German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a guy playing fetch with his pointer, my boy Tilden runs up beside them, the guy asks Tilden to sit, then pets him... the whole transaction took all of 4 seconds maybe, then the guy begins walking over...

<span style="color: #000099">Hey who's pup is this?
</span>
<span style="color: #CC0000">He's mine (smiling, expecting a compliment)
</span>
<span style="color: #000099">(in a harsh tone) You need to work with him!
</span>
<span style="color: #CC0000">(completely lost because Tilden didnt do anything wrong) Excuse me?
</span>
<span style="color: #000099">I said you need to work with him... look at his eyes, he's hungry for attention.</span>

<span style="color: #CC0000">Oh, Well he gets plenty...
</span>
<span style="color: #000099">(cutting me off) Right!
</span>
<span style="color: #CC0000">Um...
</span>
<span style="color: #000099">Dogs need alot of stimulation, especially german shepherds, and to see a dog so willing to please, he...
</span>
<span style="color: #CC0000">Yes, we're involved in obedience and just began herding classes.
</span>
<span style="color: #000099">I don't think you get what I'm saying... He wants YOU he wants to please YOU, I mean look at him... This is a prize animal</span>

<span style="color: #CC0000">I understand what you're saying completely... But you're seeing him for a handful of seconds. Right now I'm talking with my friend while our dogs play - along with stimulation and training, Tilden also has to realize that its not Tilden time 24hrs a day. He's fine.</span>

<span style="color: #000099">(sigh) Well, he's a prize thats all I'm saying...
</span>
<span style="color: #CC0000">Thanks, I'm very aware of that...
</span>
<span style="color: #000099">And I bet he's 100% European lines... I just don't like to see a great dog go to waste</span>

<span style="color: #CC0000">Okay, right, where's your dog? (halfway down the park by the fence staring at cars)</span>

<span style="color: #000099">(he walks away)
</span>

Why oh why can't people mind their own business??? Later I notice him talking to a woman, Tilden is not far from them, they're both staring then the guy motions up to where I am I assume telling the woman that its my dog and who knows what else... I see him shake his head, then squat down and call Tilden over. Tilden walked right past him and ran up to me. Made my day.

·
Registered
411 Posts
its funny to me how many "qualified experts" have no idea what they're talking about. its hillarious your dog ignored him...way to go tilden!

·
Registered
598 Posts
OMG, people are so obnoxious sometimes. I had a guy practically harassing me and my dog at the park the other day - couldn't get enough of my dog, and I'm trying to get out of the park w/Kodee and 3 kids, and this guy is tagging along, trying to play w/my dog as we're leaving. I had to just finally walk off, and leave the guy trailing behind, still trying to get my dogs attention. People are so clueless sometimes.

·
Registered
932 Posts
some people thats for sure what does he think that he is not getting attention in obedience class and herding class he is working to please you there, the park was the dog's time to be a dog and relax, what was he a professional trainer..LOL

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think he wanted you to say..."Yeah, I don't have enough time for him. Why don't you take him?!" - In his dreams!!

·
Super Moderator
7,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally Posted By: TNGSDI think he wanted you to say..."Yeah, I don't have enough time for him. Why don't you take him?!" - In his dreams!!
HA, i thought about it as a joke. going back over (when he was talking to that woman) and saying - you know you're right... do you know anyone that might be able to give him a home with more attention.

my first thought when i mentioned the obedience and herding classes was - uh, dude... how much more individualized could my attention get. im giving commands/tasks... he's completing/"pleasing" me. i should have also asked why he was at a dog park and not out hunting pheasants. waste of a german shorthair pointer

each time im talked into going to a dog park, i'm reminded of why i dont go.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Quote:
And I bet he's 100% European lines...
Like you didn't know this?

What an idiot. He was just trying to impress you. How smart he is. He probably knows someone who has a GSD and he's therefore an expert. (And gosh, I always wonder about people who feel the need to impress total strangers.
)

I hate dog parks. Not the dogs. But I've found that the parks around here attract a ratio of about 30% morons/55% normal people/10% great dog owners. But on weekends, that goes up to about 30% normal people/70%morons, with some truly flaming losers in there. (The great dog owners tend to stay home on weekends, it seems.)

You handled it very nicely.
I would have said something snide like "Thanks for your input. Why don't you pay more attention to YOUR dog?" and walked away after the first statement about needing to pay more attention to Tilden.

Yup, you're far more polite than me.

·
Registered
964 Posts
He is an idiot but at least can still see a good dog. Probably the green eyed jealousy monster got him.

Take it for the compliment and throw the rest away.

Idiots are a dime a dozen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts