
Ok, so I have had an inordinate amount of dogs over the past 30 years, many of which were dogs that I took on because the other local foster homes just couldn't deal with them.

Personal dogs:
14 month old Samoyed and 8 month old lab collaboration. They were in a kennel I built in the garage that was a plywood corner with a gate, utilising 2 garage walls as the other side of the kennel. They ate through the drywall into the neighbor's garage (duplex) while we were at work. They were hanging out with the neighbors until we got home. I had to fix both walls.

Gunner (field bred chocolate lab) at 18 months, tore every page out of a JC Penney catalog and deposited them throughout our house. When we got home and looked through the back door before entering, he was standing on the dining room table with our tax returns in his mouth.

Porter, a Jack Russel terrier trapped in the body of a Great Dane, rippled a ceiling fan off the ceiling. He was proudly holding it in his mouth at the back door when I got home. When I left, he was secured in a wire crate with carabiners on the door. It was completely destroyed. He also reduced an entire couch into pieces no larger than a soft ball in less than an hour. Yes, he was crated when we left.

Foster dogs:
Max, the Bullmastiff, would eat anything. We started this game called "What's in Max's butt." He used to swallow my green Army socks. Whole. Kitchen towels. Whole. T-shirts. Whole. I kept a box of disposable gloves by the back door so I could help facilitate the process of evacuation when necessary.

Chief the Husky, was a digger. He would excavate an amazing hole in the back yard in minutes. Like 3 foot deep.

There are more smaller infractions of little consequence, shoes, glasses, pillows and such, but Roscoe takes the cake.

Roscoe the pointy eared mutt went through every foster home in Lawton Oklahoma. Some of them twice. He was an escape artist with a penchant for destruction. He broke out of crates, and then out of houses. He would literally jump through windows. He would destroy furniture, clothing, urinate and defecate all over the house. He jumped out of a moving car to chase a cow. They called and asked if I would take him before they put him down. Challenge accepted. The first day, I put him in a 700 series plastic kennel. He chewed through the side, and managed to destroy a big pillow, some curtains and the arm of the couch without ever actually getting out of the crate. I patched the hole in the crate. The following day, I put the crate in the middle of the living room with nothing close to it. He broke out, destroyed a plant, the other arm of the couch and an area rug. To all those arm chair trainers following along, I ran him 5 miles that morning before I went to PT at 6:00.

2 things fixed him. I put him in a wire crate, upside down with the small grid down so he couldn't get traction on the floor. I then tied each corner of the crate to a leg on my dining room table. Then I put about 100 pounds of stuff on top of the table. He was finally contained. I gave him raw bones to keep him occupied. The second thing was Fama. I crated her right next to him. She didn't need it, but didn't mind. She liked her crate and was calm while crated in the house. I had him for 2 months. He ended up with a little old lady, happy as could be. She almost never left her house. He never needed a crate afterwards. I credit Fama with his training. He idolized her.

My current board and train likes to carry my shoes and socks around the house. He doesn't chew them up. He just distributes them.

Dogs are fun!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Porter, a Jack Russel terrier trapped in the body of a Great Dane, rippled a ceiling fan off the ceiling. He was proudly holding it in his mouth at the back door when I got home. When I left, he was secured in a wire crate with carabiners on the door. It was completely destroyed. He also reduced an entire couch into pieces no larger than a soft ball in less than an hour. Yes, he was crated when we left.

Dogs are fun!
our female bully is an escape artist as well. When crated, we HAVE to use 4 carabiners to keep her contained inside her kennel. Which to the complete opposite of bubba our male. I was cleaning one day and kept wanting to be right on my feet. So i led him into the kitchen and barricaded him in there. I used a dining room chair turned on it's side in one entrance, and a trash can with a broom leaning against it in the other. He just stood in the middle of the kitchen crying until i was done. Keep in mind bubba is 65lbs of SOLID muscle, but he is the biggest baby ever.

dogs are fun!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh Jeez, what hasn't my beautiful moose chewed/killed/disemboweled/destroyed?
several basketballs, took only minutes to deflate, a few more to tear to pieces
many tennis balls, popped, defuzzed, the multilated
oodles and oodles of 'extreme' chew toys (Ha! for extreme chewers, my *ss)
more than a half dozen blankets (given to him/them as bedding)
more than a half dozen dog pillows
easily a dozen towels (don't ask...)
multitude of cute plush dog 'toys' (all things Must die evidently)
3 shoes (each from a different pair of course)
doorway trim
doorway threshold (I think thats what its called)
The paver patio out back
my entire backyard lawn (between running and digging it didn't stand a chance through the wet season)
several buckets
general lumber (we put in an open shed for reuse later)
cord of the portable table saw
My favorite sweat jacket
the poorly made wood steps into the garage
miscellaneous fire wood (including those already burned, both inside fireplace and outside fire pit, guess he likes charcoal)
Kong tumble feeder (not destroyed but definitely not as functional as before)
bar soap (I think he ate most of it, only found a corner piece of it left)
miscellaneous 'snack' food in my sons room :mad: (Son finally learned, and then moved out lol)

I'm sure there are things I'm missing...

·
Registered
146 Posts
crap i forgot..

Karma also destroyed two pairs of flip flops (both in the same camping season!), and thanks for the reminder pfeller. She has also chewed through a couple power cords. One to a lamp in our livingroom, and the other a charging cord for my 5 yr olds tablet/leap frog

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
@jarn
Who would have thought he would try to eat CANS!? That is one determined dog. Pretty scary thing to try to eat...he was lucky!
He (and we) were lucky. Thank goodness it happened the way it did. Super stressful though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lets see.
Tile floor in my office.
About 30 feet of wood trim.
2 couch cushions. (1) foot rest.
Caught him gnawing on a new .$400 truck alternator. (I was moving stock around)
Got into one of my sealed plastic totes and had a field day with recent business paper work.
Ya my dog ate it!!

Oh ya i for got. MY upper partial. Got up on the counter and decided those were his. Back to the dentist. to the tune of 350.00.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts