German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
We usually time out right away as soon as they do it and then roll them on to their backs and say no or stop in a strong voice.if they squirm to get up or try to get away do not let them until they give in and relax and that pretty much says you are the boss and enough is enough.showing teeth helps too.if you let them continue with the cat you'll end up with a cat with no tail or a dead one.dogs that realize your the alpha right away tend to be well behaved dogs and listen well.they will have a generally subdued manner most of the time and try to please you alot and give you lots of little licks.a dog thats always pushing the limits is testing his limits for pack status.never hit your dog for wrongs.the back thing really works.keep at it.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you study pack behaviour its a natural course.when i was learning to become a zoologist my animal of choice to study in my course was the wolf.gsd's tend to have more wolf characteristics than most up with mals and huskys.you should only assert the back roll when it requires it and not use it for every little thing.only serious issues.generally aggression. Tell them no or whatever your command is and then make sure you use consistencey.if need be use the roll.why should the roll be dangerous though?well handled puppies should have this down pat from an early age and be confident and happy with the handler even with the roll in use.it doesn't hurt them just lets them know when they've pushed their limits to far and corrects them before they develope a bad habit.prevention is far better than correction after its learned.you should always be the alpha along with your kids and husband.it natural heiarchy and for the safety of the family that lives with the dog.but to each his own.and whatever works for one may not work for another.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts