German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to take a moment and brag about my puppy...friends and family on FB are getting a little tired of all my puppy posts.
Before getting Durzo, I knew GSD's were extremely intelligent, but I'm still blown away by my puppy.

After a week of having him(he is now 9weeks) he knows the flowing cues:
■Kennel
■Come-although it could use improvement-
■Sit
■Lay
■Stay
■Shake
■Up (sits on his back legs and brings his front ones up-almost like "beg")
■He almost has "roll" down as well.
■He already fetches.
■When coming in from a walk he will sit at the front door & wait until being told its okay to enter.

He has had one poop accident and only a handful of pee accidents since we've had him.
I love him to death, and I'm so proud of him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
AND ears up! He's not 9 weeks you liar! He's a new breed of toy GSD and is clearly almost a year! ;) /s

Do you work one completely and consistently until its 9/10 times done or do you just get the general idea and add another?

I got all those done (except fetch, how'd you teach that? I've never been good at an effective retrieve) at about 10-11 weeks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AND ears up! He's not 9 weeks you liar! He's a new breed of toy GSD and is clearly almost a year! ;) /s

Do you work one completely and consistently until its 9/10 times done or do you just get the general idea and add another?

I got all those done (except fetch, how'd you teach that? I've never been good at an effective retrieve) at about 10-11 weeks.

Hahaha
I looove his ears! I've been doing each cue until he's does it 90% of the time, then I add another.
And fetch is actually just something he started doing on his own. He has a green squeaky frog ball that he loves. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lucky duck! Mine will fetch but she likes to taunt me with it and run by me. I never reach for her but I think my dad was chasing her for fun last time he played with her. So, that might explain it...

I've been trying using two of the same toy and can't get her to come back without being excited by the second toy. I think its time for food rewards when she brings it huh?

Your boy is sooo cute! Haha what's his pedigree like?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That's awesome! Nice job!! And he is just adorable!!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
This post made me giggle. I am the same with facebook and people call it Zeusbook now.

Zeus also learned lots at 9-12 weeks and here we are at the at 5 month rebellion stage:

■Kennel
still good, but don't you dare lock me up and leave the room.

■Come-although it could use improvement-

This word does not exist, unless there is food. Than most likely.

■Sit -
If you ask nicely atleast twice

■Lay -
I rather sit, but fine....

■Stay -
For 5 seconds

■Shake -
This and high 5 is great!

■Up (sits on his back legs and brings his front ones up-almost like "beg") -

Works great unless he is playing deadweight outside or is half asleep and you need him to get up and go to bed or outside before work.

■He almost has "roll" down as well. -

ya we don't roll, sometimes we flap from side to side

■He already fetches. -

This is still perfect! but wait till he learns good and bad things to grab. Keep away is WAY more fun than fetch.

■When coming in from a walk he will sit at the front door & wait until being told its okay to enter.

We are working on this now, was easier with small pup, now we have way more energy and excitement. One word "Park" or "do you wanna" and he is at the car before anyone.

Also, he no longer knows his name, or more like "Selectively" knows it. I love this stage. Trainers told us about it and I refused to believe until it happened.

Have fun! =)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like I have some fun stuff to look forward too haha :)
And from what I understand (was told by a nice person on the forums after sending her Durzo's parents' names), his pedigree is mostly Czech with a little bit of East German.
Hope that makes sense-I'm honestly not too familiar with that stuff.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like I have some fun stuff to look forward too haha :)
And from what I understand (was told by a nice person on the forums after sending her Durzo's parents' names), his pedigree is mostly Czech with a little bit of East German.
Hope that makes sense-I'm honestly not too familiar with that stuff.

****look forward to

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine is also Czech/ east german and all that I notice different is how smart she is, much more focus, drive, and attention, and it might be because she is my first girl gsd but she seems like she has a wider range of emotion/likes/dislikes/etc. But I think its just part of the intelligent and dynamic dog she is. She is also my first one from a working line and ill never go back.

·
Registered
87 Posts
New pups are so fun! Congratz on all your progress.

I would recommend doing some restrained recalls to strengthen that exercise. That is probably one of the best things I did with my pup. My pup is now 18mo and her recalls are super solid, both formal and informal (whistle). You can see some of our early work on youtube if you search "wildhaus pup".

Keep up the good work!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts