German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

So Cody went to the vet last weekend and weighed in at 90 pounds he is 1 year and about 2 weeks old.

I know the breed standard for males is 75-85. Cody is in no way fat, he's a lean, fit dog. We hiked 9 miles not long ago. What im getting at is....what's wrong with his weight? The vet thinks he'll get to 100 pounds, and I tend to agree since he's still growing.

But the standard says 75-85. he'll end up near 100. He's in shape. Fed TOTW. by all means in good shape. not that i plan on showing him, but i'm wondering why he would be considered overweight?

thanks for you thoughts

oh, for those of you who don't know him, here's a few pics of him at 1 year/90 pounds

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
How tall is he at the shoulder?

I don't think he's considered overweight, just oversized.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Konotashi,

im not sure actually...he is tall and long, but I have no meausurement to provide on height

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I dont think weight really matters in the standard.

Height does though.

Sinister is over the standard at 28' at the shoulder and he weighs 80 pounds.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Oh....

P.S. Cody is my favorite! He's such a handsome boy! :wub:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you Laren :)

i should figure out his shoulder height

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
German Shepherd Dog | American Kennel Club

Size, Proportion, Substance
The desired height for males at the top of the highest point of the shoulder blade is 24 to 26 inches; and for bitches, 22 to 24 inches.

The German Shepherd Dog is longer than tall, with the most desirable proportion as 10 to 8½. The length is measured from the point of the prosternum or breastbone to the rear edge of the pelvis, the ischial tuberosity. The desirable long proportion is not derived from a long back, but from overall length with relation to height, which is achieved by length of forequarter and length of withers and hindquarter, viewed from the side.

It doesn't say anything about weight, at least if it does I dont see it?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you're right laren. the AKC doesn't seem to mention weight. I googled "german shepherd standard" and found some links that do provide weight standards, but maybe it was more of a weight suggestion haha

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
He looks good to me. Moses was 90 lbs at a year too and he's a svelt 100 now, very lean. I wouldn't worry about him 'being over standard'. You know if he's at a good weight or not.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Our GSD, Rappex, who has since gone to The Bridge, was 90 pounds at 1 year. He topped out at about 95 pounds and he was a lean, efficient athlete. Cody looks great to me, so I wouldn't be worried about a specific number. Especially with all of the hiking you do with him.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks alpha mom

like you said..i can tell he's in good shape. but i still wonder how he ended up so much bigger than the "standard" gsd

·
Super Moderator
32,588 Posts
I dont think weight really matters in the standard.

Height does though.

Sinister is over the standard at 28' at the shoulder and he weighs 80 pounds.
Yes, it does: WEIGHT AND HEIGHT CHART FOR THE GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG

Males:

• Height at the wither 60 cm to 65 cm (23.62 inches - 25.59 inches)
  • Weight 30 kg to 40 kg. (66.14 pounds - 88.18 pounds; Midrange = 77 pounds)
Sinister weighs the same as Keefer, and both of them are well within the standard. :)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi MrsMiaW,

thanks for sharing Rappex's weight.

i wonder how long ago the standard weight was determined? has the quality of food gotten that much better than in return we're getting bigger adult dogs?

Cody has eaten grain-free food (BB, TOTW) most of his puppyhood with Science Diet and Eukanaba sprinkled in for BM issues

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Yes, it does: WEIGHT AND HEIGHT CHART FOR THE GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG

Males:

• Height at the wither 60 cm to 65 cm (23.62 inches - 25.59 inches)
  • Weight 30 kg to 40 kg. (66.14 pounds - 88.18 pounds; Midrange = 77 pounds)
Sinister weighs the same as Keefer, and both of them are well within the standard. :)
Oh I didn't see that in the AKC standard?

I meant Sinister is over the standard because he is 28' at the shoulder

·
Super Moderator
32,588 Posts
Not sure about the AKC standard, that's the German standard.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Depends on what standard you want to go by. There's several different standards.

·
Registered
301 Posts
thanks alpha mom

like you said..i can tell he's in good shape. But i still wonder how he ended up so much bigger than the "standard" gsd
there will always be variations in breeds but if it does not impede his original intended use,hes healthy then no one should gasp and say"oh no he's too tall or heavy" for the standard.standard is just it. A loose term for the average.but there will always be the odd bigger one or smaller.its when people take the odd one and selective breed it over and over you get the modern day domestic dog. Without the "odd" one the domestic dog would not be here today.hes gorgeous so no worries!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for your input tierra!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've heard about King Shepherds. 90-150 lbs

Arlo is 9 months and a little over 90 (92-93). His parents an easy 110. I prefer the bigger dogs.

No idea where our 10 week old female weighs in at..

·
Super Moderator
32,588 Posts
standard is just it. A loose term for the average.
Actually, no - the standard is not an average. It's the weight range the breed is SUPPOSED to be. But there are a lot of dogs out of standard, and I agree that it doesn't mean they're bad dogs. A dog bred from two larger parents will be a larger dog, it's simple genetics. With so many oversized dogs these days, the actual average of the total GSD population is probably NOT within standard anymore. There are a lot of breeders who don't care about the standard and are breeding for larger size.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts