German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm searching for a GSD puppy to bring into my family. In an attempt to cover every base I can, I have been considering how my family and I would react to the death of our dog.

I have a tendency to get very attached to those close to me. Of course, I'm anticipating my puppy and I to be very close and therein lies a major hurdle for me to leap before I get comfortable bringing a puppy home. I can't help but think of the dreadful day when my dog leaves me. I'm not sure how I'd react but it goes without saying that I'd be heart broken. Is this something I want to subject my family and me to? Is it rational a reason to avoid purchasing a puppy?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
431 Posts
My coworker and I have discussed this many times, and it is a rational reason in my opinion. I still feel it is worth the joy in having the dog to suffer the pain of losing it, but I know my coworker is to the point where she feels she cannot go through the loss again.
My feeling is that death is a part of life (the worst part), but you cannot stop living in order to avoid it. In my case I feel life will be more full having pets. Our English Bulldog just died in December, and I am overall happy to have been able to share in such a special, though short, life.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have had this thought a few times. Actually I have had this thought about my own family... this was after I realized just how vulnerable I felt loving and worrying about my husband and children.

I have lost people before, my grandmother, a cousin and other distant family members but never someone I shared an everyday life with. Never some one so close to me that I couldnt breath with out them.

About 2 years after my husband and I got married the thought came to me that if I had ever REALLY lost someone close to me I wouldnt have been willing to love my husband. Sometimes I wish (only sometimes) that I never did simply because it comes to mind that one day I will lose him. I feel that way about my children too. Loving people/animals is just asking for pain. Welcoming it even.

I dont know that I would do it again knowing what I know and feeling what I feel now. Its amazing to me even now that some times I love them so much I am over come and my heart actually hurts from the love.

I dont think its irrational at all. Its a serious consideration imo. I wont let it stop me from getting a dog though.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It's super tough to lose your best friend, your dog.
I think maybe even harder than losing a person sometimes.
Amazingly it works both ways too...

the funeral of Petty Officer 1st Class Jon Tumilson

But if I had let that stop me from getting another dog what an even sadder day that would have been.

I would have missed out on the pure joy of having Sheba, Essie, Shadow, Kazar, Maybelline and Good Golly Miss Molly to share my life with.
A couple of them are by my feet now.

That would indeed be sadder.
And there's nothing like a new puppy to get you past your anguish, nothing.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I have lost quite a few dogs in my life, all from old age:( I will remember each one until the day I die, they have all left huge holes in my heart, but I cannot imagine my life without a dog(s) in it. Losing one is the worst part of owning one, but to have never had them in my life, it would have been a lonely one.

There is nothing like the love of a dog:)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I feel that way about my children too.

This I agree totally with because if I lost either of my children then I feel like my life would be pretty much over. I could not get over it, ever. The loss of my husband would be very scary and devastating too, but nothing would be worse than the death of my child. I guess pets are different for me because I expect to outlive them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Losing things is a part of living. It's horrible, but I won't let that stop me from living and enjoying my dog. I absolutely love my girl and I can't imagine how upset I will be when she passes. I will enjoy her while she is here and miss her when she is gone. :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
how do you know your dog is going to die
before you or your family members???

Hey all,

I'm searching for a GSD puppy to bring into my family. In an attempt to cover every base I can, I have been considering how my family and I would react to the death of our dog.

I have a tendency to get very attached to those close to me. Of course, I'm anticipating my puppy and I to be very close and therein lies a major hurdle for me to leap before I get comfortable bringing a puppy home. I can't help but think of the dreadful day when my dog leaves me. I'm not sure how I'd react but it goes without saying that I'd be heart broken. Is this something I want to subject my family and me to? Is it rational a reason to avoid purchasing a puppy?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had many years of fun and love with my last shepherd, and when it was his time to pass I was very sad. But that sadness went away shortly in comparison to the amount of good times I had with him. Now certain things will trigger memories, or I will just be thinking back on Rocky and remembering something about his life and it will make me miss him, but it doesn't make me sad. I have fond memories of him and our life together, and I don't regret any of it just because I had to be sad for a short bit afterwards.

I know the death of a pet can be heart breaking, the loss of any loved one is tough. But I've found that the sadness never lasts long enough to outweigh the happiness you had before the passing.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I've lost dogs and cats one parent and three grandparents, two great grandparents a lot of aunts and uncles along the way and life goes on. They all live on with you afterwards and make your life richer just as you hope you make the lives of those who follow you richer and better.

Sure there has been grief and lots of it but joy too. How can you know joy if you don't know pain? You can't.

I pray my children and grandchildren will all outlive me but I know folks who have been through that pain which must be THE WORST pain possible and make it through and still have meanignful lives.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sincerely appreciate all of your insights. Its really helping me calm my nerves. It seems to me that the reason why I'm fretting about this may be the fact that I've never owned a dog before (despite being a big time dog lover). I may be looking over all the positive sides of bringing a pup into the family.

Thanks once again!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts