German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my dogs started going nuts in the house looking out at our deck so I took a look to see what all the commotion as about. There was a fox on the deck with what looks like to have mange!! He was missing fur throughout his whole tail and had miss patches of hair! How contagious is mange I haven't let my dog out since i seen the fox! It's - 30 degrees Celsius right now could the mites survive on my deck if there is any?? Not sure what to do I don't want my dogs to catch this! Any help or info wold be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Marc

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Good question. I have squirrels in my yard a couple that have practically hairless tails (assuming it's mange). I have never heard of a method to eliminate this risk for your pets. Mange and Parvo in our wild wolf population here are responsible for huge losses in their litter's first year of life.

I don't think cold temps kill the bugs or shed eggs that cause mange.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Hi my dogs started going nuts in the house looking out at our deck so I took a look to see what all the commotion as about. There was a fox on the deck with what looks like to have mange!! He was missing fur throughout his whole tail and had miss patches of hair! How contagious is mange I haven't let my dog out since i seen the fox! It's - 30 degrees Celsius right now could the mites survive on my deck if there is any?? Not sure what to do I don't want my dogs to catch this! Any help or info wold be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Marc
Marc - I just reread your post. I would be concerned about a fox on my deck in the middle of the day in close proximity to dogs inside going nuts. Especially one that looks ill. Hang on and don't let them out until you find out more about rabid animal behavior and are sure that fox is long gone from your area.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Marc - I just reread your post. I would be concerned about a fox on my deck in the middle of the day in close proximity to dogs inside going nuts. Especially one that looks ill. Hang on and don't let them out until you find out more about rabid animal behavior and are sure that fox is long gone from your area.
I was thinking the same thing. Any animal that would come up to your house with large dogs, not specifically looking for food is not safe.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
It it were me, I would give the local Fish & Game in your area a quick call. They will ask you some questions about what you observed, body condition etc and make a recommendation. They might want to come out and see if they can track it if it's still hanging around.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It it were me, I would give the local Fish & Game in your area a quick call. They will ask you some questions about what you observed, body condition etc and make a recommendation. They might want to come out and see if they can track it if it's still hanging around.
thanks I will call

thank you the responces
Marc

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Some may remember the post here about a year ago from a woman who's dog had caught and killed what the owner thought was a sick coon. Really hate to post this reminder but rabies is what it is and the way her scenario played out caught her totally off guard. I'll try to find the old thread and post a link here.

She picked up the dead animal and disposed of it in the trash. She took her dogs in and gave them a bath. The dogs were vaccinated against rabies.

Because a micro droplet of water in the bathing process could have transfered saliva carrying the virus from her dog's mouth to her mouth, eyes or nose in the dog washing process - she had to get the rabies shots as a precaution..... that caught a lot of us off guard.

I don't mean to freak you out but just make a call. Better safe than sorry. It may be that there is a local fox in your area that people have been feeding and it's become less fearful - if that's the case - your local Fish & Game will probably be aware of the situation from previous reports - in any case, they're well trained and can help.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Some all-in-one HW prevention products also protect against scabies (Advantage Multi and Revolution, for example). You might have a conversation with your vet about whether keeping your dog on one of those is appropriate for your climate, if wildlife is bringing parasites into your yard.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So someone saw a fox one time and are concerned! How many times has the fox been there where he was not noticed?

Foxes are scavengers and will scavenge wolf kills, Foxes learn that near homes with dogs there is food and they seek out this easy meal.

This behavior is normal for foxes.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi everyone thank you all for your knowledge! I attempt to contact the MNR to get some info but had no results! I then contact my vet and she said the chances of my dogs contracting mange is very low unless they are in direct contact! She also said the risk is minimal as long as my dogs are not immune deficient! I will be keeping a eye out for this fox and not going to leave my dogs unsupervised for the next while on our property as a precaution to keep my dogs safe. I live in the country and seen various animals in the past but never seen one that looked in the condition this one did!!

thanks again
Marc

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It just showed up on my deck again!!!:mad:
I ran out chased it and it stopped for a few seconds and stared at me then ran off!

If this become a recurring issue I will have to shoot it not that I want to just want to keep my dog safe!

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Karma - I suggested he make the phone call because of the condition of the fox. I also suggested it may be one that has become habituated to the area.

I will never brush off the sudden appearance of a wild animal in my yard that appears to be in poor condition. This from direct experience and recommendations from Fish & Game to all. They want to be called. This is the primary way that they locate and confirm rabid animal data in our area. We normally get 4 or 5 per year in our county and they are discovered thru interaction with pets.

A fox showing up on the deck in the middle of the day with multiple dogs going nuts inside the house is normal? Not where I live.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Karma - I suggested he make the phone call because of the condition of the fox. I also suggested it may be one that has become habituated to the area.

I will never brush off the sudden appearance of a wild animal in my yard that appears to be in poor condition. This from direct experience and recommendations from Fish & Game to all. They want to be called. This is the primary way that they locate and confirm rabid animal data in our area. We normally get 4 or 5 per year in our county and they are discovered thru interaction with pets.

A fox showing up on the deck in the middle of the day with multiple dogs going nuts inside the house is normal? Not where I live.
Hi stonevintage I will be contacting the proper authorities on Tuesday no one is answering when called so I suspect they are closed for the long weekend!
I the mean time my dogs will be under strict supervision until we know it safe for them to run our acreage!
I am not taking any chances just showing up twice on my deck doesn't seen normal

thanks again for your advice it's well appreciated
Marc

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Foxes that are very sick with mange do act weird and gand around houses. My father recently had one doing that for the same reason. So not necessarily rabid.

But if fish and game can't do anything, shooting it might be more humane than letting it suffer with mange and will prevent your dogs coming into contact with it.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Foxes that are very sick with mange do act weird and gand around houses. My father recently had one doing that for the same reason. So not necessarily rabid.

But if fish and game can't do anything, shooting it might be more humane than letting it suffer with mange and will prevent your dogs coming into contact with it.
I hate to shoot it, it will break my heart but if it has to be done then I gotta do it
\One thing about being a animal lover it's not a easy thing to swallow

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
The setting of your home probably draws wildlife, especially if you are talking acres and any wooded land near by. Just a couple weeks ago I seen a coyote playing in the middle of a field, not acting sick but acting playful.

Foxes are slightly different, they are mainly nocturnal but can be out and about during the day.

Although primarily nocturnal (active at night), fox are often seen in suburban or urban areas during the day. Fox are also fairly transient animals and frequently move from place to place. Fox present no danger to humans unless they are rabid, which is rare, or if they are being captured or handled.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
This fox may just be desperate for survival. It could just be very sick, starving. May be bottom of the pack or cast out.

How about trying a humane trap, baited for the poor starving creature. Then can turn over to wildlife rescue who can assess the animal.

You can rent traps.

Incidentally, my dog once caught a coyote (while on a 6ft. leash), he tumbled around with it and dragged it out of the tall grass on its back by the throat...I jerked the leash (knee jerk reaction), G let go and the coyote flipped over and hobbled off slowly...I thought for sure this thing had mange, it was so ratty looking.

No issues

1 - 20 of 47 Posts