German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have enrolled Lexi in a training class (PetSmart) starting next week. My question is, do you recommend using a different collar/leash than one she wears everyday? I did this with my other dog in her Obedience classes and she definitely knew the difference between class and not.

Just wondering what you all think?

Kristina

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
i believe petsmart uses the gentle leader or halti in their classes - i'd think that those would be enough distinction to the dog to know when its "training time".

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I used a slip collar in my Petsmart class years ago. Use what collar you feel best using. If she handles well on a buckle collar use that, if you need a slip use that.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. According to the paperwork I need to use a buckle collar only, no prongs or chokes. I don't know if a martingale counts. I use a choke when walking her because I don't want to her to back out of a collar. I'm not sure how well she will do with just a buckle collar.

Thanks!
Kristina

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
Originally Posted By: umzillaJust remember that you'll want her to listen all the time, not just in her "class collar" ~ it's very easy for dogs to get "collar smart"!
true, but once the dog is trained you can make room for certain allowances. for instance if we're doing training exercises in the park, my dogs are to be more attentive, sit proper, heel properly, down properly. if we're just on a casual walk or at home their form is more relaxed.

i never did puppy classes, so i'm not sure how to do things completely from scratch. using a different language for each can me fun as well... and/or hand signals which for me came in handy with multiple dogs and an aging dog who's hearing was going. 'come' in italian means you can finish peeing then walk over to me. 'come' in english means come now and sit in front of me.

that kinda thing...

anyway, have fun with the classes!

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: umzillaJust remember that you'll want her to listen all the time, not just in her "class collar" ~ it's very easy for dogs to get "collar smart"!

Christine
Agree with Christine. I don't want a dogs to distinguish between how "serious" I am about obedience depending on what collar they're wearing. I want them to happily and confidently perform the way they've been trained to do regardless of what collar they're wearing, what leash I'm using,

and even if they're completely naked

and I'm way across the meadow from them!

·
Registered
339 Posts
One of my friends is a trainer at Petsmart. They do allow martingales in class and for their CGC test.

I personally am not fond of their training but I've heard mixed things everywhere. I suppose with a company like that it all depends on who works where and can vary from place to place.

I've just never had good luck. I even had a petsmart trainer tell me once that I should have my shelter dog Naomi put to sleep because she was dog aggressive and nothing could be done.

She's now fine with other dogs with a lot of patience and proper training.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I watch their training at the store I shop at sometime and laugh. This store used to have some really good trainers but because of management not understanding training fired them. Now only have those they have sent for their 3 weeks (?) training. I watched one the other day tell a dog to sit 5 times before giving a correction. In fact, I don't think she ever gave it a correcton just pulled the dog to her.

·
Registered
288 Posts
We just finished Puppy class at PetSmart in Red Deer, AB Canada and thought it was kind of a joke. We are going to go to a more experienced trainer who breeds Shepherds for the next class. Think we will come out with more in the end.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Originally Posted By: InnuendoI even had a petsmart trainer tell me once that I should have my shelter dog Naomi put to sleep because she was dog aggressive and nothing could be done.
Wow, thats pretty crazy. There's lots more a dog can do with their life than socialize with other dogs!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts