·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
-Which breeder should I go with?
-What working line should I look for?
-What trainer should I go to?
-What kind of training should I do?
-What order should I do said training in?
-Should I try getting into Schutzhund as a newbie in any kind of training?
-Which Shutzhund club should I go to if I do?
-What Vet should I go to?
-What series of shots should I get?
-Should I get the shots done at the vet or at a clinic?
-Should I neuter him?
-Should I get a him? or a her?
-If I neuter him, what age?
-After which shots should I start socializing the pup?
-What's the best way to socialize?
-What's the best way to potty train?
-What size crate should I get?
-Should I get a pen?
-Should I feed raw?
-What kind of kibble should I get?
-What are the best/safest bones to get?
-Should I get pet insurance?
-What is the best pet insurance?

Ok, you get the idea. That's just a few of them off the top of my head. And no you don't have to answer these questions... just sharing some of the fun while waiting :D I'm sure I'm not only ocd over thinker out there :)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'd be more worried if you didn't think through these questions and more :). Never be afraid to ask if needed, there is tons of information to sift through on here

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh so many more :D And yes, this site has been great for info. The whole process is quite fun and exciting :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
A lot of the questions you have asked are questions that are up to you to answer. However, I will answer the ones that I feel that I could answer for you and hopefully be able to help you out a bit.

- If I neuter him, what age? I honestly do not recommend neutering under the age of 2. Have you ever read "The Early Disadvantages of Spay/Neuter" by Dr. Bob? If not, read it.

- What's the best way to socialize? Socializing is extremely important. Socialize with people of all ages, races and appearances. Socializing also means that you need to expose your puppy to different types of sights and sounds.

- What size crate should I get? Look into crates that come with a panel so that you can "split" your dog crate to give whatever amount of space you feel is needed for your dog.

- Should I feed raw? A raw food diet is the best diet for a dog. Feeding a raw food diet takes a lot of knowledge, so it's best that you greatly research before feeding.

- What kind of kibble should I get? A high quality and grain free kibble is best. I personally recommend Merrick.

- What are the best/safest bones to get? - Raw bones are good

·
Registered
116 Posts
-Should I get a pen?
Others are way more experienced to answer the other questions, but just having gone through the landshark phase I can answer this one for you!

YES!!! If you can afford it... or something similar... the idea being that you can set it up close to where you are, like the kitchen while making dinner, but you don't have to watch him/her so closely.

I found that offering a treat, or tossing one in, soon made it so our pup would see us pulling out something tasty and he'd run for his pen in excitement!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Did you ever have a puppy or dog before?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts