German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who has a puppy. The pup is under a year- maybe around 10 months old. He's an unaltered male malinois/border collie mix.

Lucky is an altered female 18 month old GSD. She's around 70 lbs and is really pretty good around other dogs. She loves to play but she likes to play *hard* and doesn't tolerate much bad behavior from other dogs. She loves to chase and wrestle around.

She recently played with a Dalmation and Golden and the Golden kept trying to mount first her and then the Dalmation. She went after the Golden and was successful at earning some respect from him so he then left her alone but he still kept trying to mount the Dalmation. Every time he tried it on the Dalmation, our dog got mad at him and tried to straighten him up. Otherwise, I've never seen her be anything but super playful with other dogs.

So, back to Mr. Puppy I mentioned. My friend would like to introduce them and let them play. She says the dog is aggressive with other males and she'd like to see how he acts around a female dog. Now, as I mentioned, Lucky can hold her own and I've never seen her take the worse end of a dog interaction.

But.

I don't know how I feel about letting her play with another dog (even though he's a puppy) with behavior and socialization issues. I don't want her hurt and I don't want her to hurt the puppy trying to teach him some manners.

Would you let your dog meet another dog in these circumstances? Do you allow your dog to have friends who wear leather jackets and smoke behind the gym or do you insist that your dog's buddies have clean records before you introduce them?

If you do let them play, anything special you do to make sure your dog is safe?

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Re: A friend for Lucky dog? WWD?

IMO it would depend on the behavior issues. As for socialization, all of the pups need it. If you decide to do it I would make sure it is a very controlled meeting.

As for her hurting the dog, I think they go on instict. Unless they are fighting, they know when enough is enough. Of course they will probably stop wrestling, turn around in a circle and start all over again, but it truly might be a good thing for your friends pup, as I said before depending on the behavior problems and the circumstances.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts

Agreed

Brady isn't great with intact males either
Feamles and neutered males he is fine

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Originally Posted By: LuckyDI have a friend who has a puppy. The pup is under a year- maybe around 10 months old. He's an unaltered male malinois/border collie mix.
That's quite a mix! Have them interact on leash at first. Observe, and if and when all is well let them have at it.

·
Registered
625 Posts

Originally Posted By: LuckyD
Would you let your dog meet another dog in these circumstances? Do you allow your dog to have friends who wear leather jackets and smoke behind the gym or do you insist that your dog's buddies have clean records before you introduce them?

If you do let them play, anything special you do to make sure your dog is safe?
Since my dog is the rebel child around here. YES, I let him meet other dogs. Females only at this point. They are not allowed to play but that's because I have strict rules on allowing my working dog to play with dogs outside my own.

I would say go for it just be right there to supervise everything!

Courtney

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the advice.

We're going to go ahead and introduce them. I'm glad to hear the on lead advice, because I probably would have let them meet off lead. Our dog is really reliable off lead but it makes sense to have an easy way to pull them apart if necessary.

I'm still pretty nervous. I guess I should get over that so that it won't make the situation tense for my dog. I just know how quick things can happen and I'd hate it if my dog was hurt just so someone else's dog could get some socialization. OTOH, it would be great if Lucky had a new friend to play with. They live close and it would be easy to get together frequently if they have a good time.

Maybe I'll bring my camera and post some pics of malinois/border collie puppy. He's really cute but as mentioned he's a whopper of a mix
Image uploading. Refresh page to view
with super high energy. Wish us luck!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Yikes--I imagine that dog would be a blur of action!

Be sure to meet on neutral territory. I would recommend walking the dogs together first so they can get comfortable with one another. Have the border x mal's owner give lots of treats for good behavior!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

Our pups met and had no problem. Of course, the puppy is really more like 5 months old than 10 and is just a little duffer! I'd seen his picture but I somehow thought he was older. He was less than half the size of Lucky and he was clearly just a little guy with big attitude.

His hackles were up at first, but he settled really quickly once Auntie Lucky gave him the tag and run business. He was obviously just scared at first. It was Lucky's first doggie tag game in a long time and she had a blast! It was funny to watch her play with the puppy just like she plays with my kids at home.

By the end of the play date, Lucky was begging for some place to sleep and the puppy was beyond tuckered out.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I was really unsure about the intro but we kept them on leash at first until they relaxed a little and they ended up having a great time!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts