German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between IPO and Schutzhund if any? I have heard/read that Schutzhund is for GSDS and IPO is for all breeds. I have heard/read that Schutzhund was changed to IPO because of the image of teaching a dog to bite, I have heard/read they are one in the same. Can anyone answer correctly? Or is it a mishmash of all the info?

I heard/read that we no longer have a word to send them to bite. We had protection trained dogs when I was little and my adult family used Fass! I heard that was removed from IPO?

I heard (not read) that they were dropping the focused heel as a points determination? I hope not, we busted our butts to get that right lol. In any event I find it valuable for when I want focus as opposed to a regular loose lead heel. I was originally a non believer thinking the dog looked like he was in danger of hitting a pole..but I now realize the point is not to take walks like that, but to be able to get focus for periods of obedience. I'd hate to see that not emphasized anymore.

And from a human nature standpoint I see all of the things I deal with in IDPA (international defensive pistol association).So many parallels. It originated as a way for police to practice real life scenarios with the skills they are SUPPOSE to already have in order to be an LEO. A proving ground. Slowly it evolved into civilian past time, became flashy sport. Now people who do IDPA can't necessarily do real life stuff and are more focused on points for finesse "the board" making and changing rules, little nuances, people arguing over the merits of this that and the other thing. Now most real life LEOs and people who see action roll their eyes at the flashy technique and say how real life unsound it is and how people winning trophies in IDPA would last 10 seconds in a shoot house for real. So now IDPA is a thing that mostly civvies do for sport. The LEOs I shoot with that do show up take point deductions because they refuse to do something unsound in the name of flash or finesse.

The Paradox where real life practice becomes sport becomes something not real life practical anymore.

Just interesting is all.

·
Registered
856 Posts
From my basic understanding, Schutzhund developed into IPO for international competition reasons (it literally translates into "Internationale Prüfungs-Ordnung" AKA International Working Tests). Generally speaking, all working dogs will have an IPO title after the conformation to a single rule base. There's really no difference, other than the fact that most dogs prior to 2004 will be Schutzhund titled, whereas dogs shortly after will be IPO titled.

Any language is permitted for training, considering that the competition is open internationally. I think you could even use Clingon if you wanted.

Now, if you want to discuss how the sport has been modified time and time again to make it easier title, that will bring about popcorn worthy responses.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it is not like there is a Schutzhund title with certain acronyms as opposed to an IPO title that has certain acronyms? Same judges, etc. I honestly do get conflicting info on this.

I am sensitive to the dumbing down theory. Sure it keeps participation numbers (and financial flow) coming in..but at what true cost? The irony is it eventually devalues the title. This dog is expensive because both Sire and Dam have such and such...yes, but anyone can get such and such these days. Not saying IPO is all the way there, as I am new to it. Just...typically with these things.

At a recent discussion regarding the further modifications in IDPA pistol competition rules I said , let's just drop the D for Defensive and call it IPA. Because that is a beer. And beer is good. Some scenarios call for you to move while shooting. So gamers literally do this ridiculous baby steps thing so they are "moving" and shooting. So "the board" after hearing much of b-ing over this decided that "moving" was too vague of a thing for the Safety Officer (who also gives out penalties) to discern. So you are no longer allowed to give penalties for not moving when it is in the description. So now the stage description of the scenario reads something like this " Engage targets T1 thru T3 while on the move...OR NOT...then proceed to cover" With the OR NOT dripping with sarcasm lol And they now require little wooden sticks on the ground for the shooter to step on so that he can "feel" if he is in cover or not. Because that is realistic.

^It is stuff like THAT, jumping through hoops to make sure everyone has a chance and does not cry foul, even if they are not up to snuff, that makes a real world test evolve into everyone gets a trophy. Or at least a very good chance of getting a trophy.

Anyway, now that I have been hanging around I see parallels in IPO. On a business trip I visited one club and an IPO 1 dog was a rocket on the field, but shy off of it. Shy?

It's a known phenomenon. Almost every game or sport in history was initially a test/outlet of the already skilled. Until it evolves and becomes an elite sport.

Just looking for open discussion.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
They don't want a command like attack, they want it to be a release kind of thing. So you can say, go or ok. They're probably going to go anyway after they've done the exercise, so that's just an appearance concern, like a lot of things, so if you have a trained command like that, I don't think not using it in a trial will be very confusing for the dog. Its not focused heeling, its the rigid, robot like heeling they want to get away from. They want to emphasize more of a natural gait without the extreme upward head position.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They don't want a command like attack, they want it to be a release kind of thing. So you can say, go or ok. They're probably going to go anyway after they've done the exercise, so that's just an appearance concern, like a lot of things, so if you have a trained command like that, I don't think not using it in a trial will be very confusing for the dog. Its not focused heeling, its the rigid, robot like heeling they want to get away from. They want to emphasize more of a natural gait without the extreme upward head position.
So you are allowed to say something to release them, on say...the long bite? I noticed in the blind it seems to be the helper who initiates the bite. Which would make sense in ways.

I can understand the rigid heel not being great. If you have time, any video example of what they are looking for would be great.

·
Registered
31,807 Posts
You are required to give a Go command on the escape. You do on the long bite. But as soon as you release their collar, they are going anyways.

No command on the attack out of the transport.

And a dog biting in the blind will lose you a ton of points if not a DQ. That's a bark and told. The helper is giving bites as a reward for barkinb.

·
Registered
856 Posts
So it is not like there is a Schutzhund title with certain acronyms as opposed to an IPO title that has certain acronyms? Same judges, etc. I honestly do get conflicting info on this.

Anyway, now that I have been hanging around I see parallels in IPO. On a business trip I visited one club and an IPO 1 dog was a rocket on the field, but shy off of it. Shy?

It's a known phenomenon. Almost every game or sport in history was initially a test/outlet of the already skilled. Until it evolves and becomes an elite sport.

Just looking for open discussion.
All SchH titles are equivalent to the IPO title 1=1, 2=2, 3=3, and the BH is still the same title. Which acronyms are you referring to? Certain countries do have their own variation, and it is very different. ZVV, for example, is quite different from IPO. Having a male title to ZVV 3 is a huge deal, and an even bigger deal for a female. But the ZVV is not FCI recognized and therefore not accepted by the WUSV. So sometimes you'll see a dog with both IPO and ZVV titles, as they were likely titled over in Czech Republic before titling in IPO to meet SV breeding standards.

As for a dog being shy off the field but a total rocket on... what does shy mean, exactly? People might call Ryka shy, when in reality she's aloof. Doesn't care for strangers, but does love people, just not in the same way a Golden does.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All SchH titles are equivalent to the IPO title 1=1, 2=2, 3=3, and the BH is still the same title. Which acronyms are you referring to? Certain countries do have their own variation, and it is very different. ZVV, for example, is quite different from IPO. Having a male title to ZVV 3 is a huge deal, and an even bigger deal for a female. But the ZVV is not FCI recognized and therefore not accepted by the WUSV. So sometimes you'll see a dog with both IPO and ZVV titles, as they were likely titled over in Czech Republic before titling in IPO to meet SV breeding standards.

As for a dog being shy off the field but a total rocket on... what does shy mean, exactly? People might call Ryka shy, when in reality she's aloof. Doesn't care for strangers, but does love people, just not in the same way a Golden does.
Shy meaning skittish. Saw someone approach them and dog tucked behind owner and was doing that scan for a way out look.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh and thanks for the explanation of the acronyms! I meant like I am use to seeing, historically SCHI II or III. Will you still see those or will it all be IPO now? Did the name Schutzhund change to IPO in other words?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yes "robot like", "extreme upward head position". I wonder how this got popular? Was it the Mals version of focused heeling?

At first, I thought it was cool. But the more I watched, the more it seemed robotic.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
So you are allowed to say something to release them, on say...the long bite? I noticed in the blind it seems to be the helper who initiates the bite. Which would make sense in ways.

I can understand the rigid heel not being great. If you have time, any video example of what they are looking for would be great.
Any bite in the blind is training, shaping the barking or drawing him in maybe, generally rewarding something. There's no bites in the blind in the trial. If your dog likes to bite, he's going to go without you saying anything. You're going to need to concentrate on keeping him in a sit more then any release word, Lol.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
I'll use this dog, because if I remember right in his critique in the Nationals, the judge mentioned the nice picture and attitude with his handler, and it fits in with the overall Wolfstraum theme currently. It was even in a football stadium. Its just the free movement, not halting or stilted.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
Oh and thanks for the explanation of the acronyms! I meant like I am use to seeing, historically SCHI II or III. Will you still see those or will it all be IPO now? Did the name Schutzhund change to IPO in other words?
Yes, basically a more politically appropriate sounding name. There were suggestions for yet another change but I am not sure what is happening with that. I haven't been to my old IPO club for a year now.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/468873-why-ipo-america.html

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
SchH and IPO were both around for a long time. IPO was the all breed sport under the guidance of the FCI and SchH the breed test for the GSD under the guidance of the SV though done by many of the working breeds. Something most people don't know or recall is that the SchH1 was the actual breed test and the SchH3 was pretty much always (at least in modern times) the competition level. Dogs that had a SchH1 were breed worthy and people didn't look at it as "only" a SchH1. Anyhow, the rules were not exactly the same until they started to converge about the time I did Vala's SchH1 (mid to late 2000's). Before that there were some definite differences and even more before 1992 (when they changed the long bite and brought in the padded stick). Many dogs used to be SchH3 IPO3. In 2012 SchH was eliminated to, supposedly, make things easier, but more so to appease the nanny state, green party and fear mongers since schutzhund means "protection dog". Over time they had also removed any words that meant something "negative" (in their minds) like packen on the long bite.

Next year it will become IGP with some rules changes to make things easier at the IGP1 level and to make the jump from 1-2-3 levels not so daunting to people. The FCI wants to make it more inclusive to attract more people. IMO some of the rule changes at the 1 level were changed for stupid reasons and bad trainers (if a dog can do the retrieve over the jump and a recall over the wall, they can do a retrieve over the wall), but it is what it is.

IMO there are still some testing aspects to the current sport. There are a lot of dogs that still can't title and, no, most really good trainers aren't going to work weak dogs so there is some testing. Unfortunately the protection phase where the real test always was is not like it was and people can no longer look at titles and scores alone to judge the quality of the dogs.

From what I have heard they are going to be looking for more natural heeling that shows a relationship with the handler and not their armpit. :) A correct heeling dog that shows focus and power is still going to be wanted.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
IMO there are still some testing aspects to the current sport. There are a lot of dogs that still can't title and, no, most really good trainers aren't going to work weak dogs so there is some testing. Unfortunately the protection phase where the real test always was is not like it was and people can no longer look at titles and scores alone to judge the quality of the dogs.
But could you ever really look at titles and scores alone to judge the actual quality of dogs? Listening to people who've been around a long time talk about the differences in dogs of yesteryear, not in comparison to now, but to each other, it doesn't sound any different from now. This Sch3 dog wasn't the same as that Sch3 dog, right? So same as now, this dog ends up with these points and so does that dog, for different reasons.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
For the most part, you could at least trust that the dogs were tested because the old SchH was a test of the dog. The scores might have been off a bit, but you knew the dogs had been titled and tested. Now? Not so much.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'm sorry. I seem to have drooled all over my keyboard. Was the lady short or the dog huge?
LOL, yes the handler is on the shorter side, and Jagr is a nice sized dog, but not oversized. They are a very sharp team together.

Reactions: Genalis_mom

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Lisa for that explanation. Lots of good stuff here, thanks all.

A relationship with an armpit...that made me lol I keep the tug under my armpit, but he looks at me not the armpit. Once I dropped my resistance to wearing sunglasses. I hate BRIGHT LIGHT BRIGHT LIGHT. Once I realized we don't have to do that eye contact for everything, and that the patterns don't take hours, I gave in and lost the shades. Worked. Sometimes I listen....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts