German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am posting this in the gerneral section as I am going to ask a couple of questions and did not see the point in starting multiple threads.

1. Reno's hips have started making popping noises. Kinda like when we pop a knuckle. The vet during his last checkup had said that she could feel them popping some when she rotated them. I spoke with my breeder (not the place I got him from) and they suggested putting him on senior food and giving him a glucosamine supplement. Then get x-rays when he gets a little older. Right now he is 7.5 months. What do you all think of this?

2. As some of you know Kahn passed yesterday. I have been feeding him Orijen LB Puppy. I am curious what the shelf life is for the food as I bought a few bags of it the last time I went to the feed store. If I put Reno on the senior food I will have no use for it, until I purchase another pup which may not be for a few months.

3. Has anyone seen a dog have an allergic reaction to insulation? The vets say everything that points to Kahn's death was a severe allergic reaction. I have searched my entire house for somthing out of place or somthing he could have gotten into. The only thing I found was a piece of insulation that was installed in my basement was on the floor, but there have been pieces yanked out before by my older dogs that I know he had been around. But I am curious if anyone had any expierence with that.

4. I still would like to be active in my Schutzhund club and since I cannot work Reno I was thinking about becoming a bitework helper. I know they give seminars and such somtimes in different places but I am not sure what the steps are for becoming one.

:help:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I am posting this in the gerneral section as I am going to ask a couple of questions and did not see the point in starting multiple threads.

1. Reno's hips have started making popping noises. Kinda like when we pop a knuckle. The vet during his last checkup had said that she could feel them popping some when she rotated them. I spoke with my breeder (not the place I got him from) and they suggested putting him on senior food and giving him a glucosamine supplement. Then get x-rays when he gets a little older. Right now he is 7.5 months. What do you all think of this?

2. As some of you know Kahn passed yesterday. I have been feeding him Orijen LB Puppy. I am curious what the shelf life is for the food as I bought a few bags of it the last time I went to the feed store. If I put Reno on the senior food I will have no use for it, until I purchase another pup which may not be for a few months.

3. Has anyone seen a dog have an allergic reaction to insulation? The vets say everything that points to Kahn's death was a severe allergic reaction. I have searched my entire house for somthing out of place or somthing he could have gotten into. The only thing I found was a piece of insulation that was installed in my basement was on the floor, but there have been pieces yanked out before by my older dogs that I know he had been around. But I am curious if anyone had any expierence with that.

:help:

Thanks in advance.
I dont think it's ok to put a puppy on Adult Senior Dog food but I could be wrong. Why do you want to get another puppy so soon? Maybe you should wait until Reno is a little bit older, like a year or so, that way he is completely trained and all of his shots are done that way you aren't paying for 2 puppies at the same time. As you know they can become very expensive.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think it's ok to put a puppy on Adult Senior Dog food but I could be wrong. Why do you want to get another puppy so soon? Maybe you should wait until Reno is a little bit older, like a year or so, that way he is completely trained and all of his shots are done that way you aren't paying for 2 puppies at the same time. As you know they can become very expensive.
I probobly will not be purchasing another pup until he is around a year so. I may have phrased that wrong and caused the confusion. I mainly wanted to know what the shelf life of the food is if I do not use it.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I think a year is good, I would prefer 1-2 years to add another but we are all different. I'm not sure about the shelf life though, maybe a couple months like 2-4? :confused:

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
For shelf life on the food, probably the best thing to do is to contact Champion Pet Foods (the makers of Orijen) and ask them. Though if it were me I wouldn't move Reno to a senior food. I'd keep feeding him the Orijen as it is one of the best foods out there, and one of the few "puppy" foods that is actually appropriate for growing large breed puppies.

On the hips, if there is suspected problems I would not wait to do x-rays. Do them now. He is old enough that any joint issues that will likely lead to future problems will be evident if they exist. If there isn't a problem, you are saved a lot of worry. If there is, the sooner you know what it is and can start doing something about it, the better the long term outcome.

It does sound like Kahn suffered an allergic reaction. Being allergic to insulation I don't know. I guess it's possible to be allergic to anything, but fiberglass insulation being the culprit is very unlikely.

On helperwork, this is something for you to discuss with your club. Learning the mechanics and rules is certainly something you can do. Learning how to read dogs and respond correctly to them, and understand the different drives needed and how to manipulate them takes years and years of study and time spent working dogs. But if your club is willing to teach, its never to early to start learning.

·
Super Moderator
32,031 Posts
1. I would personally continue the Orijen LBP food rather than switch to a senior food. I think it's one of teh best foods out there right now, and I don't see what you'd gain by switching him off it to something not as high quality. If you're concerned about his hips, adding a glucosamine supplement is not a bad idea. Many people also supplement with Ester-C.

2. If you're sure you're not going to use it any time soon (and even if you do decide to follow the breeder's advice about changing his food, a couple more weeks on the Orijen shouldn't make a big difference so why not just finish the bag first?), it it were me, I'd contact Orijen and ask them about the shelf life. There should be some lot or batch numbers on the bag that you can provide to them.

3. I thought it sounded like an allergic reaction to something too, I hope you get some answers - it sounds like you really couldn't have done any more for your little guy than you did. :( I don't know anything about a reaction to insulation, but I know my dogs have gotten small pieces before too, and it has never been a problem.

ETA: Posted at the same time as Chris!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chris- I do believe they would help to teach me some of the things I needed to learn. I have been reading everything and watching everything I can get my hands on to learn about the behaviors and reading the dogs. I will contact them and ask though.

CM- I will be finishing off the current bag of food, but if it was a concensus to switch Reno I was kind of curious as to how long the other 2 un-opened bags would last.

The reason he suggested switching him (I would buy the Orijen senior) was because the senior formulas have higher amounts of vitamens and minerals that are suppose to help repair and build the joints. He also suggested taking him to a rehab place that puts the dogs in harnesses and has them swim to build up the muscle strength while being easy on the joints. They had a dog sometime ago that had some issues and that was how they treated it and he lived a lot better afterwards.

I wish I could figure out exactly what he got into. As I have an exterminator spray every 3 months to kill the bugs I doubt it would have been a bug bite. The only other thing I could think of was he got ahold of a toad, as I have found them in the yard before.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think a year is good, I would prefer 1-2 years to add another but we are all different. I'm not sure about the shelf life though, maybe a couple months like 2-4? :confused:
I am going to be very very picky when it comes to the next puppy I get. Handling the two was a handful somtimes but it was a great joy. Kahn was from good lines and had the perfect temperment. Though my poor cat hated him:rolleyes:. My fiance wants the next one to be all black. I love the black/tan or black/red.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Wolfie has been on adult food his entire life. The breeder, who has been breeding GSD's for 25 years, said that it is to avoid the pup from growing too fast for his skeleton. At my first vet visit with Wolfie, I asked the vet about this, and he agreed. It is best for GSD's to be on adult food from the start.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Wolfie has been on adult food his entire life. The breeder, who has been breeding GSD's for 25 years, said that it is to avoid the pup from growing too fast for his skeleton. At my first vet visit with Wolfie, I asked the vet about this, and he agreed. It is best for GSD's to be on adult food from the start.
not all adult food is safe for puppies

to the OP,

great info from Chris and Debbie. If you decide not to feed the rest of the Orijen since its still in the bag can you return it?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not all adult food is safe for puppies

to the OP,

great info from Chris and Debbie. If you decide not to feed the rest of the Orijen since its still in the bag can you return it?
I dont know if I could return it or not. I bought it about a month ago. I still am not sure rather I am going to use the senior food or not. I havent really seen any information one way or the other that helps me make my mind up. Maybe I will just use a glucosamine supplement for now.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Why not give him a joint supplement cosoquin or somthing like. Actually EsterC seems to be something good for joints.

I would not go to the senior formula just for the joint supplements, but that is just me. Orijen is a good company. My guess is that they have put a lot of science into their puppy formula. If they generally are grain free, you do not just want to switch him to an adult formula as it is not necessarily good to go grain free with puppies, but if you do, then using a puppy formula by the trusted company would make sense.

I know about the pain meds, did you have any vaccinations done recently on the dog. Sometimes it takes a few days for a reaction. However, this reaction seems to have happened so quickly. I hate to say it, but it almost sounds like bee stings. You mentioned getting rid of their nests, but they still are around, and if the dog was seriously allergic, I don't know. It is just that I heard of a dog up this way dying from bee stings -- it was swallowing the bees.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why not give him a joint supplement cosoquin or somthing like. Actually EsterC seems to be something good for joints.

I would not go to the senior formula just for the joint supplements, but that is just me. Orijen is a good company. My guess is that they have put a lot of science into their puppy formula. If they generally are grain free, you do not just want to switch him to an adult formula as it is not necessarily good to go grain free with puppies, but if you do, then using a puppy formula by the trusted company would make sense.

I know about the pain meds, did you have any vaccinations done recently on the dog. Sometimes it takes a few days for a reaction. However, this reaction seems to have happened so quickly. I hate to say it, but it almost sounds like bee stings. You mentioned getting rid of their nests, but they still are around, and if the dog was seriously allergic, I don't know. It is just that I heard of a dog up this way dying from bee stings -- it was swallowing the bees.
Im probobly going to end up getting some supplements for him. I have not had any experience using them.

The vet asked if he could cut him open and basicall poke around and look for the issue. He actually let me stand there while he was doing so and his throat was so swollen the doc had trouble putting his finger through it. He couldnt find or feel anywhere a bee may have stung him (at least in his throat) he may have just been stung normally. With all that hair there really wasnt any way to tell. People can be allergic like that I guess dogs can to.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
When Arwen passed, I told the vet they could try to determine what the cause of death was but nothing majorly invasive. I just could not take the thought of it.

Maybe you will never know what the problem was. It is terribly sad and it will not change anything.

I agree with x-raying the hips on the pup to see for sure if there is a problem. Then there are probably many people with good advice how best to supplement if there is.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
i wanted to say I am in agreement with xraying Reno NOW, you can decide on a course of action better when you know what you are dealing with.. I am a huge proponent of water therapy building muscle tone.

I have no suggestions regarding food;)

As for Kahn, you said I think, you had given him a pain med, prior to his reaction..What was it?? I wonder if he was an mdr1 dog (mutant gene) and the reaction was from the pain med.

I would "think" that whatever he was having a reaction to, he would have to have been in contact with it quite soon prior to the reaction. Poor boy, I feel so bad for you and so sad for him:((

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As for Kahn, you said I think, you had given him a pain med, prior to his reaction..What was it?? I wonder if he was an mdr1 dog (mutant gene) and the reaction was from the pain med.

I would "think" that whatever he was having a reaction to, he would have to have been in contact with it quite soon prior to the reaction. Poor boy, I feel so bad for you and so sad for him:((
One was Tramadol and I forgot what the other was. I tossed them as soon as I got home. He had taken them when he was almost 5 months old for the Pano. Mutant Gene?

After doing more and more reading the description of what he went through looked like an EXTREME reaction to getting ahold of a toad. Though the swelling was sudden and fast. Though he showed all the signs of having Pano again. I dont know....

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
It mentioned Duramaxx on the other thread.

Both of these, Tramadol and Duramaxx seem a bit overkill for pano, but I am not a vet and do not know how bad the pano was, only that he was a pup, and pano is often not treated and self-limiting.

Dad takes Tramadol after his shoulder surgery -- it is powerful.

Cujo is now taking Duramaxx for his elbow injury -- also very powerful.

this is why I was wondering why these would be prescribed for panosteitis.

Anyone else have thoughts on that?

I am not blaming the owner here. If the bet orders something, I give it. Recently, I started getting opinions and doing some research on things, but we generally trust our vets for things like meds because they have all that schooling, etc.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I can see why either or both would be prescribed for pano. Years ago, the med of choice for most dogs with pano was bute..they used bute like they use pred today, a "cure all".

I also agree, whatever it was, was a FAST quick allergic reaction to 'something'..so sad:((

1 - 20 of 21 Posts