German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I I've a few unrelated questions so I'm going to just lump them together and hope for some responses...

Zeeva can get out of her crate. We are planning in case we move to air transport the dogs and I've this nightmare of her getting hurt, stressed or dying en rout. She isn't good in cars either. Last time she kept jumping on my steering wheel...has anyone transported a nervy dog via plane before? Are tranquilizer a or Benadryl a good option (will also consult my vet regarding this). I read this horror story of a turbulent flight and the dog dying en rout from stress...I see that as Zeeva future and I dunno what's better a four day trip of stress in a car or a 4 hour flight in a plane?

Zeeva and I play fetch and tug with the same toy. Is this ok? She is good at 'drop it' with her tug/fetch toy but I can't get her to drop treats. I don't think she'd drop a small dog if we were ever in that situation. How can I solidify her drop it?

What times do you feed your dogs? I feed between 7 and 9am and then again between 6 and 7. But I've to let them out for a potty break at 4 or 5 and yes wondering if feeding them earlier is a good option? So they can go potty before bed. But then their night time gap for food gets long and Zeeva gets destructive...any suggestions?

Thanks guys! Always c:

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Yes - talk to the vet about sedation

Why does she need to drop treats?

I feed sometime in the morning and sometime in the evening. Depends on when I have to leave the house, and when I get back at night. On very early days for travel out of state, I'll feed at 6am and maybe again at midnight. They get used to it. Gut doesn't anticipate meals.

·
Registered
219 Posts
yes a vet will usually give a sedative for a flight if you ask for it.
I play fetch and tug with the same toy and I have never had a problem with it. Not sure why that would be a bad thing to do. Lily has a good "drop it" response but I am not sure if I gave her a treat and told her to drop it she would. I think it would be confusing to her if I gave her a treat then told her she couldnt have it.
I got Lily to learn "drop it" just by playing fetch with her and when she would hold on to the toy I would tell her drop it and give lots of praise when she did.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
1. plane trip - although I often say not to fear, this is a fear for me too. Our old breeder often transported dogs across country and nothing happened. Hopefully your vet can help you with medications.
2. We fetch and tug with the same toy, sometimes it falls apart. As for dropping a treat, I assume you want her to drop anything - is there another high value treat you can practice with, like a bone? I watched our local police practice some drills with their K9, their K9 would not let go from biting the bad person with the bite sleeve, so the trainer just lifted the dog up with the collar until the dog let go.
3. I feed 6am-6:30am and then 5pm-6pm. Not sure what you mean by night time gap, but we always give Molly a small treat after her walk about 9pm, mostly so she won't throw up bile in the a.m.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
I would try the sedation once ahead of the actual travel to be sure the dog handles it well if that is the route you decide to go. Some dogs may 'fight it' so it isn't effective. And other dogs may go to lala land far deeper than you want. See how long it works and if there are any side effects afterwards.
Even though we don't want to sedate, I'd rather see how my dog reacts before putting them on a flight where I have no contact/control.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I thought I read/heard that most airlines won't ship a sedated dog? A sedated dog can't keep their balance, won't be able to tell if the dog is really in distress, can't adjust as well to the altitude/pressure changes. I personally would not do it.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
i have never had a dog that took a flight so i cant help with this. if you decide to drive, you might consider a strong dog barrier and keep ziva in the back. also google pet friendly hotels that will be on route during your drive.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Many airlines won't accept sedated dogs for the reasons Lies mentioned. There is a higher correlation of death during flight for sedated dogs than non-sedated dogs. The body has to adjust blood pressure and other controls as the air pressure changes, and sedation interferes with these body functions.

Check with the airline you plan on using. They may require a Vet certificate that declares your dog healthy, NOT sedated, and fit for flight.

I would choose a four hour stressful flight over a four day stressful road trip - but you could slightly sedate Zeeva for the road trip without any of the dangers that sedating for flight would bring.

I feed in the morning before I leave for work, between 6 and 7 am, and in the evening when I get home, between 5:30 and 9:00. Or don't feed them. Or feed them in the middle of the day if I'm home and that works better for me. I think it is important to vary the routine some so they don't get overly stressed if for some reason you can't keep to your regular schedule.

If Zeeva gets destructive in the evening if you feed early, try a little snack of something.

You can play fetch and tug with the same toy. I think it is a great way to reward a dog for bringing something back to you. Instead of taking it away, you start a new game!

Get her to drop a treat for something even better! Though not fair to give her something, and then ask her to drop it. I would work on leaving treats where she can find them, and if she picks it up, THEN you tell her to drop it. Teach her to trade for something better.

·
Registered
701 Posts
My dog enjoys fetch/tug more than anything, I would think you want your dog to "fetch" the tug, bring it back to you, builds confidence and the bond between; and is much more fun than standing there waiting for your dog to drop the item in question.

He also gets the morning bile pukes, so I have taken a time at night to do some low-key training, clicker games and impulse control, or crate games.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts