German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe you folks can lend some insight to this debate my wife and I have. I recently got our dog a new collar and it is a flat leather collar. Previously he had a rolled leather collar. She seems to think that the flat collars wear away the fur on the neck. I disagree. Any thoughts? :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Is your GSD a long coat or short /medium coat ? With long coats (like our GSD) the flat collar does tend to crush the fur around the neck more. The rolled collars seem to do a better job. I'm not sure how this will affect a short/medium coat though.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Mine doesnt have a collar on period when she is at home... Only time we put a collar on is when we go out, and that is a fur saver collar.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
IMO I think every collar has the potential to break off the coat if worn for long periods of time. right now my dogs don't wear collar, but they probably will wear they're new collars in the house supervised, if they aren't supervised then they don't wear a collar.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I think if the leather is stiff it may be more likely to break the fur. I have used rolled leather, flat leather and nylon. Now I use cotton fabric martingales on mine for the daily wear collar. I get my collars at www.cozycritter.com

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
My dogs don't wear collars either unless we are off the property. I think a rolled leather would be easier on the coat than a flat.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
When we still had Rocky (Belgian Sheepdog-very long coat) we ended up with a rolled leather collar and never had an issue after switching.
He wore his all the time and had no problems.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
It depends on the dog. Some dogs, pretty much any collar with wear the fur. Others, no collars seem to. My terrier mix for example had short stiff fur and he had to wear rolled leather or he'd end up with a bare ring around his neck. Even the rolled collar wore off some fur, but it was a lot less.
Bianca doesn't seem to have a problem with this, but I use a soft web collar in the house just in case. It's a type made for show dogs to not rub the fur off the neck (from White Pine Outfitters.) When we leave the house, I switch to her wide leather collar.
My Golden Retriever also never had a problem, even if I left her 1" wide leather collar on all the time it didn't rub off her fur.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh is long-coated and wears a rolled leather collar. I put a fur saver on him for walks and training, no problems with either one. So who wins-- you or your wife??

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
question to all the people who use fursavers or choke chains as collars. Why?? I would never in a million years use a choke chain or a fursaver as a collar too many things for it to get caught on, but that's my own opinion.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I agree with Steph. A fursaver or choke collar is a training collar, not one that should be left on a dog with tags hanging. That is just asking for trouble!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all of the input ! I will keep an eye on his new flat collar and change it back if necessary.
:thumbup:
Joe

1 - 20 of 23 Posts