German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please list what your pups or dogs have chewed to shreds, gotten into, destroyed, ate. This is meant to be funny. A friend told me her dog found a bag of cement mix and ripped it apart. She came home to powder all over the garage.
From my 4 GSDS : one chewed a hole in the sheetrock, ripped up a huge part of the kitchen linoleum, rugs are always ripped ( throw rugs), outdoor chair cushions, indoor pillows, 3 dog beds, VHS tapes years ago, pot-pouree, my designer blanket... what are the odd things yours chewed up?

·
Super Moderator
6,702 Posts
how funny, literally the ONLY notable thing i could remember off the top of my head while waiting for the page to load, was low and behold.... a carton of plaster!!

i WISH it had been in my garage... instead it was tossed around the living room, covered 2 gsd and a cat, paw prints on the sofa and stairs - but that’s not the worst part, he dug in the water bowl too. plaster + water... good times.

the night i became a believer of crate training.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
First dog GSD mix: Couldn't get into our apartment because she had pulled up the carpeting by the front door, tore it apart and it prevented the door from opening. Ya know if you steal carpeting from the back of a closet you can get out of not loosing your security deposit ;) After that incident a friend came over to show me her brand new very expensive sneakers. Like just bought them brand new. We left the room for all of two minutes to get drinks. Came back to find the pup chewing up her new sneakers. It was the mid 80's and $75ish was a lot of money to fork out to replace them and they had never been worn. Then there was the crotch of the underwear and sock fettish...ugh!

Next two dogs Chow mixes: Oh so many things. Kids toys, door casing, shoes, socks,every blanket in the house had a hole at some point. Raising puppies and having young children means stuff gets chewed. It was easier to train the pups then the kids...lol!

Current dog GSD: Carpet in the living room. Carpet in the guest room. She chewed a 3 inch hole in a brand new $100 blanket 5 minutes after I put it on the guest bed. I was not happy that day.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Oh, I remember this clearly. Zip (childhood GSD) had never destroyed anything before and, after this grand fiasco, never destroyed anything again. (He was around 5 at the time). But on this one, memorable occasion , Zip managed to tear down and destroy THE CHRISTMAS TREE. ?

We returned from Christmas Eve services to find lights, pine needles, garland and ornaments (many crushed) all.over.the.living.room.rug. Worse, Zip had discovered that a package sent by an elderly aunt contained her signature brownies (with crushed peppermint candies on top!) which everyone looked forward to each year. He'd excavated the box and consumed ALL the brownies with predictable, uh, gastric results --- all over the basement family room. Did I mention that we were expecting family for Christmas dinner the next day?

After frenzied cleaning (brother and I were assigned the family room because Zip was OUR dog), we fell into bed somewhere around 3 in the morning. I don't know how they pulled it off, but my parents (mainly my father I suspect) managed to jerry rig a presentable facsimile of a Christmas tree --- if you didn't look too closely.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Having multiple bull dogs and now a GSD mix has been a good learning experience lol.

Things that have been chewed on and survived..
Barbies
Drywall
Cupboards/Cabinets
Dining room table legs
Dining room chairs
The release handles on your camper drain lines...(STILL NOT HAPPY ON THIS ONE)
Tricycle
my arm
my hand
my toes
Volley Ball
Soccer Ball

Things that have been chewed on and NOT survived..
Barbies (seeing a theme yet lol)
Multiple Toy Horses
Several of my wife's panties
a couple of my wife's scrub bottoms
multiple dog beds
Multiple Kiddy Pools
Garden Shovels
Stuffed Dragon & Duck (Both of which lived through the bullies, but not so much Karma)

I'm sure there is more, we just may not have found the remains just yet...

·
Registered
176 Posts
As a kid, we had miniature schnauzers who were not crated who ate a mattress, a dining room table pedestal and the arm of a couch....every pup since has been crate trained, so virtually no damage.
Current pup has only wrecked one thing. In a weak moment I saw a Kong crate mat on sale that was supposed to be indestructible....He ripped holes in it....now back to nothing in the crate.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Wow, I feel extremely lucky that my dogs have never destroyed anything. Even my current puppy gets a bed, blankets, and his favorite stuffed koala in his crate with zero issues. The worst my never-crate-trained Golden has done was get into the trash. Not a big deal, just a bit of trash two feet from the trash can.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Wow. I had no idea dogs could chew so much up! Kias doesn't chew as much.
But so far he's gotten to: A sheet, a stuffed bear, a pillow (that was his little doggie bed, until he found out it had fluffy white stuff inside.), two soccer balls, and tons of paper and cardboard. That's all for now.
It's funny what things dogs find and chew! (A Christmas tree?! That must have been a surprise!)

·
Registered
31,127 Posts
The corner of a coffee table.
The foot of a Lion's Paw dinner table
A very large bottle of orange carpenter chalk

My dogs seem to go big or go home

·
Super Moderator
5,515 Posts
I currently have a corner of the area rug missing, and a corner of the coffee table chewed on. Oh, and a corner of the baseboard in the living room. I can’t remember who the culprits were on those. Scarlet chewed up one of my slippers a couple of days after we lost Carly, so she got a pass on that one. I don’t recall her ever chewing anything up before. I’m generally pretty good about keeping an eye on puppies. I’m blaming any destruction on my old boyfriend who was supposed to be watching them.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
New $150 pair of shoes. I brought them to the repair shop and they were kinda patched but had a MIlkbone in them when I picked them up.
Close to 1 pound of dark chocolate that required an Sunday afternoon ER visit to save her life just in time.

·
Registered
285 Posts
When I was a kid we had a shepherd/lab mix. This was before the days of crates :) Pup pooped on the carpet in the basement. Dad took her downstairs and put her nose in it and swatted her with a rolled-up newspaper.

The next morning when we got up she had taken dad's glasses off his bedside table, carried them downstairs to the exact spot where she was punished, and chewed them up into tiny pieces. I think the lens were some high tech (for the early 80's) non-scratch plastic. Then she pooped in the same spot.

It was the last time anyone swatted her with a newspaper.... and the last time she pooped in the house.

That dog was awesome.

·
Registered
174 Posts
OMG that’s hilarious!
I really can’t add anything interesting!
Lucky me, I guess! Lex is busy with her toys and has a variety of bones that keep her busy. She can collect the shoes in the living room into a nice pile and slobber on some during the process but she doesn’t chew them.

·
Super Moderator
4,680 Posts
the worse was the wood trim on my couch. I had my then pup tethered to me to keep an eye on him. I was on my computer (perhaps even checking these forums) and my pup was on his big dog pillow behind me. It was all peaceful and quiet and I thought he was sleeping...no, he was whittling down the side of my couch. I still have that couch and it still has the scars.

·
Registered
130 Posts
When I was a kid we had a shepherd/lab mix. This was before the days of crates :) Pup pooped on the carpet in the basement. Dad took her downstairs and put her nose in it and swatted her with a rolled-up newspaper.

The next morning when we got up she had taken dad's glasses off his bedside table, carried them downstairs to the exact spot where she was punished, and chewed them up into tiny pieces. I think the lens were some high tech (for the early 80's) non-scratch plastic. Then she pooped in the same spot.

It was the last time anyone swatted her with a newspaper.... and the last time she pooped in the house.

That dog was awesome.
this reminds me of our old female bulldog. She always slept in our room at night. Well one night my wife and i wanted some alone time without a snorting, burping, farting, bulldog in the background. We didn't think anything of it that night, but we didn't let her back in. The kids rooms were open and she could just go snuggle with them.

i woke up the next morning, opened up our door to see her mug looking up at me with a nice pile of you know what just outside my door. She then turned and walked away into my stepsons room and laid down.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
:LOL: What vengeful dogs!! I didn't know they were capable of plotting revenge like that...scary...

In the three years Rumo has been with us, most of it with no crate, no gate and just a dogbed in the living room, he has destroyed one thing:
1. Ate a corner of my daughter's artwork.

We frantically replaced the paper there, recolored that corner, and it was shown in the district art show.
It was later discovered that she has been eating Cheetos while doing her art, so that made it smell very tasty, I guess, and finally he couldn't resist?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes, the theory says that dogs aren't capable of that type of thought or behavior.

The amazing bit for me was that Betsy leave my room where she slept, go into my parents room to get dad's glasses (which he wore all the time when he was awake) from his nightstand, and take them downstairs.

It must have been an amazing coincidence. Just as likely as a room full of monkeys typing Shakespeare.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Every pup chews. My pup hasn’t chewed to much but I hate to speak to soon, I know it will get worse??

·
Registered
909 Posts
Oh it's nothing. My dog basically destroyed the carpeted apartment (never making that mistake again. Stupid, unsanitary, ugly looking carpets) we were renting resulting in USD1700 damage.

It's nothing.

Nothing.

It's nothing.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Not a GSD, but coming up on three (?) years ago we adopted an obese cat and put him on a wet food diet. Our place isn't big, at least not the kitchen, so we were storing unopened cans of cat food in a bag on the dining room table. It'd been that way for awhile.

One night we went out to dinner, come home and discover cans all over the floor, some chewed open/just bits remaining.

They HAD been unopened. We didn't think Neb'd be able to smell the cat food through sealed cans! (He is part Beagle, more fools us)

We checked his mouth, no cuts, thought, well, surely he didn't EAT any of the cans, though it was difficult to tell with bits everywhere, cleaned up, decried his gold teeth, and went to bed. The next day at work I had a bad feeling - we should get x-rays. Made an appointment and left work. Got to the vet early so took Neb for a little walk - he pooped metal (no blood). X-rays showed metal clumps in the stomach. Vet suggested we try wonder bread to bind around the can fragments and see if he could pass them easier that way. Worked from home the next day and took Neb out hourly. Pooped a bunch of metal until mid-afternoon, then stopped passing it. Great, he's gotten rid of it all. 11pm that night - Neb throws up some chunks of can. So we go to the local smaller e-vet at our end of the city. Still metal in stomach and intestines. They say he'll need surgery, but if we want, we can try high-fibre food until tomorrow. We stop at a 24 hour grocery store to buy canned pumpkin on the way home, feed him, wake up first thing and call our vet - does the bigger e-vet do scopes (smaller one didn't)? Yes, they'll get us an appointment as an emergency.

So we go to the bigger e-vet later that day and meet with the internist. He does x-rays, says, yes, there's still metal in the stomach (none left in intestines) and they don't think at this stage he'll be able to pass it on his own. So we get him scoped. 6 good sized chunks of can came out.

The amazing thing, aside from the cost, was that he had no cuts from mouth to stomach (the vet looked) and never pooped blood. He ate 2-3 cat food tins and not a single cut.

And after that, we found room in the kitchen for the cat food cans! We felt so bad, though every vet and vet tech we talked to over however many visits were as shocked as us. The internal vet was like 'I've seen dogs eat a lot of stuff, but this is the first cans'.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts