German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! This is my first post finally after doing sooooo much research my brain hurts! My family and I have recently adopted a little boy by the name of Lakota. He is a white GSD. We've had him for 1 week so he is now 9 wks old. He is extremely smart (as all of you know with your own babies). We are still in the midst of crate training and he has finally gotten to the point where he stops crying/screaming after about 5-10 minutes. He is still having some potty issues but that is to be expected. He has 3 meals a day. He's not a real big eater right now. He has already learned sit, stay, come and down (obviously is not perfect at it yet). We do 10 minute sessions with him about 3 times a day w/ high value treats. He's quite calm......when I'm next to him. THAT'S my problem. If I move anywhere from his site he screams. As soon as I move he is right under my feet. He is literally my shadow. He doesn't do this with anyone else in the house. We recently lost our rescue boxer, Sadie Mae. She had SEVERE separation anxiety. We went through 2 couches, a chase lounge, about 40 sets of blinds, a full room of carpet down to the concrete, doors, door and window molding, cabinets and when we crated her she would try to eat her paws off! She broke all 4 canines and ended up breaking her jaw in the crate. After many visits to the vet she was eventually put on clomipramine which worked wonders for her. She died this year from a rattlesnake bite. She is sooooo missed. THIS is what I'm so scared of w/ Lakota. I'm afraid he's going to end up w/ separation anxiety when away from me. I am a stay at home mom so I'm always here w/ him (and our other fur kids). During the day for his naps I put him in his crate so he has time away from me. We are socializing him w/ everything you guys have suggested and will continue to do so. Is it normal for him to be this way with me? If my husband is holding him and I leave the room to go in to the kitchen he goes nuts! I never pay any attention to him when he's acting out.
I completely ignore him until he is calm. Not even eye contact. I just don't want to go through with him what we went through w/ Sadie Mae. All my fur kids are rescues that came from abuse cases except Lakota. So I feel we have the perfect opportunity to mold a wonderful dog because he has no abusive past or issues to deal with. Am I doing something wrong with him? Is this normal? Can I do more? I am truly scared (and probobly over reacting).
I know GSD's are known to be velcro dogs but I just don't want this to end up being a major behavior issue. Help me please. Thank you so very much in advance! :confused: Here are a few pic of Lakota.
Lakota at 8 weeks

8 weeks

9 weeks

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
He's very cute. A 9 week old puppy is going to want to be with you. He's a baby and you're his mommy. Heck my 11 month old dog still wants to lay at my feet every evening.

How about some crate exercises. Put the puppy in a crate someplace close to you. As soon as he is very quiet, let him out. That is his reward for being quiet. Gradually, increase the time he's in it, but still let him out often. You'll have to let him out every hour for potty training anyway.

Also, he's beautiful!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I followed Leerburg's advice and put the crate in the garage (climate controlled.) I had to keep the crate there for 3 days, but by the end of day 3 the screaming had stopped. She will still whine and jump around now, but zero screaming or barking.

Brembo spent a good portion of her time in the crate for those first days. We would take her out to potty very frequently, fed her in the crate, and let her out on the leash for 30 minutes at a time twice per day. She now loves her crate and goes in willingly.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
He's very cute. A 9 week old puppy is going to want to be with you. He's a baby and you're his mommy. Heck my 11 month old dog still wants to lay at my feet every evening.

How about some crate exercises. Put the puppy in a crate someplace close to you. As soon as he is very quiet, let him out. That is his reward for being quiet. Gradually, increase the time he's in it, but still let him out often. You'll have to let him out every hour for potty training anyway.

Also, he's beautiful!
Agree enthusiastically with all the above. Would only add that you should leave the room for gradually increasing periods of time... start this when he is doing well with you in the room.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Lakota sure is a cute little fellow! :)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Your pup is soo cute!
It brings back memories of when my Lakota was that small. She was quiet then, now she can be very talkative. My guess is the new surroundings are scarey and he'll probably settle down shortly.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
You know what the problem is so now you have to take small steps to encourage him to do what you want him to do. Love your puppy but remember he is going to grow to be a dog and sometimes the hardest thing to do is tough love but you must.

Like posted above small steps and reward the behavior you like. Teach him to be more confident and socialize him alot. He is just 9 weeks old and only wants to be with you so you must build his confidence and that will come with age and your training. good luck you have all the time in the world to change any behavior he is just a baby.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome to you and Lakota ... he's a good lookin lil rascal !!! :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Your rescue Boxer sound just like my GSD Mix we had for 14 yrs. She had severe SA. Damaged all of the same things your dog did untill she passed in my arms suddenly one day. I never thought I would be upset when she passed but was heartbroken when she died. I waited 2 years and bought a 6 month old GSD last spring. The first few days I also was terrified because she followed me everywhere. I was terrified of her having SA. Needless to say, she has turned out to be perfectly fine but I understand your fear as only someone who has spent 12-14 years with a dog that has SA can understand the fear of raising another dog with SA. I read just about every thread on this forum regarding SA and followed the advice and everything has worked out. Good Luck and I am sure the dog will be just fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much to all of you for the advice. I have been doing all that you have recommended but I think it's just going to take some time. As BadLieutenant said, you just kinda freak out because you know how absolutely horrible SA is to deal with. Sadie Mae was so extreme w/ her SA that she went to 5 different vets for different opinions and they all said they have never seen anything like it. It's so scary! I know I'm most likely over reacting...I just can't help it. I'm calm around Lakota especially when he's reacting to my walking away or leaving him. I believe in tough love so I'll just keep doing what I've been doing as you guys suggested and wait this phase out. Thank you again and I look forward to learning more from all of you. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
I too put my pup in garage for two days. He was annoying. It was fairly warm that week so putting him in the garage was fine. Baement would work too. This was the only way for us to get sleep.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually don't have a problem with him at night at all. He is not crated at night and sleeps in his bed next to my side of the bed. He only cries 2 times to go potty and then he comes back in and goes straight to sleep again. It's basically during the day that happens to be the problem. I guess I should be happy that I am able to sleep and just have to deal with this during the day. I put him in his crate during his "nap" time at specific times of the day. I have him on a schedule. He stops crying in his crate after a few minutes and then falls asleep. BUT, when he's out of his crate he is my shadow. If for whatever reason he can't get to me or see me then he goes crazy! He is blocked off to the living room only right now. I feel it's way too soon for him to be able to have free run of the whole house. He goes for 2 walks a day and we also go to the park for about half an hour before I have to pick up my children from school. He also gets a little over an hour (total in a day) of play time in our fenced in backyard. He's very calm in the house....if he's next to me.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
It's NORMAL to have him want to be with his pack. All our puppies call to their 'stupid humans :) ' when we forget about them.

I use baby gates and closed doors with puppies because I agree my pups don't get free range of the house. But I still have them in the room I'm in. I move the crate around the house if I need to use it with me. But generally I just organize my day so when my pup is up I stay in a few rooms. And I get other chores/stuff done when she's crated and asleep.

The biggest help for this is when I really and truly am able to exercise/socialize my pup to truly wear them out. So I visit friends with the pup. Have friends come over. Anyone with a 'good' dog gets time with my pup so they can play. And off leash hiking is the key that really makes the difference.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Always make the crate rewarding too. I would use a KONG and fill it up with treats and you can also use his food and when you put in him give him his KONG. One thing that makes the crate rewarding quickly is I feed both my dogs in it. I just say Sonny crate and he runs to it during dinner/breakfast time and my other one just runs to it and waits for her food. After I feed them I let their food settle and keep them in there for about a 1/2 hour then we go outside for potty.

He is a cutie and congrats.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts