German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thursday was Oscar's last vet visit for a while. He had a super dose of ivermectin and stayed the day. Now, hopefully our heartworm treatment is over. We go back in 3 months for a blood test to see if he is still positive, and we have the okay to start increasing his activity!

Today was Oscars first day out in public that wasn't the vet or my workplace. Lots of strange and new things today! We went to a local pet store to pick up dog food and treats. They were busy of course, being a Saturday. He met lots of new people and a dog and he did totally fine! He was friendly and greeted both people and dog, fleetingly but he put himself out there instead of hiding under me.

Then we stopped by my riding barn; I knew it would be slow, we are having a very wet weekend and it was well before feeding time so the barn was pretty quiet and I want him used to the place. He settled pretty well while I chatted with my instructor. He startled just about every time a horse snorted but he seemed to get used to the sight of hem in their stalls soon enough. He steered clear though, thankfully, although he kept trying to investigate open stalls. We even went on a tour around the barn, he had to follow his nose into some mud of course!

So we went home all muddy and nasty and his Daddy decided to give him a bath! His FIRST bath! Poor boy, he was so unhappy about getting wet, but we got the mud off with warm water (no shampoo, we didnt want to strip his coat as he isnt smelly). Now he is relaxing on his blanket with a duck foot for being such a good boy.

I'm proud of him. We had a slightly hectic day, but he was so good. We were on leash the whole time, but he listened to me and stayed close. He's a very shy and nervous boy, very submissive. He did really well though despite that. Of course he was nervous but after a minute started reaching for people to say hi and when a little girl came up to pet him he just sat there kindly and let her pet him.

I look forward to really socializing him and soon I hope to look into maybe an obedience class.

LO

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hopefully his bout with those nasty heartworms are over and you will get a negative result on the test. Good to hear that things are looking up for your boy.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
thats awesome! Hope the heartworms are gone at the next test.

Also, just noticed Oscar shares my birthday!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Sounds like Oscar had a great outing today. I hope his heartworm problem is over.

Lisl has to start preventative when she reaches 65 Lbs according to the Vet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Oscar was adopted as a 2 yr old in December and came from the shelter hw positive. I hope this is the end of treatment, and we will continue preventative. I look forward to turning him into a well socialized dog and helping him get over his fears.

LO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts