German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice. We have a 9 week old male GSD we picked up from the breeder 5 days ago. He has vomited 4 of the 5 days we have had him. He does not act sick before or after vomiting, is very active/playful, drinks normally. I'm trying to identify the cause.
The breeder fed him Costco puppy food and we don't have a Costco account so have been transitioning him to Purina Pro Plan puppy food for large breeds. Initially he was not interested in the dry food so we began adding a tablespoon of canned, which gave him plenty of interest. The problem is that he has vomited once each day since the day we brought him home. Not at the same time of day and twice just bile.
We had him at the vet for a wellness check on Monday, I did not mention the vomiting thinking Luka just needed some time to adjust. On Wednesday I had my husband take him back to the vet because of the vomiting. He was fine. Vet took an X-ray, no blockages. He had gained a pound between visits. So I thought maybe I was imagining things. Tonight he vomited his training treats back up. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The only thing the vet did was take an xray??
Well, just like human babies, puppies throw up a lot but not that often so maybe get a fecal, blood, urine test done. Most likely it's nothing but they're so young so can be pretty fragile so better safe than sorry. Also if there is a problem you will want to know early.

Make sure he isn't doing any kind of exercise or excess movement for about 30 minutes to an hour after eating.
It can be hard to control that cuz of all his puppy energy so I use to crate mine right after eating to give her a chance for the food to digest.

·
Premium Member
4,706 Posts
Could be Mega Esophagus if the pup keeps vomiting food.

PetMed: Megaesophagus is a generalized enlargement of the esophagus -- a muscular tube connecting the throat to the stomach -- with a decreased to absent motility. Esophageal motility is required for moving food and liquid down to the stomach.

"When food or liquid is swallowed, it travels through the esophagus, which is designed to expand and contract rhythmically to move foods and liquids to the stomach. When the esophagus is functioning as it should, food moves from the mouth to the stomach within seconds.
In megaesophagus, there are issues with nerve and muscle functioning that cause a motility problem. The esophagus stretches out and muscular contractions aren't efficient. As a result, food doesn't always reach the stomach. It can build up in the esophagus, which eventually will cause the dog to regurgitate.
Regurgitation can occur within minutes of swallowing food, in which case the food looks exactly as it did going in. If regurgitation occurs hours after eating, the food reappears in a tubular or sausage shape.
Constant regurgitation predisposes animals to aspiration pneumonia, which occurs when a dog inhales during an episode of regurgitation, bringing food into the lungs. This can cause a terrible, potentially life-threatening infection. Many owners of dogs with megaesophagus encourage their dogs to hold a sit position for 10 minutes after eating or drinking anything, to allow the food and water to eventually reach the stomach with the effect of gravity.
Some pet owners use a "Bailey Chair," which is a piece of equipment that functions like a high chair for dogs, keeping them in an upright position during meals. You can maintain a dog in the Bailey chair for 10 to 30 minutes after a meal, allowing gravity to move the food down the esophagus and into the stomach."
Megaesophagus: The Food Regurgitation Disease

Here is an article written by a friend: http://www.piekasplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/A-Guide-To-Mega-Esophagus.pdf

Soak the kibble in water until soft and then feed to see if that helps.

Agree with Carmen, please get a good quality kibble.
ACANA: http://acana.com/our-foods/heritage/puppy-large-breed/Store Locator | Acana
FROMM’S: http://frommfamily.com/products/gold/dog/dry/#heartland-gold-large-breed-puppy Store Locator: Find a store that carries Fromm
NATURE’S VARIETY: http://www.instinctpetfood.com/product/instinct-raw-boost-grain-free-kibble-large-breed-puppy-food-chickenStore locator: Find A Store | Nature's Variety

Moms:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts