German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
After trying many many chew toys and spending way to much money , my daughter found one that Chief just can鈥檛 break down .... at our local grocery store!! It鈥檚 a red and blue rubber ball made by CHUCKIT and only cost 7.99馃榿馃榿If you are in the position I was in get this ball - especially when your dog is younger - you won鈥檛 be disappointed!! Google chuckit dog toy - there鈥檚 a ton of places to buy online

Super Moderator
Just a heads up!Careful with those smooth rubber balls.They can get lodged in their throat and are impossible to remove.Kong makes some silicone rubbery balls that my dogs love to chew and squish and can't seem to destroy.And large enough not to get stuck:)

Registered
Kong makes some silicone rubbery balls that my dogs love to chew and squish and can't seem to destroy.And large enough not to get stuck:)

Big "NO WAY" from me on the Kong Squeak balls that are translucent (silicone?) and squishy. They are apparently magnificent to mouth and squeak (far and away a favorite toy), but one of mine squished it until the seam separated and then his jaw was stuck in it. We had to cut it off of him. Monitor closely with those things and pick them up when you aren't around!

Right now I'm buying the huge Planet Dog "Orbee Tough" balls in size "large" -- they're expensive but holding up, and in this size, they're big enough not to go down the throat. The one I have says "Sol" and is bright orange.

OP, have you tried a black Kong toy (the original conical shape)? The black ones hold up much, much better than the original red ones!

Registered
After trying many many chew toys and spending way to much money , my daughter found one that Chief just can鈥檛 break down .... at our local grocery store!! It鈥檚 a red and blue rubber ball made by CHUCKIT and only cost 7.99馃榿馃榿If you are in the position I was in get this ball - especially when your dog is younger - you won鈥檛 be disappointed!! Google chuckit dog toy - there鈥檚 a ton of places to buy online
Sheba has a ton of toys, (mostly by KONG) but her all-time favorite has to be her XL "Chuck-it" ball. After many months of constant use she has failed to put so much as a scratch on it. It's fairly soft and squeezeable, (great for playing fetch) yet doesn't have a smooth finish like her KONG balls do. (so less of a choking hazard) If her Chuck-it ball has held up this long, it should last forever!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Registered
Just a heads up!Careful with those smooth rubber balls.They can get lodged in their throat and are impossible to remove.Kong makes some silicone rubbery balls that my dogs love to chew and squish and can't seem to destroy.And large enough not to get stuck:)
I think these smooth balls are plain dangerous for this very reason. Saliva makes them too slippery and they easily slide in their throats.
If I use chuck it balls for retrieve, I use these: https://www.chewy.com/chuckit-ultra-rubber-ball-dog-toy/dp/38371?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Chuckit!&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjw0ujYBRBDEiwAn7BKtyB1WWc2-z_3lGrOQEpsJTFDa_oUxYPluIsifFp1Us7ac18wonO6FRoCOU0QAvD_BwE or a planet ball on a rope.
For water retrieve balls I use tennis balls in white socks to prevent tooth damage.
The only balls they free-play with are the planet ones. They are indestructible.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
CHUCKIT XL or L are the sizes I have for Chief and he loves em! They are not completely smooth and do have a texture to them. Chief is a big boy & very strong. The first one he had was a medium - he would sit on his cushion in the living room and chew on it like it was a piece of gum 馃槀

Super Moderator
I'm doing a moderator notification to have your thread moved out of Current Dog Affairs. In the future when you start a new thread, please make sure it's in the appropriate area.

Super Moderator
I
The only balls they free-play with are the planet ones. They are indestructible.
LOL you have not met Tilly :). I agree planet dog toys are the "best" but Tilly has taken out some and I think the planet toy is just plain dangerous and I told them so because they peel off the planets.

Super Moderator
Big "NO WAY" from me on the Kong Squeak balls that are translucent (silicone?) and squishy. They are apparently magnificent to mouth and squeak (far and away a favorite toy), but one of mine squished it until the seam separated and then his jaw was stuck in it. We had to cut it off of him. Monitor closely with those things and pick them up when you aren't around!

Right now I'm buying the huge Planet Dog "Orbee Tough" balls in size "large" -- they're expensive but holding up, and in this size, they're big enough not to go down the throat. The one I have says "Sol" and is bright orange.

OP, have you tried a black Kong toy (the original conical shape)? The black ones hold up much, much better than the original red ones!
Really?!My dogs have been playing with the squishy Kong for almost a year and no split seam yet.But they will tear hunks off of Chuck it's.Depends on the particular dog I guess:)

Super Moderator
The sol is the one that Tilly managed to destroy. The diamond plates seem indestructible but I only use those for play.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts