German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't know how to deal with this besides being even more forceful and/or stop walking with her and her dog.

I'm taking my dog to a behavioust because she is dog reacatvie to some dogs. I'm working hard.

I walk with my friend and her sheltie. My GSD has never been reactive in front of my friend so she really doesn't know what our issues are. In fact my dog is perfectly behaved as I keep her below her thresehold. Her dog on the other hand is becoming more reactive.

She walks him on a retractable leash and she lets him go up to every single dog that we come accross. Doesn't ask the owner just releases the leash. On every single walk we have been on he has lunged and charged other dogs. She says he is just being friendly, I say his intent is not to make friends. The other dog always backs down and they sniff and go. I always tell her that if a dog came up to mine in such a manner that my dog would not back down and there would be a possibility that her dog would be hurt.

She also allows her dog to approach people. Sometimes he barks at them, sometimes he charges towards them. Not pretty.

Last night a jogger passed us and her dog's extendable leash was not locked. The dog went after the jogger. Not sure if he bit her or just bumped her with his nose. She was not happy. The jogger jumped out of the way and I thought she had become tangeled in the leash, but she managed to jump over that.

Later he went after a small dog being walked by a young girl. The girl was terrified and she is saying "oh, he means no harm".

When we pass dogs and people I intentionaly keep my dog away from both. I don't want anyone accussing the GSD of nipping at them when in fact it is the sheltie.

Dakota and this dog gets along well and I believe that walking together will help her. I'm also concerned that she sees the sheltie go after other dogs and this may encourage her. Is that possible?

·
Registered
954 Posts
I believe so yes!!!!!!

Nellie is my 2.5 yr old female GSD. She is not dog or people reactive at all. Enter stage left Ace... My rescue. We got him at 5 months and he came with a whole lot of problems. He is slighty dog reactive. Anyway.... we were walking a while back and passed a yard that had two small dogs in it. Nellie has walked by these dogs 1,000 times and just looks at them but keeps walking. Ace started running the fence line after the little dogs and Nellie joined in. SHE WOULD HAVE NEVER DONE THAT IF ACE WASN'T THERE TO START IT! I can promise you that.

***I do have to add though... I was one person with two dogs. If there was two of us I may have been able to keep better control of Nellie.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Monkey see monkey do, same for dogs at least thats what I think. I don't like those leashes. Good thing I won't be running into your friend on a walk, sounds like a definate accident waiting to happen. I like my dogs to ignore people & animals when we go out. If I was the jogger I would have had a lot to say. I agree with you about not wanting my dog to get blamed for something he/she didn't do. I would never forgive myself if I allowed something to happen. It's so hard to "suggest" to someone they should do something differently. Like my trainer says "you don't know what could happen". Good luck.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The jogger was really good about it - after the initial "What the.." comment she just continued her jog. I would not have been so quiet. I really wished she would have been very vocal, then my friend would get it.

My friend truly does not get it. I want to help her, but I don't want to be associated with her and her charging dog. I can hear people now - here comes that sheltie and look a GSD too - run.

I don't think I can do much more to help her. I don't want to ruin a friendship or create hard feelings, and it is not my responsiblity to fix her dog, although I would love to see that happen.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Monkey see monkey do, same for dogs at least thats what I think. I don't like those leashes.
So you mean doggy see doggy-doo? Wait that doesn't sound right. :crazy:

More seriously. Your friend is putting her dog and your dog at risk, especially if your dog is prone to being dog reactive anyways. What happens if the sheltie meets with a bigger dog who doesn't like the approach? My older dog is dog reactive he mostly ignores but when he was younger and we would walk him there were some people who would simply let their dogs go without asking if it was ok to approach him. I would take great pains to keep him focused on me but there was one time where a person let their dog off the leash and Cody and I were jogging, this other dog came from behind I never heard him but Cody did, he bit the dog square on the snout and the owner was upset with me when my dog was on a leash.

Cody is now retired from jogging so I'm often alone, there are many times when off leash and long leash dogs have charged at me or jumped up at me. It can be unnerving when a large dog rushes at you whether the dog is nice isn't the issue.

Bottom line her is it's just a matter of time before her dog gets hurt.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'd start walking solo if I were you! If your friend asks why, I'd be honest and tell her it's because she's allowing her dog to run amuck, is an accident waiting to happen, and you don't want your dog learning bad behavior from her out of control dog. If she doesn't ask, I wouldn't bring it up but I would definitely stop walking with her.

·
Registered
235 Posts
This to me is another example of what we discuss here often...that GSD owners are more responsible than some other owners and we really try to make our dogs good citizens. That sheltie is allowed to do things because he is smaller and if a GSD did it people would be on the phone to their lawyer.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Poor dog walking etiquitte...simple but to the point. I use a retractable leash w/ Mia. We walk to the park (1/2 mile) and she is retracted at heel...when we get to the park, I give her more feet BUT if we see another walker or a dog she goes back to heel. Sometimes I make her sit and look at me because she used to be very reactive. Can you tell your friend about doggie manners? If she disagrees, fine, but gently tell her dog walking together is too stressful.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This to me is another example of what we discuss here often...that GSD owners are more responsible than some other owners and we really try to make our dogs good citizens. That sheltie is allowed to do things because he is smaller and if a GSD did it people would be on the phone to their lawyer.
I'm very aware of this and beside wanting a wonderful compainion I also want to promote the breed as good citizens.

I'm very aware of what dogs are around and if people are coming up for a "greeting". I will excuse myself and work at a greater distance and use this as a training opportunity. I've have had people remove their leashes because they see my GSD and the Sheltie behaving nicely together, assuming that both dogs are fine with others. I've just tell them to leash the dog.

I'm going to stop walking with her. Yes it bothers me because she is in denial and her dog behaves so badly (that I can deal with), but I do not want my dog thinking that this behaviour is acceptable and participate too. So far we have been very good at keeping her below threshold. I considered that a big plus, because she was witnessing a dog going wild and she was exercising self control.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You probably can't change her habits but I wouldn't walk with such a person. I have one of those super long retractable leashes that I walk Lou with just so she gets a lot more exercise on our walks, it's a small mountain town so not many people on the street all at once. One thing I ALWAYS do though is retract and lock whenever a person or dog comes close. If it's on a narrow sidewalk I lock it so she is heeled right by my side and I have complete control of her. She is not very reactive most the time and when she does react it's always in a friendly manner. She will bark at other dogs passing by, just a friendly "want to say hi" bark and I always ask the other people if it's okay if they get close if I see them stopping in a friendly way to talk. Most the people are the same and keep their dog back until we both agree it's okay.

Your friend is showing really irresponsible behavior and sooner or later someone is going to get hurt, be it her dog, another or a person!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
as both an occasional jogger AND now a GSD owner I am appalled by her behavior. If I had been the jogger it would not have been pretty, this sort of thing has happened before and I LOSE it! And because of that very thing I am working sooooo hard to work with my puppy to never get in front of me and stay behind me or right at my side. I am working sometimes on a 2 foot lead. Makes me angry....

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
I don't understand why you are walking with this person and her dog.
So my answer is what you can do about it is quit walking with her & her dog.
Ultimately, the actions you control are your own.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
As far as this Sheltie encouraging behaviors in your dog, my vote is most definitely yes. I say this as I have had my Sheltie mix, Riley, for over a year and a half now and she has lived with cats, slept on the same bed with cats, etc., with absolutely no desire to chase them prior to my getting Koda, my GSD. Koda likes to chase the cats that we have in the house, he means them no harm, but he chases them. Since Riley has seen this behavior, she too chases the cats when she sees him do it. As I said, she didn't do this prior to my acquiring Koda, she would even sleep on the bed next to a cat! This obviously says that she picked up this behavior from him. That means it definitely sounds as if your GSD could pick up this behavior from this other dog. If nothing else, this girl sounds extremely irresponsible and I wouldn't want to associate with her regardless, but that's just me!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't understand why you are walking with this person and her dog.
So my answer is what you can do about it is quit walking with her & her dog.
Ultimately, the actions you control are your own.

In the beginning when she first got her dog, he did not behave this way. Then he he started to behave this way I would offer training suggestions. Now he is increasing his behaviour and instead of it happening once in a few weeks to happening everytime we walk over the last three walks, and we do not walk daily.

I would like to help her, but any further walks with her will be by myself, without my dog.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
"Then he he started to behave this way I would offer training suggestions. Now he is increasing his behaviour and instead of it happening once in a few weeks to happening everytime we walk over the last three walks, and we do not walk daily.

I would like to help her, but any further walks with her will be by myself, without my dog. "

A couple of thoughts here:
1. Whether or not through any fault of your own, it sounds as though your help is not being effective.
2. Does she want your help?

·
Registered
116 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I took my male GSD Lycan for a walk on the local trails with a friend of mine and her dog. Her dog is some kind of a terrier mix. Anyway, I have always gone out of my way to oversocialize My dogs Lycan has never had any agression to humans, other dogs, cats or anything up to this point. I would trust him with the smallest baby. But while we were walking we were approached by a lady with a sheltie and the dog ran up and shoved its face in the terriers face. My friends terrier immediately went on the agressive, hair up, growling etc... What really shocked me is that Lycan jumped in to back her up, his hair was up, he was growling really low. I immediately redirected him and helped diffuse the situation, BUT to me this shows the pack mentality and that another dog can influence your dog. Even the most laid back and well trained dog can be influenced by the situation.

Personally I would stop walking my dog with this dog, since your dog already has reactive issues this is not going to be helpfull. If you want the 2 dogs to stay friendly maybe make some playdates at your house or hers but I would deffinately not want to take my dog out in public with her's as long as her dog is reacting like this and she blindly thinks its ok.....

Just my 2 cents worth.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts