German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Lita's day starts early but fairly quietly as she waits to be fed breakfast until we have eaten. After her breakfast I encourage yoga time for her (a more or less calm period to let food settle). Then her day gets going. Her 'formal' training is short sessions of luring, sit, down and starting the concept of heeling. We have also trained the sit and wait while the door is open and the release before she can go out. This is to prevent bolting out the door every time it is open. She is getting into the habit of that very well.
But then the fun starts. Today she was presented with 'A Ball'! This was a BIG hit. This takes place in our back pasture which also has copious amounts of gopher mounds and deer poop to investigate. The nose is to the ground almost constantly.
After field time, she was introduced to our third vehicle, a 1988 Jeep Cherokee, which, to anyone familiar with that make, does not have the best suspension in the world, so is a bumpy and active ride. Had to deliver a gallon of whey to a friend not far from us where she was able to meet and greet the 5 children and Ruger, a Springer spaniel. Then checking the mail on the way home (mailbox 2.5 miles from house).
Finally, upon reaching home we then had to empty the manure bucket in the horse barn. By this time she was fading and wanted nothing so much as finding a snow pile to flop on.
THEN we had to let the chickens out. She supervised the cleaning of the coop by monitoring chicken maneuvers. All of this finished up with clipping nails on both front feet and being introduced to her new hair brush.
As they say 'A tired puppy is a good puppy.'

Attachments

Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
What a dream, she's living in puppy heaven! Your property is beautiful, what state do you guys live in? if you don't mind me asking!

I plan to move to the more western and mountainous side of the US one day, and this made me want to even more haha

Registered
Great! Nice to hear how she is progressing. I too taught Oskar to sit and wait before allowing him to go outside, or come back inside, sometimes he 'protests' loudly, because the other 3 don't have to do that, haha! Nice that she's discovered tennis balls so early, Oskar wasn't interested in them for quite awhile, now he, almost always, has a ball in his mouth. Isn't it great having a pup when you're retired, and can spend all day with them!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a dream, she's living in puppy heaven! Your property is beautiful, what state do you guys live in? if you don't mind me asking!

I plan to move to the more western and mountainous side of the US one day, and this made me want to even more haha
We live in western Montana, the Bitterroot Valley. The snowcapped range in the background is to the west and is the Bitterroot Range. It is a wonderful place to live.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great! Nice to hear how she is progressing. I too taught Oskar to sit and wait before allowing him to go outside, or come back inside, sometimes he 'protests' loudly, because the other 3 don't have to do that, haha! Nice that she's discovered tennis balls so early, Oskar wasn't interested in them for quite awhile, now he, almost always, has a ball in his mouth. Isn't it great having a pup when you're retired, and can spend all day with them!
Yes, it is important to have the dog wait, IMHO, for many reasons. Not the least of all everyone tripping over everyone else. But also in that you can't always close the door in a hurry so they should wait until they know they can go out or in.

Actually that isn't a tennis ball she has, but a full rubber one. It bounces without getting extreme and rolls on the uneven ground and grass stubble really well.

We actually aren't fully retired, just mostly. And our work is seasonal although will be starting up soon with fruit tree pruning ahead of us. She will be going to work with us so has been learning to ride in all the vehicles. She is an excellent traveler! (Thank goodness) So she will be with us pretty much all the time.

Registered
SO jealous! Would love to live in the country on some acreage. I'm sure Willow would love that too. At least our yard in the city limits is nice. :) I might hire you to do my apple trees! They are in a sorry state.

Can confirm, it is nice here (I live in same area)!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Beautiful dog and property. I have had GSD's working (as opposed to working GSDs) on a horse farm, dairy farm, 25 acres of apple orchard and even exposed to 100 ostiches for awhile, since "working them" isn't possible.
I can't even conceive of being around 100 ostriches! 馃槻

Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
We live in western Montana, the Bitterroot Valley. The snowcapped range in the background is to the west and is the Bitterroot Range. It is a wonderful place to live.
Wow its gorgeous! I figured it was somewhere around Montana, id love to at least visit in the near future, I have a tiny section of family there!

Registered
Have to agree - that view is incredible, and the pup is looking stellar! I have been postponing a photography trip to Montana due to the pandemic. Now you got me jones'n to load up the truck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have to agree - that view is incredible, and the pup is looking stellar! I have been postponing a photography trip to Montana due to the pandemic. Now you got me jones'n to load up the truck.
There are so many incredible vistas and sites to photograph and/or simply enjoy. No, we don't have ocean views but we make up for that in the sheer majesty of the mountains and ancient rock developments, if geology is a subject you enjoy. Then there are the ghost towns, the wilderness, the wildlife....

A word of advice to anyone visiting Montana. Bring all weather gear no matter what time of year you visit. Montana can have snowstorms any day of the year. Really. :D Keeps us on our toes.

Registered
Before COVID I would visit Banff/the Rockies (from Ontario) at least once a year. I love the mountains and would love to visit the mountains in Montana.

Registered
Athena, GSD, dob 5/2021
Your state is beautiful! I visited it a number of years ago--truly big sky country!

We have also trained the sit and wait while the door is open and the release before she can go out.
I am convinced that training Thena to do this has already saved both of us a variety of broken bones. They so love to be right underfoot! Moreover, the dog won't dash out the front door if she sees the squirrel or a deer.

Registered
What a beautiful place and lucky puppy!

Reactions: SMcN
1 - 17 of 17 Posts