German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched some Schutzhund trial vidoes and noticed some of the dogs hopped on their front legs as they barked at the men in the teepee things (I'm such a newbie, I don't even know the terminology! :p ) Are they supposed to do that?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think it's a preferential thing or something that just comes along with how you train. I've seen some dogs that bounce, and others just sit still during the bark and hold. I personally like to see the footwork...makes them seem more into the work and less like they're just going through the motions, though I think I prefer a rhythmic bounce over frantic shuffling.
And the teepee is called a "blind". :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've never seen anyone actually train the hopping up and down...think some dogs are just prone to do it...to me it's a waste of energy and when they pull that crap doing something other than a club trial there is a good chance from time to time they won't always get the best bite during a re-attack.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
There is nothing in the rules that says that they can't, so some dogs do. Some people like it because they feel that the dog shows a lot of intensity and willingness to engage when they get jumpy like that, others don't like it because they feel the dogs should contain and focus their energy more narrowly, and not let it leak out through crazy jumping behaviour.

It is one of those grey areas that no one can agree on.

Myself, I find a dog that can stay still and still project the same amount of intensity and power as a dog that is jumping up into the helper's face much more impressive.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can see it both ways - showing more intensity or just wasting energy. I asked the question because when I taught my 3 month old to "Speak", he also bounces!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The teepees are called blinds

The guy is called a helper, decoy or agitator.

The procedure is searching the blinds to find a suspicious guy, barking and holding him until the handler comes up to 'arrest' the guy.

I think some dogs have a natural tendency to project the bark into the agitators face, so they jump while barking. Just my opinion. Others just bark so hard their body jumps.

Some clips of Bart Bellon discussing the Bark and Hold

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Are you asking about dogs that jump in the air while barking or just dogs that bounce on their front feet?

I like to see a dog that is pounding the ground with its front feet during the hold and bark Vs. the dog that settles on its butt. The former is showing more power and more intensity in the guarding.

·
Registered
194 Posts
when one of my buddies grabbed me and tackled me messing around outside my pup ran up to him started barking and doing the hopping thing. her lineage is full of SCH3 dogs so im guessing its a very instinctual behavior for some.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
There may have a genetic tendency, but nothing related to doing or not SchH. Many of our SAR dogs hop while barking when they find the victim. One of them used to jump ON the victim as a pup until we corrected the behavior (dogs cannot touch the victims), and we used to say he wanted to do CPR.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts